• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it possible that my ASD has something to do with this?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
My favorite video game genre is turn based role playing games. I don't care if it's a WRPG or a JRPG I just love RPG's that are turn based in general. I'm playing Dragon Quest 1 for the NES right now and its really fun.

But it appears that 99.99% of the human population seems to hate turn based combat in RPG'S, everyone seems to call it bad game design that is outdated. That video where super popular game reviewer Videogamedunkey made a video where part of it has him say turn based RPG's are "The polar opposite of fun." or something to that effect which in my mind just greatly vocalizes the general dislike of this genre a lot of people have.

What I find interesting is that people constantly criticize these games for being repetitive. People with ASD generally tend to like repetition and routine, so is it possible that the only reason I love this genre so much is because I'm autistic? What do you guys think?

I know a lot of people who enjoy turn based games. I personally went off them as I got older. I'm sure it appeals to many people, regardless of where they may or may not lie on the spectrum. It's quite a relaxing gameplay style.

Ed

I'm with you on this one.

Back in the day, I played alot of such games. Final Fantasy (the original!), Dragon Warrior (also the original! And yeah, it is really fun, I loved it! Beat it some time ago), and later on things like FF2/3, Lufia, and then into the PS2 era there were games like Okage (I *loved* that one), Shadow Hearts 2, SMT: Nocturne, stuff like that.

I dont play JRPGs much these days... main reason is I'm not very patient about long cutscenes (and at some point the genre got obsessed with them, whereas I'm used to games like the old NES ones that are rather sparse on text) and I need a challenge for a game to hold my attention, and at this point most JRPGs are way too easy for me. Well, TRADITIONAL JRPGs anyway. The "dungeon crawler" sort like Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey are freaking brutal. But I didnt find those until much later.

So, I ended up getting into roguelikes. There's plenty of games like Binding of Isaac that are full of action, but there's about 5 gazillion turn-based ones. From traditional roguelikes like Nethack or Crawl, to simple-yet-deep ones like Cinco Paus or 868-HACK, or even the brain-bending Hyperrogue (my personal favorite). They give me what I generally wanted out of JRPGs... strategic/tactical turn-based combat, alot of depth, and a very high challenge. And some are big on extreme complexity, lots and lots of character stats and things, full of opportunities to min-max.

And I can tell you right now, they're popular even though ALOT of those games feature very primitive graphics (as in, ASCII), and like your RPGs they're all turn-based. And the learning curve is usually *brutal*. Something like Crawl can take thousands of hours to actually beat. Yet with all of that... there's quite the community around these. And ALOT of very talented devs that make them.

And it's the same with RPGs. Not just JRPGs, but any other sub-category like CRPGs or those first-person dungeon crawlers. Steam has quite a few of those, and I've found a bunch on the Switch too.

To say that turn-based games are "the polar opposite of fun" is just silly.

Heck, have a look at this: davidvinc

I've been watching some of this guy's videos lately. They're ALL about the sorts of games you're talking about. And it's not exactly an unpopular channel. If you want some JRPG love from Youtube, that's a good place to start. Or if you're into LPs, check out a guy by the name of HCBailly.

Yeah, it aint just you, and it aint just the autism. Things like Final Fantasy (which started out as a very slow-paced, grindy-as-heck NES game) would never have gotten so big if they werent fun in their turn-based incarnation. There's a million of these games for good reason!

I'm with you on this one.

Back in the day, I played alot of such games. Final Fantasy (the original!), Dragon Warrior (also the original! And yeah, it is really fun, I loved it! Beat it some time ago), and later on things like FF2/3, Lufia, and then into the PS2 era there were games like Okage (I *loved* that one), Shadow Hearts 2, SMT: Nocturne, stuff like that.

I dont play JRPGs much these days... main reason is I'm not very patient about long cutscenes (and at some point the genre got obsessed with them, whereas I'm used to games like the old NES ones that are rather sparse on text) and I need a challenge for a game to hold my attention, and at this point most JRPGs are way too easy for me. Well, TRADITIONAL JRPGs anyway. The "dungeon crawler" sort like Wizardry or Etrian Odyssey are freaking brutal. But I didnt find those until much later.

