• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it okay to identify as autistic?

Hello there,
I'm a twenty-four year old woman who's wondering whether with my kinds of experiences, I may identify as having highly functional autism. To be more specific, I'd like to know if I'm overstepping my boundaries by doing so (kind of like cultural appropriation, except with autism). I'm asking because people rarely see me as "different" anymore, I'm quite well-adapted and usually know my way around social situations, and I don't suffer from being who I am. Even the online tests say I'm not likely to be autistic. However, I really do feel that I am, at least to some extent.
For example, my parents tell me that as a child, I did not speak for the longest time. They actually don't remember my first word because of that. I also played alone and with a set of maybe four or five common household items for hours on end, daydreaming about imaginary worlds. I still do that for at least a few hours every day, but since I'm doing it while riding the tram, taking a walk and so on, nobody notices unless I tell them.
As a child, I also had huge trouble finding friends; and people actually told me to my face that they thought of me as rude (which I think was pretty rude of them). My parents felt embarrassed for me sometimes because I didn't get a certain social interaction and reacted weirdly and my entire life I was told that I'm simply "not good with people". Which is patently untrue by now (and maybe, I wouldn't have been so "bad" at it if people hadn't constantly told me, making me doubt my abilities). Though I gotta say that my parents never made me feel inadequate or different in any way, they gave me amazing support.
Well. However that may be, nowadays I do have plenty of good friends, I study a subject related to my passion (environmentalism), I usually understand facial expressions, hidden meanings and so on and so forth. I'm still considered extremely honest (even for a German, lol, and we're thought of as super-direct) and my enthusiasm for the protection of the environment goes far and beyond even what my fellow students feel, so I'm still all-or-nothing. I also change my opinion in an instant if someone gives me a logical reason to. I'm being told that's not usual.
So I guess what all this comes down to is: Do you think I might be autistic and just learned to compensate (meaning it'd be okay to call myself autistic, which would be kind of important to me) or was I never autistic to begin with and shouldn't go around telling people so since they might get a false impression of autism?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi @flammfederfiligranfarn

welcome to the Forums and congratulations on the longest screen name i have seen in a while. I'd love to know how its made up.

I suggest that you read some of the posts on here where people are trying to know if they might be autistic or not. Its a good place to start. Also, search for my partner might be autistic and see what oyu find. There is a good search engine - give it a try.

BTW - dont believe any rumours of coffee and donuts (its just a rumour).
Enjoy your time here

Hello & welcome.
Do you think I might be autistic and just learned to compensate (meaning it'd be okay to call myself autistic, which would be kind of important to me) or was I never autistic to begin with and shouldn't go around telling people so since they might get a false impression of autism?
It is okay to consider that possibility. (I don't think that anyone here will fault you for doing so.) Women wear it differently.

An official diagnosis from an autism-competent provider* would be the best confirmation.
Second best would be to read about the subject and see how many "boxes" you can tick off.

*If you are in the USA, see Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...

Welcome. This forum is friendly to professionally diagnosed autistic people as well as those that are self-diagnosed (in addition to welcoming neurotypical people). Unless a person is professionally diagnosed as a child at the direction of a parent, I would say that nearly all adults start with a self-diagnosis. It's part of the journey for most all of us. Many choose to stop short of seeking a professional diagnosis, and that's perfectly ok.

One caveat: I believe it's important for people who are self-diagnosed to identify as self-diagnosed rather than identify definitively as autistic. In my opinion, there is an important difference between the two.

To put it another way, it's my personal opinion that identifying as autistic (definitive) rather than self-diagnosed autistic is not appropropriate for someone who hasn't been professionally diagnosed.

f7e4b5a1a8be52ddbbf774885d0c7553.png

I would first relax about it. It is not a quick determination to make (whether you are or aren't), even for experts in the field. Many of us here are self diagnosed, some like yourself are just trying to figure it out. One thing is for sure: there is a lot of variation in how it works out for each individual. For me interfacing with people on the spectrum was a very useful part of making the determination.

Hi @flammfederfiligranfarn

welcome to the Forums and congratulations on the longest screen name i have seen in a while. I'd love to know how its made up.

I suggest that you read some of the posts on here where people are trying to know if they might be autistic or not. Its a good place to start. Also, search for my partner might be autistic and see what oyu find. There is a good search engine - give it a try.

It's actually the name of a fern. Translated word by word, it means "flame feather delicate fern". I saw it in a botanical garden and instantly fell in love with the name. Also thanks for the advice, I'll do some research.

One caveat: I believe it's important for people who are self-diagnosed to identify as self-diagnosed rather than identify definitively as autistic. In my opinion, there is an important difference between the two.

