• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

iPod Touch failed to be jailbroken

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I'm not really sure if Greenp0ison was the right program to jailbreak an 2nd generation iPod touch that's running firmware (or is it iOS ?) 4.2.1 because it keeps failing to jailbreak it or maybe I'm not doing the DFU part correctly since I have only 3 seconds to fully understand the damn procedure before it began but I'm new to whole this Apple iPod device jail-breaking and not sure if I'm running the correct program or not.

The articles and websites on this subject are never noob friendly when it comes to information on what program to use and how to identify your Apple device and etc and greenp0ison seems more like a tricky Super Mario Bros level rather than a jailbreak program. Has anyone successfully jail broken an iPod touch or any other devices ?

While I haven't yet tried to do so, the guy at Best Buy who sold me my tablet actually suggested trying to jailbreak it. I thought that was rather humorous because I thought they of all people would discourage such a thing. Go figure.

While I haven't yet tried to do so, the guy at Best Buy who sold me my tablet actually suggested trying to jailbreak it. I thought that was rather humorous because I thought they of all people would discourage such a thing. Go figure.

That is a little weird considering they aren't on commission. You just know Apple would take a very dim view of that.

I've always thought part of knowing all the hacks is to also know all the possible consequences. Indeed, go figure...

You just know Apple would take a very dim view of that.
If there was a middle finger emotion icon to use for this thread, this is what I would show to Apple. In my view, I find the person should have the freedom to jailbreak a device just like people root their Android device. However, not all comapines agree with me. I was thinking of jailbreak my iPhone 6. But the fact I hate iPhone as a whole and only got it to develop apps. I feel it not worth my time.

If there was a middle finger emotion icon to use for this thread, this is what I would show to Apple. In my view, I find the person should have the freedom to jailbreak a device just like people root their Android device. However, not all companies agree with me. I was thinking of jailbreak my iPhone 6. But the fact I hate iPhone as a whole and only got it to develop apps. I feel it not worth my time.

Well, most of us geeks don't appreciate proprietary controls on the part of manufacturers. That's no surprise. However think of it from the perspective of the manufacturer. Once you allow users to alter and freelance a device's intended operation, you potentially invite compromising the manufacturer's quality control. Something which can skew a manufacturer's products liability.

If you developed an app, and users altered it which threatened the integrity of the app itself, would people likely blame the user or blame the developer if the alteration negatively impacted the app's intended function ? Better yet, would you want that condition to exist without legal protections for you as a developer?

If you developed an app, and users altered it which threatened the integrity of the app itself, would people likely blame the user or blame the developer if the alteration negatively impacted the app's intended function ? Better yet, as a developer, would you want that condition to exist without legal protections for you as a developer?
OK you got me there for that one. But still, I don't agree how controlling Apple is. I feel you can do nothing on their devices. Though I know it not true, but for me, their products is just not ideal for me.

OK you got me there for that one. But still, I don't agree how controlling Apple is. I feel you can do nothing on their devices. Though I know it not true, but for me, their products is just not ideal for me.

Same reason I own a PC instead of a Mac. But I'd LOVE to build my own Mac and run OSX. But I can't do that either.

I get you, but I also get Apple on this issue. ;)

As for me able to write something positive about Apple, I do approve of their standards for the development guide. Anyhow, hopefully we find a solution for this thread.

As for me able to write something positive about Apple, I do approve of their standards for the development guide. Anyhow, hopefully we find a solution for this thread.

I'd think the solution if any is that the device may eventually be jailbroken whether Apple likes it or not. If the user is willing to give up their warranty in the process, it would seem to be a relatively amicable resolve. But I suspect an army of lawyers would probably argue that point for some rea$on. :p

I'd think the solution if any is that the device may eventually be jailbroken whether Apple likes it or not. If the user is willing to give up their warranty in the process, it would seem to be a relatively amicable resolve. But I suspect an army of lawyers would probably argue that point for some rea$on. :p
If it with Apple Care, person might be out of luck. But if you like me get a warranty with someone else like Best Buy, no worries. I rooted an Samsung phone would also void a warranty, but never had issues getting a replacement phone with the Best Buy warranty plan. I also like they give you a replacement the same day unlike other companies you must wait.

Same reason I own a PC instead of a Mac. But I'd LOVE to build my own Mac and run OSX. But I can't do that either.

You might want to have a look at hackintosh.com and tonymacx86.com, if you haven't already and are interested in building your own system running osx. I looked into it a couple years ago and it seemed perfectly feasable, but eventually went with a second hand macmini instead (didn't want the hassle).

You might want to have a look at hackintosh.com and tonymacx86.com, if you haven't already and are interested in building your own system running osx. I looked into it a couple years ago and it seemed perfectly feasable, but eventually went with a second hand macmini instead (didn't want the hassle).
I almost was thinking the hackintosh route, but there not much support for laptops.

I'm not really sure if Greenp0ison was the right program to jailbreak an 2nd generation iPod touch that's running firmware (or is it iOS ?) 4.2.1 because it keeps failing to jailbreak it or maybe I'm not doing the DFU part correctly since I have only 3 seconds to fully understand the damn procedure before it began but I'm new to whole this Apple iPod device jail-breaking and not sure if I'm running the correct program or not.

The articles and websites on this subject are never noob friendly when it comes to information on what program to use and how to identify your Apple device and etc and greenp0ison seems more like a tricky Super Mario Bros level rather than a jailbreak program. Has anyone successfully jail broken an iPod touch or any other devices ?

I pretty much jailbreak all my iStuff, including my 2nd generation ipod touch. I used greenp0ison for that one, back in the day. So it should work, might take a few tries though. Just make sure to restore the original firmware/ios first. And have a thorough look at the instructions first (they can be confusing) so you have a good idea of which buttons to press when during the procedure.

It's always good to realize that jailbreaking might make your device run less stable, or make it less secure, but I'd think people who jailbreak their devices are aware of that and won't be blaming Apple or developers for any problems that arise from it. When devices are brought in for warranty it will almost always be because of some hardware failure, not the software. Can a jailbreak influence the hardware? I guess it can, if you push the device into running too hot maybe, but I've never heard of such a thing happening. And if the device's old enough you don't have warranty anyway.

I might be an atypical user though. Never send anything into warranty, never called for support or so.

I almost was thinking the hackintosh route, but there not much support for laptops.
Yep, laptops are more tricky. But if you're a developer (like with your iphone 6) I'd think it's probably best to keep things as standard as possible anyway, so you can test your apps under the same conditions your clients will use the apps.

Yep, laptops are more tricky. But if you're a developer (like with your iphone 6) I'd think it's probably best to keep things as standard as possible anyway, so you can test your apps under the same conditions your clients will use the apps.
agreed. I'm just happy I'm great getting deals. I got them to take off $300 for MacBook Air.

New Threads

Top Bottom