So, I ended up getting into roguelikes. There's plenty of games like Binding of Isaac that are full of action, but there's about 5 gazillion turn-based ones. From traditional roguelikes like Nethack or Crawl, to simple-yet-deep ones like Cinco Paus or 868-HACK, or even the brain-bending Hyperrogue (my personal favorite). They give me what I generally wanted out of JRPGs... strategic/tactical turn-based combat, alot of depth, and a very high challenge. And some are big on extreme complexity, lots and lots of character stats and things, full of opportunities to min-max.

And I can tell you right now, they're popular even though ALOT of those games feature very primitive graphics (as in, ASCII), and like your RPGs they're all turn-based. And the learning curve is usually *brutal*. Something like Crawl can take thousands of hours to actually beat. Yet with all of that... there's quite the community around these. And ALOT of very talented devs that make them.

And it's the same with RPGs. Not just JRPGs, but any other sub-category like CRPGs or those first-person dungeon crawlers. Steam has quite a few of those, and I've found a bunch on the Switch too.

To say that turn-based games are "the polar opposite of fun" is just silly.

Heck, have a look at this: davidvinc

I've been watching some of this guy's videos lately. They're ALL about the sorts of games you're talking about. And it's not exactly an unpopular channel. If you want some JRPG love from Youtube, that's a good place to start. Or if you're into LPs, check out a guy by the name of HCBailly.

Yeah, it aint just you, and it aint just the autism. Things like Final Fantasy (which started out as a very slow-paced, grindy-as-heck NES game) would never have gotten so big if they werent fun in their turn-based incarnation. There's a million of these games for good reason!
Have you played any other Megami Tensei game? MegaTen is one of my favorite series. I'm playing Strange Journey Redux which is similar to Etrian Odyssey

Have you played any other Megami Tensei game? MegaTen is one of my favorite series. I'm playing Strange Journey Redux which is similar to Etrian Odyssey

Nope. I got rid of my PS2 years ago (after having it break and get replaced NINE TIMES... to say I hated the thing is an understatement. What a piece of junk... it was the flat model, you see...). And while I used to have a DS, that didnt last long. The thing is too awkward and hard to hold, my arm flares up after only a couple of minutes of trying to use that, so I had to get rid of that too. So that's the SMT series out the window for me. I actually had a copy of DDS2 but the PS2 breathed it's last before I actually got to try it.

Well, technically I could play the PS2 ones on the emulator, but actually getting the bloody things is a giant pain and I only just recently got ahold of the emulator itself.

These days, if it aint on PC (or easily emulated) I dont play it. With rare exceptions for the Switch.

Nope. I got rid of my PS2 years ago (after having it break and get replaced NINE TIMES... to say I hated the thing is an understatement. What a piece of junk... it was the flat model, you see...). And while I used to have a DS, that didnt last long. The thing is too awkward and hard to hold, my arm flares up after only a couple of minutes of trying to use that, so I had to get rid of that too. So that's the SMT series out the window for me. I actually had a copy of DDS2 but the PS2 breathed it's last before I actually got to try it.

Well, technically I could play the PS2 ones on the emulator, but actually getting the bloody things is a giant pain and I only just recently got ahold of the emulator itself.

These days, if it aint on PC (or easily emulated) I dont play it. With rare exceptions for the Switch.
A lot of the older games are easily emulated as they are SNES games. They are fun.

Dragon Quest, Lufia, Zelda, love top down 2d dungeon crawlers. I only got into them about 5 years ago, never played them when a new thing. Don't like pokemon much but would play if desperate.

The reason I like them is I can't play 3d games (except early block style ones like Lara Croft) without feeling dizzy/ vertigo stuff .

Always good to find recommendations in the genre.

There's only one comparable in android that I know of ( most claimants have crappy/weird movement control) and that's Stranger Things: The Game - it was developed as a promo for season 1 of the tv show.

Last edited:
I've always loved turn-based games. And I do enjoy repetition in games, such as Harvest Moon.

