• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

Denis

Hello everyone. My son has Aspergers. He was diagnosed with it when he was about 5 1/2. I remember noticing that he was barely talking when he was 2. When he would play with his toys he would line everything up, like his Matchbox cars in long lines, even around curves or corners.

When he started going to swimming school he would really misbehave and act crazy. I mean in a way where he was so excited he would run along the side of the pool and jump in or splash other kids even when the instructor would admonish him. He's on meds now. I didn't want him on meds, but in first grade I was called to his school because he was going wild. That's around when he was diagnosed.

I've read books, articles, watched videos. I've tried to get him to follow routines. I've tried to set goals. Sometimes I have been successful, other times I have not. But over the past year, it went from him having lots of friends at school to now only 2 or 3.

The main thing now is that he just keeps repeating the same mistakes or bad behaviors over and over again. For example, not matter how many times my wife or I tell him to turn his head and cover his mouth when he coughs, he just keeps coughing right in my face or his mother's. Or no matter how many times I tell him, as soon as he wants to speak, he just cuts me or whoever off and says what he wants to say.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I could be doing better. If anybody can give me some advice, that would be great.

Welcome! I’m not a parent myself, but there are quite a few people with children on the spectrum on these forums, so I’m sure you’ll be getting advice soon :)

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

upload_2020-2-29_5-47-39.png

Hi and welcome,read up on social stories as they help provide scrips for various situations and may ease the frustration of you not feeling heard or making progress with him

New Threads

Top Bottom