• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Aspergers really text-book or are extreme variants possible

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Seriously, are we really that easy to dx? It seems that there many nuances due to environmenal, upbringing, maturity or lack of, misdiagnosis, specific life experiences, age, education, yadda, yadda, yadda. What do you feel?

Variants are possible; much like our Fingerprints and DNA, every person with Autism is completely different and will show different symptoms.

Just trying to understand and observe all the different personalities of this community relative to their traits and behaviors reflects that we constitute a rather broad spectrum of autistic people.

Many variants, and many variables to consider.

How does what I feel have anything to do with it?
This question would make more sense to me if it were
what did I think about the possibility of there being a range.

Great response, it's like a giant gift bag, you really never know what you will get. l wonder if stress brought out more symptoms for me, what do you feel?

What does how I feel have anything to do with it?
This question would make more sense to me if it were
what did I think about the possibility of there being a range.
Excellent, how big is the range?

Just like no two people are the exactly same, no two people on the spectrum are exactly the same, and no two Aspies are exactly the same. There are extreme examples on every type of spectrum outside of Autism (hence the word spectrum), so it stands to reason the same stands for the Autism spectrum and within the "boundaries" of Aspergers, ASD1, HFA etc.

Maybe there are more of us then we know.........

Indeed. I think you'll find that while some of us may cite the CDC's claim that every one in sixty-eight persons is on the spectrum of autism, that we suspect that number is somewhat low. It wouldn't surprise me if in another ten years this ratio is revised upwards. ;)

Seriously, are we really that easy to dx?
No, we are not easy to diagnose. Doctors often misdiagnose, or not spot well-masked traits. Only a well-trained, experienced clinician can diagnose us, often multiple tests are needed, many sessions or hours of observation, sometimes a team is used for the diagnosis, and in the end, the diagnosis is based on subjective opinions. We are all different, there is no one size fits all.

Last edited:
The "official" criteria are so vague that you (and so-called professionals) are free to interpret any characteristic any way you want.

New Threads

Top Bottom