To put it another way, it's my personal opinion that identifying as autistic (definitive) rather than self-diagnosed autistic is not appropropriate for someone who hasn't been professionally diagnosed.

Thanks a lot. I will definitely keep this in mind!

All of the autism traits exist on a spectrum. That is, they exist in degrees ranging from non-existent to mild to severe to debilitating.

The doctors have carved out one area and stated that someone must have a certain number of these traits to a certain degree in order to be formally diagnosed as autistic.

As a result, there are a lot of people who have autism-like traits (I call them "spectrumy"), but aren't formally diagnosable. These people can relate to a lot of the trials and difficulties of autism and may identify as autistic. I have no problem with that.

If you feel like you relate, if you can benefit from the same coping strategies we use, or if you can teach us some of your own strategies, then welcome.

If a formal diagnosis comes later, that's fine. If you never get one, that's fine. What matters is what works for you.

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

You should identify as self diagnosed Autistic. Once you get a professional diagnosis, you may start identifying as Autistic.

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

You should identify as self diagnosed Autistic. Once you get a professional diagnosis, you may start identifying as Autistic.

I'm assuming your believe your statement to be from a position of personal opinion as mine is. The way you wrote it makes it sound like an edict.

Last edited:
Hello there,
I'm a twenty-four year old woman who's wondering whether with my kinds of experiences, I may identify as having highly functional autism. To be more specific, I'd like to know if I'm overstepping my boundaries by doing so (kind of like cultural appropriation, except with autism). I'm asking because people rarely see me as "different" anymore, I'm quite well-adapted and usually know my way around social situations, and I don't suffer from being who I am. Even the online tests say I'm not likely to be autistic. However, I really do feel that I am, at least to some extent.
For example, my parents tell me that as a child, I did not speak for the longest time. They actually don't remember my first word because of that. I also played alone and with a set of maybe four or five common household items for hours on end, daydreaming about imaginary worlds. I still do that for at least a few hours every day, but since I'm doing it while riding the tram, taking a walk and so on, nobody notices unless I tell them.
As a child, I also had huge trouble finding friends; and people actually told me to my face that they thought of me as rude (which I think was pretty rude of them). My parents felt embarrassed for me sometimes because I didn't get a certain social interaction and reacted weirdly and my entire life I was told that I'm simply "not good with people". Which is patently untrue by now (and maybe, I wouldn't have been so "bad" at it if people hadn't constantly told me, making me doubt my abilities). Though I gotta say that my parents never made me feel inadequate or different in any way, they gave me amazing support.
Well. However that may be, nowadays I do have plenty of good friends, I study a subject related to my passion (environmentalism), I usually understand facial expressions, hidden meanings and so on and so forth. I'm still considered extremely honest (even for a German, lol, and we're thought of as super-direct) and my enthusiasm for the protection of the environment goes far and beyond even what my fellow students feel, so I'm still all-or-nothing. I also change my opinion in an instant if someone gives me a logical reason to. I'm being told that's not usual.
So I guess what all this comes down to is: Do you think I might be autistic and just learned to compensate (meaning it'd be okay to call myself autistic, which would be kind of important to me) or was I never autistic to begin with and shouldn't go around telling people so since they might get a false impression of autism?
Thanks a lot in advance!
you don't know if your autistic? You need to seek professional help and see if they can tell you if you're autistic or not.

As a result, there are a lot of people who have autism-like traits (I call them "spectrumy"), but aren't formally diagnosable. These people can relate to a lot of the trials and difficulties of autism and may identify as autistic. I have no problem with that.

If you feel like you relate, if you can benefit from the same coping strategies we use, or if you can teach us some of your own strategies, then welcome.

That is pretty much how I feel. And as a matter of fact, I already share some of my strategies with a very kind friend of mine who was diagnosed and who struggles with some of the same issues I did in the past. I feel like having people around who can relate and offer support is so important, not just for austistic people but for everybody.

you don't know if your autistic? You need to seek professional help and see if they can tell you if you're autistic or not.

Thanks, I don't feel like I need help, though. Like I mentioned, I'm quite happy with myself. I'd just like to share this aspect of my personality with others more, especially in situations where misunderstandings occur. For example when I can't stand certain noises and my roommates don't get my frustration.

I'm assuming your believe your statement to be from a position of personal opinion as mine is. The way you wrote it makes it sound like an edict.
It is. I find it a bit rude to try to definitely ID as Autistic without having an official diagnosis.

Thanks, I don't feel like I need help, though. Like I mentioned, I'm quite happy with myself. I'd just like to share this aspect of my personality with others more, especially in situations where misunderstandings occur. For example when I can't stand certain noises and my roommates don't get my frustration.
but it's very importamt not to say that you are autistic if you don't have a diagnosis, in my opinion.

New Threads

Top Bottom