1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fitzo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Fitzo

Fitzo Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

In this age of communication via text, emojis are very useful...... unless of course you can't decipher what they mean???
    Beyond the really obvious ones I have no idea what they're trying to convey unless there is a written explanation.
    Am I alone here?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog Well-Known Member

I for one couldn't tell you what most of them mean. And the media keeps talking like that is going to become a regular way of communicating some day and that it already is in some ways. I can hardly imagine that. If I had to converse with some one I shared no language in common with, maybe I could slowly pick through emojis and hope to get a simple idea across and try to understand their simple response. Sounds like a long shot though. And unless the question was something simple like "how to get to the bus/washroom/subway..." something like that. I can't really think what else would get across in messages.

3. Gracey

Gracey Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

No, definitely not alone.
    I try to avoid having to make a decision about which emoji to use by not using any. There are probably five I'm confident with.
    No, make that four and a half.
    One of them is a poo.
    I know what a poo is, but why is it staring?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Katleya

Katleya Sarcasm Lover V.I.P Member

I'm in my early 30s and I couldn't figure out most of them for the life of me. I've seen one growing stronger over the last 6 months (maybe longer & I didn't notice), it's an upside down smiley face. Why??? Is the smile cancelled because it's upside down, so it's a frown, but there's already a frown emoji? Is it something else? If so, what is it? If you want to send me into an existential crisis, send me that one. Or one of the stupid ballerinas in a conversation NOT about dancing.
    (I wish I could have been funny like Gracey on that topic, but the upside down smiley face got the best of me, again)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

Emoji-thymic

;)

Note the wink above. Gracey noticed that the wrong eye is closed.
    (Best observation of the week)

Nobody noticed that the wink is from the wrong side.
    An Asperger wink.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

Is the poo, like some people, unhappy that it's been let out into the world to fend for itself?

7. Fitzo

Maybe you weren't trying to he funny but you made me laugh! I tried to find an emoji that looked like it was laughing but failed again!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fitzo

Streetwise helpfully informed me that there is a legend of all the emojis on this site in the help section.
    I was finding it all very helpful until I came to the one that said ' no mouth'! WTF does that mean???

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Katleya

Katleya Sarcasm Lover V.I.P Member

Maybe it means that it can't smile upside down?
    (Aspie obsession at its finest)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. megacomic

megacomic Just that awkward guy.

I don't text very many people but luckily the ones I do are my age or older so I don't see a lot of emoji's. For that I am thankful.

11. The Midge

The Midge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Because someone can't draw for ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The Midge

On this forum you can tell what they are by hovering your mouse over them.

Here is one to give it a try: :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Midge

I wink with the left eye as I have lazy eye syndrome and only really see with the right. Have I been winking wrong all my life and didn't know it? :eek: (eek = shock for a shock discovery)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I enjoy using emotijo, but find them a tad overwhelming, due to the volume of them and so, end up actually not using them much, unless I think that my text message could be construed different.

Google is great for finding information. The upside smile apparently is about being goofy or sarcastic. The poop instead of using the explicit word in a text. So, if you drop something etc, many come out with: oh s*i* and so, that poop replaces it. APPARENTLY.

In this day of laziness or could not be bothered, because technology is so fast, it is amazing how unlazy one needs to be to get to know technology lol

15. Fitzo

Don't think it works if you are using a tablet.
    Or am I showing my age again?

16. The Midge

I haven't got a tablet. My one got destroyed when my daughter had a meltdown.

17. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

I always wink with my left eye also.
    Never thought it had a meaning or was different.

Geez, I read this whole thread and only recognised what the Poo thing is after reading @Suzanne post. Finally got it. It seems to be very popular currently not only in emoji, but, on T-shirts, stickers, and throw pillows made like one.
    Maybe Mr. Hanky is just now really catching on?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fitzo

I just read a post that left me feeling speechless. Maybe that's what this :nomouth: means?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Idahocalypse

Idahocalypse Ravenpaw

Having grown up with anime - which has many facial expressions similar to emojis even across unrelated shows - I can safely say that I enjoy emojis and make frequent use of them. However I am unsure if anyone has ever misinterpreted my emojis, as no one has brought it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fitzo

I don't wink very often but I didn't know there was a protocol about any particular eye. :eek: ditto