1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it just me.

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Nemesis_2k7, Jan 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Nemesis2k7

Is it just me, or, is facebook, and all of those social media platforms, nothing but ignorant, toxic, narcissistic, control freak BS, that is simply not worth it on any level?

All i see is people and 100000 selfies, and saying how great their lives are, and saying ignorant rubbish, and getting "likes" for it, and also being rude, obnoxious, and talking down to anyone who does not agree with what they say. I for one, am done with anything resembling facebook, twitter, reddit, all of those trashy sites. I noticed also, you have to show your whole face, licence, personal information to facebook, before they "allow" you into their site. they are privacy thieving pieces of trash. And they claim they support security? HAHAHAHA. good joke. I often wonder how Mark Suckerberg has managed to BS his way out of every court case. he needs to be jailed. Anyone else feel the way i do? I mean, literally HATE social media?

I miss the good ol myspace, and MSN messenger. Where you could talk to people, and not put up with this rubbish we have today.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. crewlucaa_

crewlucaa_ blissful soul, wild heart V.I.P Member

Yes, I hate social media. I am no longer on any of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Nemesis2k7

Same here. I have even now made a HOSTS file and blocked all their URL's. so their sites wont even load. I am disgusted in what so called "social" media has become. Its all dictatorship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. phantom

phantom Well-Known Member

Social media just doesn't really interest me. Don't forget that the job of Social media developers is to is to exploit psychology, not to provide anyone a product. But then again in the 21st century exploiting psychology and packaging it up as a product is considered valuable or even art, and people are addicted to it like drugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I make limited use of social media, but don't do the constant scrolling that people do

Something I went through back in the fall taught me to not care much about how many likes I do or don't get

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adora

Adora Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I am not on Facebook and have no interest in it. The only social media i am on is here, My husband uses Facebook but it’s mostly for buying stuff that people may be selling on the platform.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suzette

Suzette Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have an account. I don't recall when I posted last. Maybe 6 years ago. Don't care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Most people consider forums to be a variety of social media. (hides under table)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Metalhead

Metalhead Video game and movie addict. V.I.P Member

Facebook is only good for bad pun memes. As a source of info, it is worse than useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Nemesis2k7

good for most people. but they are incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I miss MSN Messenger, too.

I made a Facebook account many years ago, but, I haven't used it in years either.
    Now I just don't agree to any friend wanna be's and unfriended a lot of them I don't really know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Flown

Flown Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I agree with a lot of this. I have a sanctuary account (this means I have only trusted family/friends that have access to me). I still take breaks because social media exhausts me (I don't have a twitter, and I am not active on Instagram or other platforms). I hate Facebook as a corporation in general though. I hate that it is collecting my data (my data is probably pretty boring though lol).

I stay for two reasons:
    1) Plant, fungi, slime mold, insect identification groups. There is a wealth of information (and a lot of expertise) if you know where to look. I've learned a lot and shared a lot with fellow nature nerds on this platform.
    2) I run a small, private support group (for nature lovers who have chronic mental/physical health issues).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Nemesis2k7

and same to you

14. Flown

Flown Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

@Forest Cat If you have any interest in joining (or think it would benefit you), feel free to DM/private message me here :)

15. iamlindsaythatisall

iamlindsaythatisall Tomorrow's just your future yesterday V.I.P Member

I despise places like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, and even YouTube (I still use YouTube, unfortunately, out of comfort...). I deleted my Facebook in 2016 and never went back. I will never create new accounts on any of those platforms. It toxic. The worst part is.... EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TOXIC IT IS! And yet they still keep going on these places. Boggles the mind.

AND, say you're Googling something, and someone did post an answer/perspective on Reddit. They won't let you see it unless you have an account a lot of the times >:| exceedingly frustrating. Why am I not allowed to lurk, anymore?! I don't WANT to join the conversation. Just gimme my info so I can leave!

These places can be used for great things, but they rarely are used in such a way :/

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

You forgot to mention the ads. It's also chock-full of ads.

17. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

In my opinion, social media has exposed the internet's most powerful use. It's not communication or commerce - it's misinformation. Anyone can find a microcosm of like-minded people who share their exact viewpoint and step into an echo chamber where they never hear anything except what they want to hear. They can get a continual feed of fact-free content where they are always right and those who disagree are told to go die to death. There is no longer any rational discourse or listening to other viewpoints. I think that social media is 100% responsible for the fractured, contentious political landscape of the U.S.A. right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. maycontainthunder

maycontainthunder May also contain missing cookies.

I dislike social media... it's like a giant forum with no actual moderators. There is nothing there apart from overblown egos and vain people flaunting their wealth.

19. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

What's Facebook?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. maycontainthunder

maycontainthunder May also contain missing cookies.

I think it's a bit like a face palm but with a book.

• Funny Funny x 2