• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Irma in south Florida

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Just thought I would open a thread, to say that anyone who lives in Florida, I hope that you have paid heed to evacuate?

I have been looking at footage in Youtube, because it is so far away from me, it is easy to be rather blase about it and I do not want to be, because I would not like that, if something hit where I live in France and so, by looking, I can feel the needed empathy.

To say frightening, is a bit of an understatement. Those who have got through it, said that they saw cars being tossed in to the air, so you can imagine if a human being was stupid enough to go out in winds up to 180 miles an hour?

To say frightening, is a bit of an understatement. Those who have got through it, said that they saw cars being tossed in to the air, so you can imagine if a human being was stupid enough to go out in winds up to 180 miles an hour?

I've had the Weather Channel on all day long for the last couple days. At least in this case it seems there's an overwhelming number of people who have wisely chosen to flee the area. With the authorities doing everything to assist people in their evacuation. But there remains a staggering number of people on major highways all headed north. Seems gasoline supplies to stations remains a problem. Other states like Georgia and South Carolina seem to be equally preparing for the worst.

I suppose the storm surge in Southern Florida could prove to be the worst along the coastline. Perhaps even further to the north per the forecasters, 5 to 10 feet high. Very destructive where it might remove a one-story building from its foundation. To quote the forecasters, "Life-threatening and catastrophic".

National and Local Weather Radar, Daily Forecast, Hurricane and information from The Weather Channel and weather.com

Last edited:
Creepy to hear Di$ney World won't be closing until tomorrow. :eek:

Pack 'em in to the last minute, despite the incredibly congested highways with everyone trying to get out of Dodge at the same time. That's just sad. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you Suzanne for mentioning the hurricane Irma. As I often have bad timing I managed to start another thread, although I think it would have fit nicely in this thread. Take care, everybody‼

I can't believe the people that stay. Apparently it's about a quarter of those who live in Key West. The two times I've been evacuated, I evacuated. (OK, one of those was my 10th birthday so there was no choice, but still.)

I got word that the RD in my building made it to Atlanta to a friend's house, so he, his wife, and their little dog are okay. They were in Punta Gorda visiting his folks, so I suspect they got out in time. It looks like the path shifted a little, so we'll be seeing some leftover weather up here as it fizzles out.

Well, keep your head down and stay dry! Yeah, it looks like your corner of the world is going to get some of it, but hopefully with winds no more than 35 mph. Hard to gauge what will actually happen with the storm track changing ever so much by the hour. It sure does look rough for the Keys and Southern Florida with the storm surge.

Yeah, I don't know how the Keys have survived so many hurricanes. I doubt the wind will be very bad here. Shoot, we've had straight-line winds come through here at 65 to 85 MPH before. That was a little disturbing. After it passed I found my porch furniture across the street in the Nazarene Church yard.

I heard some really ugly possibilities about the Keys based on 140-155 winds. That the whole highway system and pylons that support it could go. So many challenges to modern engineering standards may be in play with this storm. Scary stuff.

I evacuated during early morning hours and made it out of Florida without too much traffic but I know of some that are stuck in traffic, running out of gas, etc. As if that isn't stressful enough now I have to wait it out and hope I have a house to get back to, that hopefully isn't flooded.

I evacuated during early morning hours and made it out of Florida without too much traffic but I know of some that are stuck in traffic, running out of gas, etc. As if that isn't stressful enough now I have to wait it out and hope I have a house to get back to, that hopefully isn't flooded.

Glad you made it out. :)

I live up here in the Pacific Northwest and one of the biggest issues we are dealing with is fire. There are so many wild fires burning here that the air has become unbreathable from all the smoke. You can't see more than 50 feet in front of you.

Thanks Suzanne for starting this post.
I have been reporting on Irma most of the week on other threads in reply to Chance and Streetwise's inquiries.
I live in Tampa Bay area. Tonight it's suppose to head straight up the west coast to us.
Cat 5 - 165 mph winds last I heard a few hours ago.

The Keys had to be evacuated along with the southern tip of Florida. Millions have been going north, bumper to bumper all week from that area up the three main highways. Yes, they are running out of gas and getting stranded with the whole state to be covered by this 300 mile wide hurricane. The shelters are also full.
The emergency departments and government officials are asking those who live in sturdy homes that are not in the evacuation zones close to the seas to stock up and hunker down. The roads are too full and moving about 15 miles per hour. It's too late to out run this.

I am in a no evacutation zone, but, not all that far from the beach. If it floods here, it will be due to torrential rain, not storm surge from gulf. The house is concrete and block and built low. The roof could still be ripped off and the whole back side is sliding glass that goes out to the pool and overlooks a golf course. That could be dangerous too. Stores and restaurants have all shut down until Monday and there is a curfew by 6 pm tonight.
Can't leave house after that. I'm sure we'll lose power and at 90 degree heat, that's going to be miserable.
Have hurricane lanterns and battery powered radio.
We've spent yesterday and today securing the house
and getting all loose things like potted plants or patio furniture inside.
Just really hope the roof holds. It's going to be bad enough with no electric, and probably water will get into the house under the doors. Hope we have stocked enough food. No gasoline anywhere here now in this area.

I will keep everyone updated as long as I can.

With the authorities doing everything to assist people in their evacuation. But there remains a staggering number of people on major highways all headed north. Seems gasoline supplies to stations remains a problem

I am very impressed with how your authorities are dealing with this and to the extent, that they have signers ( unless that is the norm), but still great.

As for gas, the authorities are PLEADING with those who need gas to take ONLY WHAT THEY NEED; to be thoughtful of others.

Yes, I saw the staggering numbers on the road and thought: with that amount, irma is going to get to them, before they reach safety!

Creepy to hear Di$ney World won't be closing until tomorrow. :eek:

Pack 'em in to the last minute, despite the incredibly congested highways with everyone trying to get out of Dodge at the same time. That's just sad. :rolleyes:

Greed is what comes to mind! Hope if they survive, they feel shame!

Thank you Suzanne for mentioning the hurricane Irma. As I often have bad timing I managed to start another thread, although I think it would have fit nicely in this thread. Take care, everybody‼

This is actually the first time for me. I usually never get involved, but obsessions seem to be on a high with me and have several going at one time and irma is one of them.

I can't believe the people that stay. Apparently it's about a quarter of those who live in Key West. The two times I've been evacuated, I evacuated. (OK, one of those was my 10th birthday so there was no choice, but still.)

I know what you mean. Just read that a few are refusing to evacuate and one is a british couple, because they are enjoying the empty beach. I hope for their sakes, that they figure out in time, that it is all false and that very soon, they will be fighting for their lives

Another couple said that they will just seek cover at the time. Obviously have very little idea of strong irma is.

I rather follow the call and be called a wimp; than stay and very well have my life taken from me.

Hard to gauge what will actually happen with the storm track changing ever so much by the hour. It sure does look rough for the Keys and Southern Florida with the storm surge.

Especially as it changed from cat 5 to 4 and now back to 5 and took a turn slightly to the right, but a steady staying power with the epy centre being right on Florida! Says it is imment that Florida is going to get hit.

Interesting to note: as something as big as irma moves ( as big as France), one would think it would lose its power, but the water is not cooling down and therefore, at temperatures reaching 90, that storm gets more powerful.

I think that people are under an illusion that it is just a bit of wind and as long as you are inside, it won't attack, but buildings have to be study, in order to battle against the impact of this wind.

I live up here in the Pacific Northwest and one of the biggest issues we are dealing with is fire. There are so many wild fires burning here that the air has become unbreathable from all the smoke. You can't see more than 50 feet in front of you.

Yes, sorry I did not mention that. My friends on facebook are highlighting this too.

Thanks Suzanne for starting this post.
I have been reporting on Irma most of the week on other threads in reply to Chance and Streetwise's inquiries.
I live in Tampa Bay area. Tonight it's suppose to head straight up the west coast to us.
Cat 5 - 165 mph winds last I heard a few hours ago.

The Keys had to be evacuated along with the southern tip of Florida. Millions have been going north, bumper to bumper all week from that area up the three main highways. Yes, they are running out of gas and getting stranded with the whole state to be covered by this 300 mile wide hurricane. The shelters are also full.
The emergency departments and government officials are asking those who live in sturdy homes that are not in the evacuation zones close to the seas to stock up and hunker down. The roads are too full and moving about 15 miles per hour. It's too late to out run this.

I am in a no evacutation zone, but, not all that far from the beach. If it floods here, it will be due to torrential rain, not storm surge from gulf. The house is concrete and block and built low. The roof could still be ripped off and the whole back side is sliding glass that goes out to the pool and overlooks a golf course. That could be dangerous too. Stores and restaurants have all shut down until Monday and there is a curfew by 6 pm tonight.
Can't leave house after that. I'm sure we'll lose power and at 90 degree heat, that's going to be miserable.
Have hurricane lanterns and battery powered radio.
We've spent yesterday and today securing the house
and getting all loose things like potted plants or patio furniture inside.
Just really hope the roof holds. It's going to be bad enough with no electric, and probably water will get into the house under the doors. Hope we have stocked enough food. No gasoline anywhere here now in this area.

I will keep everyone updated as long as I can.

I wish with all my heart, that I could help you! If you have a mobile device, download an app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie.

As long as the roof is made of strong material, it should hold hold.

Very wise to secure everything. I saw one chap throwing furniture into his pool lol

You may have to lay low in your bathroom. That is what one couple did and they survived.

Also I heard that people used ropes to tie themselves to things.

Do you have whatsapp? If you do, I am happy to keep in touch with you, until the point that we are cut off.

I wish with all my heart, that I could help you! If you have a mobile device, download an app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie.

As long as the roof is made of strong material, it should hold hold.

Very wise to secure everything. I saw one chap throwing furniture into his pool lol

You may have to lay low in your bathroom. That is what one couple did and they survived.

Also I heard that people used ropes to tie themselves to things.

Do you have whatsapp? If you do, I am happy to keep in touch with you, until the point that we are cut off.
Thanks, but, no I only have the plainest of a cell phone.
Yes, patio furniture into the pool.
Hopefully I'll be back later today before I lose contact.

Though this applies for this situation, it's true of "riding out" any strong storm.

Most houses have a first floor hallway or central spot where multiple interior walls come together. This space also usually also has two or more interior doors and no windows. This is the structurally strongest place in the house and the safest. Short of the entire house being destroyed, this is where you are most likely to survive if structural damage occurs.

New Threads

Top Bottom