1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Is It True That Aspies Tend To Be Unusually Good Looking ????

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by SPINDLESHANKS, Dec 31, 2016.

1. SPINDLESHANKS

SPINDLESHANKS Well-Known Member

It's something that's often said and i've seen a few that were very striking !
    This is me and was taken last summer , first chance to see me standing up , shocked ? , not claiming anything personally just interested in opinions.

https://goo.gl/photos/KFQDuUUhdUrwfn5Q7

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. toothless

toothless this is mr shadow,my support cat

ive heard that stereotype about the whole spectrum,and i think it is only slightly true.
    reason being is,we dont tend to ruin our bodies in the same way NTs do like partying,heavy smoking,getting absolutely wasted on alcohol/drugs and we dont have typical body language so we dont develop a lot of wrinkles from all those facial movements that NTs do.
    again,you will always find aspies and auties who do all those things but its just something ive come across.

however i dont care what i look like,ive been called ugly all my life even when i had all my teeth but ive got no interest in looks so i could have horns growing out my head and rotten teeth and it wouldnt bother me,when people call me ugly it makes me wonder why they are so bothered about looks to point out to me how i look,to me all humans are is generic shapes of flesh, i dont get the concept of beauty.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr Allen

Mr Allen Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Well 30 years ago I was compared to Jason Donovan, the Australian actor, this was way back in the mid 1980s when he sported a Mullet, pardon? Even in the 80s when Mullets were in fashion I never had one.

4. Southern Discomfort

Southern Discomfort Smarter than the Average Bear V.I.P Member

I've never heard of this. For me I have to ask what is "good looking"? A subjective term based around someone's appearance? Their facial and body structure? Their clothes and hair style? Their posture and gait?

For me I haven't seen many female autistics which represent what I consider the apex of beauty. Most seem like the girls who are the non-conformists of sociality, who will have the green hair, piercings and lipstick. And that's not necessarily what I think is attractive. They look like ordinary women which is surprising when looking at most autistic guys who wear clothes that don't match, unstyled hair and pale, who can not look like "typical" men. But of course I'm generalising. Taking me for example, I have a big beard with bronze beads in it and wild, messed up hair. I don't think I fit into this margin so well. But don't have my opinion mistaken, even as a asexual guy I can still look at some male autistics with the stereotypies of a geek and think they're good looking. Flawed in their looks to most people but I think "flaws" are actually perfect, it makes them real to me because I think it says, "I'm not trying to be special, just me."

But before I digress. Do I think that Aspies - or all autistic in general are unusually good looking? Yes. The ones I generally see are usually good looking given their neurotype.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. ksheehan88

ksheehan88 :)

When you say unusually good looking... Do you mean, good looking in an unusual way, or very good looking, more so than NTs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Warmheart

Warmheart Something nerdy this way comes V.I.P Member

With my hair being like God's afterthought, "Whoops, almost forgot to do her hair.... hurry and gimme that crayon, I'll do a quick scribble..."

To my eyes being noticeably crossed...

To my distinctly chimplike posture as I have no idea where my body is in space...

To the dyspraxia that gives me my very own Ministry of Silly Walks...

Yup, I'm like, you know, the whole package. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. toothless

toothless this is mr shadow,my support cat

sorry to take this thread off topic but i really have to say something and i dont know how else to say it; Warmheart , have you ever tried weighted wrist/ankle bracelets? i got some from sensory direct as a christmas present [but wore them a lot earlier than that] and they really help me understand/feel where my body is,im going to buy another two for my ankles or resurrect my heavy mountain horse steel toe cap boots from the back of my car boot.
    i can strongly recommend them from sensory direct as every other shop i found who sold similar for autists were really childish type ones,mine are plain navy with the shop logo on them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. OkRad

OkRad Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I am not good looking. I am short and small and scrawny and do not even look like I possess any gender at all. I would try in the past, and maybe , if I really tried I could be "cute" but certainly not anything beyond "cute." And that was if I tried tried tried.

BUT I am way happier now that I do not try. I like being my androgynous self now. I wish I had like my self a long time ago.

I do have startling blue eyes (or at least when I was young) and what I HAVE noticed about auties and aspies is that we tend to have very wide an open childlike eyes. I am not sure if this has to do more with the way we are like kids than something about the actual structure of our eyes . Maybe the way we carry our eyes?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

I don't know what to say as far as the quality of my looks go. But I will tell you that a lot of people tell me that they wish that they look as young as I do for my age. Everybody tell me that I look 15 years younger than I really am.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Mr Allen

Mr Allen Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm 40 but according to various quizzes on Facebook I look 28, but I don't care, my take is that as long as the Bar staff in most Pubs think I'm old enough to get served. fair enough.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OkRad

That is a great way to look at it. I am glad you posted this. I, too, look way way younger than I am . See, maybe we are all beautiful in some way! :) I say we are.

Who needs NT rules and guidelines for beauty. I have always found intelligence WAY MORE attractive than anything else. In fact, I am blind to looks when I am around intelligence. And since everyone on here is smart, well, YOU ARE ALL FREAKIN GORGEOUS!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Telsa

Telsa Mr. Brown Shoes

I don't know? Never heard that before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. OkRad

SO cute! You all have to stop posting your pics. You are making me feel bad! J/K :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

That why there's make-up, and most importantly "Photoshop".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

Although true enough I am not officially diagnosed, I am certainly not on the upper level of good looks. I think just occasionally I can pass for ok and it is true that I tend to attract the opposite sex, which in truth, I have no idea why or how, but there you go and my husband finds me "you know what"? Sorry, I feel always so arrogant even to say what other think of me.

So, if good looks is the basic trait of an aspie, I guess I must be an nt after all!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Telsa

Telsa Mr. Brown Shoes

I've noticed that many people on the spectrum look much younger than they actually are. I look very young. If it wasn't for the baldness, it would be much worse. But I sure would like my hair back...

• Like Like x 1
  17. ksheehan88

ksheehan88 :)

WOW....

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Warmheart

Warmheart Something nerdy this way comes V.I.P Member

Thanks toothless wrist and ankle weights sounds fantastic! I'll check out sensory direct. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  19. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

• Informative Informative x 4
  20. Katherine Rawstron

Katherine Rawstron Colourfreak

I've always looked young for my age, but then, most of my family does. I'm neither ugly nor drop dead gorgeous, and that's fine by me - attractive enough not to have people looking away in disgust, and plain enough to be taken seriously. Anyway, beauty's in the eye of the beholder, so there!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1