• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Autism Real?

GCat3000

I believe Autism is simply a Medical Term for the Altruism trait. In most cases when one looks at historical cases of Autism like Thomas Jefferson and Einstein they are incredibly concerned with other peoples rights. I believe that Capitalism is trying to medicalize traits which were seen as a good in Christian Society due to such traits don't make money!

How, then, would you account for the other symptoms? The sensory overload, the problems with socializing, not being able to meet others' eyes, the stereotypic behaviors, and in some cases, being non-verbal or having issues with speech?

There are very few true,altruistic acts in nature and probably not so many in human society as we think.

Autism is a collection of traits in varying degrees. I am autistic and my presentation as a young child was markedly different than how my classmates presented.

Although I dislike medicalization for some reasons, I am no conspiracy theorist and in fact not a Christian.

I may disagree with you intensely. I do support your right to have your opinions and to express yourself as you wish.

Actually altruism makes fortunes for the rich. It allows them to get tax relief and the kudos from making large donations to charities and funding "foundations" and scholarships does more for their coffers than the equivalent advertising spend.
Additionally genuine altruists, the volunteers who give their time and the citizens who donate their wages are often doing work that should be done by the State allowing governments to reduce the taxes of the rich because they have offloaded the responsibilities on to charities.
No I disagree with your opinion. Autism is real and not a conspiracy or a fantasy. Neither is altruism the enemy of capitalism, it is it's facilitator.
If governments did the things that altruists do via charities - cancer research, feeding and sheltering the homeless, helping addicts recover, farming programmes in 3rd world countries, outreach to autistic people and a million other activities, the tax burden on the rich would be much higher.
One of our most prominent (and loathesome) capitalist, right wing politicians in the UK even described charity run food banks as "rather uplifting"
Rees-Mogg: Food banks 'rather uplifting'

I don't think Autism is a made up condition. Although some autistic people may be altruistic, that is not (as far as I know) a trait of Autism. Social difficulties, repetitive behaviors, and sensory issues can all be components of Autism. Altruism? That alone would not guarantee you a diagnosis.

Actually altruism makes fortunes for the rich. It allows them to get tax relief and the kudos from making large donations to charities and funding "foundations" and scholarships does more for their coffers than the equivalent advertising spend.
Additionally genuine altruists, the volunteers who give their time and the citizens who donate their wages are often doing work that should be done by the State allowing governments to reduce the taxes of the rich because they have offloaded the responsibilities on to charities.
No I disagree with your opinion. Autism is real and not a conspiracy or a fantasy. Neither is altruism the enemy of capitalism, it is it's facilitator.
If governments did the things that altruists do via charities - cancer research, feeding and sheltering the homeless, helping addicts recover, farming programmes in 3rd world countries, outreach to autistic people and a million other activities, the tax burden on the rich would be much higher.
One of our most prominent (and loathesome) capitalist, right wing politicians in the UK even described charity run food banks as "rather uplifting"
Rees-Mogg: Food banks 'rather uplifting'

I see it ,sort of, as a perverse outcome of individuality.

If taxes were raised there are benefits to everybody. It's an efficient way to get consistent services to benefit everybody.

Individuals as a whole don't see it like that. (they are helped in that view by a strong media)

ie if they give individually they get 'feel good points' to feed ego.

Hence why charity adverts are done the way they are. They have to appeal to people in that way - otherwise it doesn't work.

Another reason why the conservative method of cutting back services doesn't work - (ie sure start etc)
people aren't capable of organising themselves to the degree that's needed.

This is why social structure needs to be provided.

There are all sorts of cognitive biases involved as well.

Like the rich thinking they did it all themselves,for one.

Without infrastructure provided? ie roads - Rules of ownership?

A lot stems from a reactive government which also has a perverse incentive. MPs also take advantage of the tax laws...

People will think what they need to think to justify their own actions.
They then consolidate in groups to convince each other that they possess 'truth'

hey ho

I believe Autism is simply a Medical Term for the Altruism trait. In most cases when one looks at historical cases of Autism like Thomas Jefferson and Einstein they are incredibly concerned with other peoples rights. I believe that Capitalism is trying to medicalize traits which were seen as a good in Christian Society due to such traits don't make money!

No, we do not know for certain that either Jefferson or Einstein had autism. They were never diagnosed. I seriously doubt that someone who dabbled in politics (Jefferson) could ever have been anything other than strongly 'neurotypical', due to the requirements involved in being successful in that field. Besides, aren't you generalising when you claim that those who have autism are also altruistic? Why the equivalence? We're not angels you know.

New Threads

Top Bottom