• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it Unusual to Not Have Any Obsessions at All?

Bellatrix

Space Left Deliberately Blank
I hear so much about how people with Asperger's Syndrome tend to focus their energy and enthusiasm towards a particular interest of theirs, and how this usually becomes an obsession for them, but I have to say that I just cannot relate to this. When I was very young (about 4) I guess one could have said that I was 'obsessed' with maps and the letters of the alphabet, but since then I've had a (very) wide range of interests.

Is this unusual for someone 'on the spectrum'? Is it a possible indicator that I actually have something else, and not Asperger's Syndrome?

I would say no, it's not unusual. One thing I've learned is that no two cases of Aspergers or Autism in general, as far as I know, are exactly the same. Everyone's case is unique to some aspect. There are some aspects of Aspergers that I don't have or identify with. It's normal.

I also have had a wide range of interests, but each one seems to have had a turn as an obsession. Often I have had more than one at a time. But I don't think I experience them as intensely as the stereotypical obsession. I think the term "special interest" describes it better.

I tend to have a few narrow interests at a time, which change every once in a while, rather than one obsession that lasts my life. I don't know if that still counts as obsessions though as I think about them all day.

Chemistry, Maths, Particle Physics, Collecting DVD series, Ham Radio, researching Prime numbers, computer hacking.

Just a few of my "interests". :D

Chemistry, Maths, Particle Physics, Collecting DVD series, Ham Radio, researching Prime numbers, computer hacking.

Just a few of my "interests". :D
In the early 80s,I was involved in a project for SLAC on their PEP project ;)

My 'special interests' tend to come and go, or vary in intensity. They can be affected by external factors, such as what's going on in my life, depression, work, etc. I have been through inbetween perionds where I haven't had any one particular interest.

I don't have a special interest. I have PDD-NOS, which is very similar to Asperger's Syndrome.

They don't register as obsessions to the person who has them; but if you, say, reread all the Harry Potter books every month, to you it's because they are good books and you enjoy reading them, but an NT or a psychiatrist would pathologize it and call it obsession.

its not weird. i have a wide range of interests, the Asperger's just makes me feel very strongly about those interests and many become obsessions. others have more narrow interests, as said before we are all unique

Bellatrix its not often I quote my friend Vix who is Neurotypical yet understands those with Aspergers Syndrome and Autism but I feel this quote will help you ok. A few years back, I asked her 'Do I raise awareness for Autism and Aspergers Syndrome?' Most of what she said wouldn't apply. She told me 'Hazel, anyone with Autism Spectrum Disorders doesn't have the same symptoms' I have come to realize it also like my boyfriend has Aspergers Syndrome has Echolalia and I don't.
I tend to daydream when I'm bored, he doesn't. I guess all I'm trying to say is just because you don't have obsessions doesn't mean to say you don't have Aspergers Syndrome.

Im glad we all helped you Bellatrix. Im sure if Vix knew she helped in her own way by helping me, she would be going "Im glad" ;) I wont ask Vix to come here but she helped me and she helped you in her own very special little way.

Echolalia - that's when someone repeats, word for word, what someone else has just said, isn't it? Well, yes, I don't do that either, although when I was a pre-teen I recall that I sometimes did, for some bizarre and long-forgotten reason.

Hazel, Vix might like it here. There's no harm in asking, is there? I'm pretty sure a person doesn't need to be on the spectrum to belong to 'AspiesCentral'.

It is but lets say you do it to me, your doing it in your own voice but using my pitch and tone to do it. It is usually used when a kid is trying to speak. Nothing can be done to cure it. He knows how to do it and to him hes trying to get a reaction or even he might be agreeing with me when he does it to me. Its found in Torretts, ASD and other things but in the ASD or Autistic Spectrum Disorders, it doesnt go away by itself.

I'll try my very best to get her here okay for people I know okay ... your in the list of people okay.

I wouldn't say it's unusual. I used to have one or two obsessions for many years but lately, I haven't really had any. I now consider them just interests, not obsessions. But I think it's hard to say exactly what is or isn't 'usual' for someone with Asperger's Syndrome because no case is exactly the same. Either way, it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom