1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured is it OK to quote Hitler on your FB?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Aspergers_Aspie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. AMANDA DESIREE WILSON

AMANDA DESIREE WILSON Member

Hitler was a brilliant man. Very disturbed though. He was able to rise from no where to become one of the most powerful people in the world. There will always be some that will complain because of what you write, but it doesn't matter really. Many of Hitler's ideas are being used today by politicians.

If Hitler had not been so aggressive when it came to war, we wouldn't have nuclear energy or nuclear medicine because it was through German scientists that the bomb was first envisioned. We would not have the planes we have now.

Even the most evil of people do contribute in a positive way to societies.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

In the Quotes area I linked in Post #4, there is an entire
    area devoted to quotations of Adolf Hitler.

3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Gotta love Hitler's atrocious writing style..... :rolleyes:

Made his "Mein Kampf" one of the most difficult books to read, IMO. Quoted in this forum some time back...:oops:

4. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

the dangt an sich..

Is his most repetitive phrase used, if I remember.

'The thing in itself

5. Judge

And neither his publisher or his private secretary dared to alter any of it. :eek:

6. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

@Judge

"Gotta love Hitler's atrocious writing style.
    .... :rolleyes: "

He was an energetic speaker.
    Maybe his stuff sounds better (more impressive) in German.
    Not that it would be more rational.....

7. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

Lol :) very wise.

8. Judge

LOL. There's a story in that itself.

Hitler and his government successfully sued Alan Cranston for violating their copyright and publishing a "dime edition" of Mein Kampf in English. The Nazis didn't like that at all.

After all, "Mein Kampf" wasn't meant for a non-Aryan audience. :p

Cranston later went on to become a US Senator representing California. Clearly voters didn't hold Cranston's copyright violation against him personally. ;)

9. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

Although there was undoubtedly an element of that in some minds, the reasons for dropping the designation in the DSM had nothing to do with him or doubts about his past. Arguably modern understanding of autism (and even it's name) owes far more to Asperger and his Russian predecessor Grunya Sukhareva than Kanner.

If you look at a situation where that definitely DID occur, like in the case of Reiter's Syndrome's eventual renaming as Reactive Arthritis, the campaign to achieve that was long, concerted and met with resistance. Hans Reiter, in contrast to Asperger, was a cut & dried ruthless man who was readily verifiable as a perpetrator of atrocities, a willing follower of the eventual chancellor and was a party member from 1932.

10. Judge

Yes- officially, at least. I was more or less being facetious. Though I can't help but wonder if the issue was debated in part...on a more confidential level. Frankly I would have loved to be "a fly on the wall" relevant to a great deal that was discussed regarding the DSM-V.

Hans Reiter? Didn't he publish a work on racial hygiene? Which pretty much tells you what his perspectives would entail regarding medicine and policy. Guys like that probably would get along great with Dr. Rascher and Dr. Mengele. :eek:

I'd mention Theodor Morrell, but I'm not sure if he truly rises to the title of being a real doctor. Though perhaps he was the original "Dr. FeelGood". He would have felt right at home taking care of Elvis Presley. :rolleyes:

11. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

I was diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome in my late 20s before the name was formally changed. I get it recurrently on top of the ankylosing spondylitis which limits my mobility.
    I seem to have a record of diagnoses associated with medics from that regime.
    Sadly a great deal of medicine owes it's progress to the inhuman experiments carried out at that time. Modern neurosurgery would not be possible if it weren't for the anatomical drawings facilitated by Edouard Pernkopf which were obtained through horrific means. Ironically the campaigning to end their publication & circulation has led to the remaining copies fetching astronomical prices and being prized possessions of the neurosurgeons who still have access to them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

Quote Dostovesky instead.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Judge

Sad, but true. War has always served as a technological innovator for both noble and less-than-noble pursuits.

On occasion I've even joked that I might not exist had they not dropped the atomic bomb. But then that's not really a joke either.

As a newly graduated ensign from the USNA, my father was slated for the first wave of commanding a somewhat larger landing craft in "Operation Olympic", the invasion of Japan. Where many historians think that most of the first wave would have probably been slaughtered. Not at all like "D-Day" in Normandy.

14. Major Tom

Major Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Anything goes on FB. Whether or not it's correct or incorrect, you can say whatever you want and some people will buy it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Strong Sad

Strong Sad Active Member

Hitler was neither brilliant, nor evil, nor did he make any sort of positive contribution to anything. He was a man, and he contributed to unleashing horror on a terrible scale. That’s all we should give him credit for. To think of him otherwise is to dabble in revisionist history, and it is extremely dangerous.

16. Strong Sad

Strong Sad Active Member

Facebook doesn’t really seem like the best place to sort through nazism, war, and the Holocaust. I can’t really think of any other reasonable explanation for making reference to Hitler other than to engage with his role/and or legacy in relation to exterminationist conflict. FB doesn’t seem to me to be an appropriate platform for sorting through such things. I’d stick to vacation pics, cat memes, and maybe occasionally sharing a piece about global warming or how Trump is an asshat.

17. Judge

I suppose that depends on what Facebook's true motivation is for bringing people together. Smiling, happy people holding hands, or people trying to rip each other apart for their own aggrandizement?

I suspect in reality that they don't really care. No differently than broadcast news that projects political bias.

That they'll pander to anything that draws people and advertising, no matter how positive or how negative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

I can see how someone could claim that, without Hitler, many people like Oskar Schindler, Rudolph Weigl, Ellie Weisel and so many other wouldn’t have done their great works.

I would argue that, without Hitler, good people would still have done good works, but their works would have improved society even more, instead of just trying to counteract one man’s evil.

All the technological ideas that came from the war would still have come, though probably a little later without the military pushing for it to win a war.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Strong Sad

Strong Sad Active Member

I think the OP was trying to understand the social implications of posting about Hitler on FB (I could be wrong). Sure FB would be cool with Hitler posts, but in all likelihood the medium is wrong for the message. A better place to explore nazism would be the seminar room, a conference, professional publications, etc... I know that when I see references to Hitler in my FB feed (rarely, thankfully), they are never handled with the appropriate sensibility, and I think “yikes! Why? Why is this HERE?”

20. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

"Vaccination" is not an acceptable topic here. It doesn't matter which side you are on. (I do not believe that vaccines cause autism, but a greater discourse on the matter is not allowed here.)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019