• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Irritated by these sounds?

The Phantom

Before I realized I'm probably on the spectrum I have always been extremely irritated by these things. Could someone please tell me if these are possibly autistic/spectrum traits or at least make sense according to Aspergers?

- Counting out loud. When I was younger people would start counting down for me to hurry up, and it got me mad beyond belief. I would yell and clench. I remember when I was playing a game with some friends (well, one friend and her other friends) in the pool, they started to count as part of the game. When it was my turn, I asked them "Could you please not do that? It makes me kinda mad." and then they continued to do it, but this time laughing with more intent to p!ss me off. That just caused a rampage lol.

-Snapping (when signifying ot hurry up or do something, not jazz snapping or humorous stuff because I love that lol.)
When I'm hurrying to do something someone told me to do (like rush to the bus, or find something quickly) and someone (usually my dad) starts snapping it makes me really upset and annoyed. It's usually in groups of two snaps, which indicate to hurry up, which makes me really mad.

-Other people laughing when I'm not happy. Ok, this seems less spectrum-y, I know, but i think tis't he reaction or internal thought which I think it worth mentioning.
An example. My mom told me that I had something in my nose, and I was already angry (and I'm very self-conscious about how I look), and she starting laughing, but like she thought it was the funniest thing in the world, like her face became redder and she got tears. I got really upset, I wanted to scream and also cry at the same time.
Also, I have a maid, and when she's being stubborn and not doing something for the hell of not doing something, or being lazy, I sometimes yell at her (I know, I'm working on it) and she just laughs liek it's hilarious, which makes me really upset, like she doesn't take me seriously.

- repeating phrases without giving me enough 'time', just not leaving me alone. Let me explain. A common scenario is when I wake up in the morning for school. I usually wake up by myself, but since my parents are out of town my maid has been waking me up (even when I oppose) She calls my name for me to wake up (when it's too early) and I tell her ok, 2 minutes, and then 30 seconds she'll say it again, even when I tell her to shut up (of course I don't say that, I say something nicer obviously lol). Also, when she wakes me up too late, I ask her to wake me up earlier (I can't win) and then she says "wake up earlier", even when it's her job and she wakes me up too early, and I get mad haha. But anyway. She'll tell me I'm going to miss the bus (earlier than my usual time of heading down), even when I inform her numerous times that I have never missed the bus this year and I know when to go down, and she'll say it more than once and it irritates me to no end. Same when I'm putting on my shoes and she says "Faster" several times, even when my speed hasn't failed me before and I wouldn't have missed the bus anyway. I tell her SO many times to stop saying those things, but she so stubborn she'll never listen.
Another example, is when my mom kicks me off the computer (lol) and yells at me to do something related to school or just on my to-do list, she'll first say she told me to do it before (even when she hasn't, so many things if I do something wrong she'll say she told me, even if she didn't). She'll say "did you do this? and I'll be like "no, I'll do that now" and then she'll say another thing I didn't do when I'm trying to do the other thing, and it just continues in a vicious cycle, and she'll just continue to yell about anew thing. At some points I can't take it and I'll scream back and say that she's telling me too much at a time, but then she'll say "What is it that's so much to do, huh? Tell me." really calmly but angrily and I am clenching just thinking about it.
Also, small talk. I am frien swith this EXTREMELY chatty girl (don't get me wrong, I'm chatty too on selective subjects), who sits next to me on the bus (I do it to be ncie, also I look like a loser by myself) and I'll just lean against the window and relax after a long day a school (I'm chattier on the morning ride to school, but not by a lot), but then she'll ask me something like "How was your day?", and I'll be like "Good" and gesture to the fact I clearly do not want to be bothered (in the nicest way possibly lol) and sthen she'll say something like "Would you rather have a fountain of chocolate, or a candy bar that grows each time you take a bite?" I'll think she question is annoying, answer it, state why I'd rather have the fountain (ever-growing candy bars would tempt me to finish it and suck me into a cycle of never-ending weight gain) but then she'll try and ask why, and tlak about how a candy bar would be awesome, and I'll say "Please, this is kinda overwhelming me, I'm really tired) but she won't stop. She'll say that she would love to time travel and fix up all the wrong doings in the world, and I'd politely try to convince her that changing events of the past is not a good idea, simply because it would mess up the flow of things, and how she or her loved ones might now even exits, but then she'd say she wouldn't care and just continue to exists through time-travel and right the events of the past, and at this poitn I" done being politley and would point out the absurdity of her not caring about her loved ones not existing, and how she wouldn't still exists through time travel, because haven't you seen the latest Shrek movie? and that no, just because Doctor Who manages to make everything work out in the end (her words, not mine) that it doesn't mean she will, and that the whole lesson of time-travelling stories (at least a lot) is that itsn' not as easy as it's cracked out to be. i would then tell her trying to argue with her is stressing me out, and could she please maybe just dropnit, but then she'd ask why it bothers me and it goes on. A side note: when I get involved in an argument over even petty things I go hardcore for no reason so I usually just drop it before I get too invested so I can cure myself of my 'I have to be right' syndrome.

