• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

Kelsay

Hello everyone!

My name is Kelsay, I am 23 and I was officially diagnosed with HFA three months ago. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for the greater part of the past six months, and alcoholism for the past year. I had a very socially isolated childhood, so I thought my difficulty with socializing had more to do with that than anything else, but I'm learning that's not the case. I typically overthink my social interactions and it has been hard for me to accept that I'm just different and to not try to act like everyone else. I hate situations where I have to figure what people want or what they're feeling because I don't know how and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't like hugs, loud noises (like beeping), small talk, lying, crowds and parking in a different spot at work literally gives me anxiety. I'm also really good at masking (or at least I think I am) so I'm not sure how to not do it. I am a mystery even to myself!

Thanks for reading! :blush:

Welcome to AF. Hopefully you'll get some comfort in being able to interact with your own kind, and perhaps mostly to realize that despite any loneliness and frustration, to have much in common with us. :)

Hey, this morning I had to do the monthly grocery shopping. Where I park in a huge lot in the same place nearly every time. Our bad! ;) :p

Hello Kelsay, you're in good company here. Some of us have decided to live with it, others have decided to try improving, most folks seem to be the right sort and you will find this place a good spot to connect. Welcome aboard!

Thrice Welcome @Kelsay.

Finding one's true self is part of the journey of life. I do not think I actually found out who that might be until I was in my late forties or early fifties, and I am still discovering things even now.

We are our own major source of stress. It comes from our expectations of self and the struggle to fit in and disappear into the background of life. Even when we think we have a way to successfully fade into the background, someone is always going to take note of a success or a failure. That is part of life and part of accepting who we are.

First and foremost, be kind to yourself and do not try to fall in line with everyone else unless it advances your understanding of who you are and what you are capable of, for we all tend to underestimate our gifts.

May you find peace and comfort here.

upload_2022-6-29_20-42-29.png

Welcome. You are in good company here. Too many, me included had intense social anxiety and had to find a way through, sometimes with help and sometimes by ourselves. Sometimes I am a curmudgeon, but I love the people here who have taught me much, sometimes with their insightful writing.

Hi and welcome. You listed much that I have often felt or done. Except I decided I was too dyspraxic aka clumsy to drive, so no parking problems I just get lifts from my partner in our car! Safer for everyone...

There's others here struggling with addictions too, hope you are making some progress and getting support with that?

There are upsides to how we are, I hope you see that too? We are all different, but I see a lot of creativity, skills and abilities here. Maybe we're not mainstream, but we have plenty to offer. Glad you found the forums here!

:watermelon::strawberry::cherries::shavedice::shortcake::cherries::strawberry::watermelon:

New Threads

Top Bottom