Not a fan of that. But dont mind turned base like xcom. For some reason the visuals on jrpgs made me physical ill.

I love the classic Fallout games (1 and 2), which have turn based combat. I think turn based combat is great because it actually lets me think and consider what I'm going to attack with, instead of just putting me under pressure and requiring me to spam attacks with whatever I have equipped until me or the enemy dies.

I'd say that not everyone hates turn based RPGs. Just look at how popular the Pokemon games are. And Final Fantasy.

My favorite video game genre is turn based role playing games. I don't care if it's a WRPG or a JRPG I just love RPG's that are turn based in general. I'm playing Dragon Quest 1 for the NES right now and its really fun.

But it appears that 99.99% of the human population seems to hate turn based combat in RPG'S, everyone seems to call it bad game design that is outdated. That video where super popular game reviewer Videogamedunkey made a video where part of it has him say turn based RPG's are "The polar opposite of fun." or something to that effect which in my mind just greatly vocalizes the general dislike of this genre a lot of people have.

What I find interesting is that people constantly criticize these games for being repetitive. People with ASD generally tend to like repetition and routine, so is it possible that the only reason I love this genre so much is because I'm autistic? What do you guys think?

I like turn based games (final fantasy is my favorite although they arent turn based anymore) but im also autistic so you may be on to something. I don't know if this happens with you but i tend to play the same game for weeks on end until i get stuck on something else.

Dragon Quest was my favorite game when I was younger along with the Final Fantasy series. I also used to create my own RPG games on paper which was very repetitive but I enjoyed it. I liked the leveling up aspect where I could improve over time probably because I wanted to make progress in my own life but felt I couldn't.

I struggled with other video games because I wasn't very coordinated which made them not fun to play since I was never able to win. Since turn based games don't require any coordination, it was easier to succeed in beating the game. Also, I was very lonely and didn't have any friends.

When I played Final Fantasy, I imagined myself as the main character traveling around the world with a bunch of friends (the other characters in the group) which helped me feel less alone. I've noticed RPGs tend to appeal to people who are introverted while FPS appeal to more extroverted people who have a bunch of friends.

Final Fantasy, Harvest Moon, Zelda, Mario, Dragon Quest, yup, my daughter played all those. I love to repeat racing games over and over. I love the repetition. Racing games got me through my divorce. My daughter had a really cool snowboarding with excellent sound track with PlayStation or another gaming system. That was so much fun

AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd or James Rolfe, whichever) did reviews for classic games, sometimes going to town on the criticism. I'm sure much of his content when he's in character is supposed to be comedic, but one person's opinion shouldn't and doesn't speak for everyone. Never watched much of Videogamedunkey, but if he's exaggerating for the views I'll stick to that point.

Isn't repetition part and parcel of gaming? Unless I'm missing something, but to date I haven't played a game that wasn't repetitive in some way. I don't think your ASD has anything to do with it at all when these games and more appeal to a wide audience.

One of my favorite battle systems was from Final Fantasy VII. It's one thing to have time stop completely when you're thinking about your turn, but having turns happen on their own around the clock really puts you on your toes, and I've always loved that about the Final Fantasy games, especially the "PSX era" games.

I had used RPG maker to make my own Battle System called "SwapGo". Instead of everyone standing next to each other in side view, everyone lined up single file and took their actions as they went in front, one by one. I didn't like it :/

I love RPG games. The only thing bad I have to say is that it can be hard to find a game I like because so many of them take place in Fantasy settings. I love Fallout and I wish there were more alternate history RPGs like it.

In a nutshell my favourite game genres are: RPGs, Sandbox, Simulation, and Strategy.

I love the classic Fallout games (1 and 2), which have turn based combat. I think turn based combat is great because it actually lets me think and consider what I'm going to attack with, instead of just putting me under pressure and requiring me to spam attacks with whatever I have equipped until me or the enemy dies.

I'd say that not everyone hates turn based RPGs. Just look at how popular the Pokemon games are. And Final Fantasy.
I love all Fallout games.

New Threads

Top Bottom