• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is anyone good at designing basic combat systems for RPG style games?

Sid Delicious

Balloon animal safety control
I'm working on a hobby game with a few other developers and artists. We've got most of it covered, but our combat system lacks much detail (other than character A whacks character B and causes n damage, then character B whacks character A and causes n damage). Our original system was far too complicated and ended up getting binned and we're essentially starting over.

We've got a few character types and a list of unlockable combat abilities based on their gameplay style. However, the stats system is what we're stuck on. The ones we've found online so far look really complicated with far more stats than we need.

If anyone plays DnD or any similar rpgs and could translate that sort of thing to an online rpg? We can do the actual programming, it's just the design bit we're stuck on.

I could try to help, maybe. I actually do have some game-dev experience (a fully released game, and some number of expansions for that and a different game, I cant remember the number suddenly) and far too much testing experience.

My main experience lies in the realm of roguelikes, where stats are everything. And indeed too many of those games do in fact get unnecessarily complicated, so toning things down is often a good idea (an idea which a few too many devs ignore, which always frustrates me to no end).

The real question, I think, is what specific breed of combat you're after. There are many, MANY ways to approach any given concept. Ironing one down is part of the process, regardless of the exact genre specification.

There's a lot of things that would need to be known and considered here.

Hi, yeah any help would be really appreciated. I have no prior experience with this stuff, so I'm a bit of a loss!

If it's ok, I'll PM you rather than clog up the forum with my ramblings.

New Threads

Top Bottom