• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Invisible Women with Autism article

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Just came across this article...thought I'd share.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/10/the-invisible-women-with-autism/410806/

Quote from the article:

The multisite project that Pelphrey leads is making headway into learning how girls with autism are different—both by recording their behavior and by scanning their brains. For example, one of the cardinal observations about autism is that people with the condition seem uninterested in, or at least disengaged from, social interactions. Intriguing brain-imaging evidence from Pelphrey’s lab suggests that this is true only for boys with autism.

“The most surprising thing—it might not be surprising to the clinicians out there, but to the scientists—is that we’re seeing strong social-brain activation or function in girls with autism, which is, strictly speaking, counter to everything we’ve reported ourselves and other groups have reported,” says Pelphrey. “Their social brains seem to be intact.”

The social brain is an interconnected set of brain regions, including the face-processing fusiform gyrus; the amygdala, an emotion hub; and the superior temporal sulcus, which tracks other people’s attention and movements. Imaging studies have reported that the social brain is underactive in people with autism, but Pelphrey’s lab has found that if typical girls have the most active social brains and boys with autism the least active, typical boys would tie with girls who have autism somewhere in the middle. “That kind of blew us away,” he says.

Particularly interesting is the unpublished observation that in girls with autism, the social brain seems to communicate with the prefrontal cortex, a brain region that normally engages in reason and planning, and is known to burn through energy. It may be that women with autism keep their social brain engaged, but mediate it through the prefrontal cortex—in a sense, intellectualizing social interactions that would be intuitive for other women.

“That suggests compensation,” Pelphrey says. It also jibes with women like Maya saying they have learned the rules of social interactions, but find it draining to act on them all day. “It’s exhausting because it’s like you’re doing math all day,” Pelphrey says.

Pelphrey is right that this finding isn’t entirely a surprise to clinicians. Some scientists who regularly see women with autism have picked up on their remarkable ability to learn the rules enough to camouflage their symptoms—the way Maya has learned to. (“I don’t like making eye contact,” Maya says. “I do it because I have to and I know it’s appropriate.”)

This means clinicians have to be more creative when diagnosing women on the spectrum, rather than simply looking for, say, repetitive behavior, as they might with men. “Without their self-report telling you how stressful it is to maintain appearances, you wouldn’t really know,” says Francesca Happé, the director of the MRC Centre at King’s College London. “They have good imitation, good intonation in their language, body language—surface behavior isn’t very useful for a diagnosis, at least for a certain set of women on the spectrum.”

For example, one of the cardinal observations about autism is that people with the condition seem uninterested in, or at least disengaged from, social interactions. Intriguing brain-imaging evidence from Pelphrey’s lab suggests that this is true only for boys with autism.
Does this mean I'm a boy?

For example, one of the cardinal observations about autism is that people with the condition seem uninterested in, or at least disengaged from, social interactions.
Now that Aspergers is one of the things referred to by the name "autism" this statement is too absolute (even if restricted only to males). It is only true of certain types of autism-not of others.
However, the word "seem"-if taken very literally, could make this statement more true. I myself probably seem uninterested in social interactions. In point of fact, I am very interested in them, but I distance myself from participation in them, since I have learned that such participation ends up being painful.

I myself probably seem uninterested in social interactions. In point of fact, I am very interested in them, but I distance myself from participation in them, since I have learned that such participation ends up being painful.

I couldn't agree more...this is my experience as well.

I don't think the article's author intended to dictate sex changes. It's just discussing patterns that they're noticing in their research. This is useful insights for someone like me who has managed to fly under the radar most of my life, pulling off a somewhat acceptable semblance of "normalcy", and yet greatly struggling underneath the surface. Everyone knows that no two aspies are alike. And at one point in the article they state that their insights apply to a "certain set" of the female aspie population, not all of it.

This is useful insights for someone like me who has managed to fly under the radar most of my life, pulling off a somewhat acceptable semblance of "normalcy", and yet greatly struggling underneath the surface.
Me too, diagnosed as adult, but this article is saying I'm a boy. And I find that with every "female vs male" autism comparison I've seen. "only for boys", true for me, therefore I am a boy. Except I'm not. o_O

Not mine, which apparently makes me male. I'm very confused.:confused:
I guess I'm a girl.
Wanna trade autism so we fit what whoever wrote this said?
It's the Law of Conservation of Gender...
nerd.gif

but this article is saying I'm a boy.

This sounds like personalization to me...just my impression.

common cognitive distortions

"only for boys", true for me, therefore I am a boy.

Seems like a huge leap in logic.

Autism is a spectrum, not a box. That can sometimes be difficult for our black-and-white-thinking minds to contemplate, but that's okay.

No big deal. You've got your experience, and I've got mine. None of us fits in a box...that's kind of the crux of being on the spectrum.

Not really. If all boys but no girls have something, and I have that thing, that means by this I must be a boy.
Yeah, but it didn't say "all" boys, nor did it say "no" girls. It just said boys, and girls. Which sometimes means "all" and other times just means "most of them." In this case, I think it means "a lot of them."

Then why didn't it say "a lot of them"? Surely the author must know better than using non-literal language? And everyone not a girl is a boy.

research says that there are no such things as male and female brains http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e-female-brains-same-but-people-all-different

i have learned the rules of social interaction very well over the years, i think. i can make small talk and maintain very casual friendships with normal people. but it is tiring and not very fun. with the exception of my real friends who get me, i would rather read and study alone than spend time with people 99 times out of 100.

This means clinicians have to be more creative when diagnosing women on the spectrum, rather than simply looking for, say, repetitive behavior, as they might with men. “Without their self-report telling you how stressful it is to maintain appearances, you wouldn’t really know,” says Francesca Happé, the director of the MRC Centre at King’s College London. “They have good imitation, good intonation in their language, body language—surface behavior isn’t very useful for a diagnosis, at least for a certain set of women on the spectrum.”
Francesca Happé is the subject of tomorrow's The Life Scientific: BBC Radio 4 - The Life Scientific, Francesca Happé on autism

New Threads

Top Bottom