Well anyway, those are just some things I wanted to mention because I'm curious.
Thoughts?

I don't like sounds from Microsoft Windows or other os'es. Always turn them off. Notifications on phone. Skateboard with hard wheels. Can't relax if someone comes from behind me on a skateboard, and it makes alot of noice. Not sure if it's just me, or if those skateboard making are annoying most people. Door slamming due to draft. Clock ticking. People making chewing noices. Zelda, when Link got little life left. Smurfs. Loud music, or lots of sounds because of many people talking, cause then i can't understand what other peoples are saying. SMS or phonecalls often makes me jump, even though i have choosen pleasant tones (might be because of pstd). Can't relax if someone elses phone is ringing. Britney Spears Toxic (might be because i like good music). Drunken people with loud voices. Tbh, i think many of those noises are hated by most people. Can't imagine anyone liking smurfs, atleast not when they are singing, or Britney Spears Toxic.

Most of what you listed seems to stem from an intense dislike of being made to hurry. Simply associating a stimuli with an unpleasant experience can cause it to become a trigger. I would not say this is an aspie trait persey, but difficulty switching tasks is a common aspergic trait and may be at the root of your frustration.

As for the situation with your friend; that does sound a bit like Asperger's. Social interactions are much more taxing for aspies than alistics, so it would make sense that you feel more irritated with this kind of chit-chat near the end of the day. School is, after all, an intesely social environment.

Frankly though; your friend's questions seem rather fun to me, and I would quite enjoy having a discussion about the virtues and speculative mechanics of time travel. Then again, if I were exhausted I might also want to simply be left alone.

Last edited:
I don't like sounds from Microsoft Windows or other os'es. Always turn them off. Notifications on phone. Skateboard with hard wheels. Can't relax if someone comes from behind me on a skateboard, and it makes alot of noice. Not sure if it's just me, or if those skateboard making are annoying most people. Door slamming due to draft. Clock ticking. People making chewing noices. Zelda, when Link got little life left. Smurfs. Loud music, or lots of sounds because of many people talking, cause then i can't understand what other peoples are saying. SMS or phonecalls often makes me jump, even though i have choosen pleasant tones (might be because of pstd). Can't relax if someone elses phone is ringing. Britney Spears Toxic (might be because i like good music). Drunken people with loud voices. Tbh, i think many of those noises are hated by most people. Can't imagine anyone liking smurfs, atleast not when they are singing, or Britney Spears Toxic.

I forgot this one, I have similar experiences to you on the phone/sms thing. There are three ways these tend to affect me.

- When I'm doing something (reading/computer) and my mom texts me, I get a bit annoyed. She always asks a lot of questions (because she's out of town at the moment) and I try to focus on my activity but hte constant buzzing annoys me and sometimes I yell in frustration.

- When I'm doing something and the alarm on my moms phone goes off. I get too lazy to go and turn it off and I just think that if it rings long enough, it'll stop, but it never does and I get really mad because my mom should be tending to her phone, not me lol.

-In a quiet setting ( when I'm napping/sleeping, or at night when I'm relaxing on my computer and it's dark) sudden phone calls make me really upset and I sometimes feel like crying. Because it startles me and I really don't want to have to asnwer it when it's probably a random seller. This is kinda like when my mom opens the door suddenly in the mornign before school and says my name kinda loud, I get really frightened and get upset.

Most of what you listed seems to stem from an intense dislike of being made to hurry. Simply associating a stimuli with an unpleasant experience can cause it to become a trigger. I would not say this is an aspie trait persey, but difficulty switching tasks is a common aspergic trait and may be at the root of your frustration.

As for the situation with your friend; that does sound a bit like Asperger's. Social interactions are much more taxing for aspies than alistics, so it would make sense that you feel more irritated with this kind of chit-chat near the end of the day. School is, after all, an intesely social environment.

Frankly though; your friend's questions seem rather fun to me, and I would quite enjoy having a discussion about the virtues and speculative mechanics of time travel. Then again, if I were exhausted I might also want to simply be left alone.

Interesting, that' very informative, I think that's what it is. I remember reading difficulty changing tasks is an aspergic thing, so I think you may be right. Also, what you said about my friend situation makes a lot of sense.
Amd yes, they are fun questions, it's just that the convo continues even when I want to stop talking, which is what makes it frustrating, since it's been a long day and I want to just rest my brain. but when I actually want to talk about a certain subject I'll talk all day lol. Not the most convenient thing.

Also, something worth mentioning is that when people whisper to them self in a dreamlike state, or ta/clap silently near me, it also irritates me and makes me stop focusing. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your reply.

New Threads

Top Bottom