• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

c4e461

V.I.P Member
Hi, my name is Jolynn and I have been a member of this forum for a few years, but this is the first time I am posting. I am an NT parent and have been interested in advocating for autism rights ever since my oldest daughter was identified as being on the spectrum about 10 years ago.

She is now 30 years old and because of the problems she faced as a neurodiverse person in school, at work, etc. I decided to begin doing research to help teachers, psychologists, therapists, social workers, doctors, and nurses understand life from the perspective of a person on the spectrum. I could write a pages about the discrimination and bullying my daughter has dealt with over the years - but she is resilient and optimistic and has never let others' prejudices get her down.

Several years ago, I decided to get my PhD in social work so I could break into the academic world so I could publish and present research at conferences, and help educate aspiring social workers and psychologists about asperger's and autism. I was shocked at how little is known, and how many misperceptions there are.

Over the past few years I have published a couple of articles focusing on adults, especially women, on the autism spectrum. There is so much information on children, and not much is out there about adults, especially information about people like my daughter who struggle for years being unidentified/diagnosed.

My most recent interest is to find out more about microaggressions (subtle ways people put down or negate others based on being on the spectrum). There is absolutely no research out there on this topic. Another social worker and I created a survey and put a link to it on a Facebook page and have gotten hundreds of Likes, but no one has completed the survey.

I thought of this forum as another way to reach out and find people who would be willing to share their experiences. I don't want to be offensive - I am not doing this for profit - I do this research in my spare time to try to educate other professionals. I'm reaching out to see if it would be acceptable to post some information and link to the research page on this forum. If that is not acceptable, that is OK - I appreciate your feedback and thank you for your time.

Wow, your daughter must feel very blessed to have you as a parent?!

I find out about aspergers about 7 year's ago now, in a magazine called: the Awake and it was a story about a GIRL who has aspergers and thus, my first introduction and although I felt she was far worse than me ( consequently, not at all), it was like I was reading about myself. And so, started on the road to know as much as I could.

I live in France and as predicted, they do not recognise females as having aspergers and so, I saw my hope running out in getting a diagnosis.

I quickly learned all about aspergers and coming on here also helped tremendously. It also became apparent that girls are not recognised as much as boys, but I find YouTube to be fantastic, because there are so many aspie girls and women on there, describing how life is for them and this helps to concrete my own thought on having aspergers.

I am currently seeing a psychiatrist ( which has taken a bit of getting used to, because I bulk at the idea of being mentally not well) and hope that I can be strong enough, to throw off any taunts of laughter from him. He may surprise me, but twice I have mentioned aspergers to other professionals and been told out right that I do not have autism ( despite saying: aspergers).

It is very hard, being an unprofessional but knowing a heck of a lot more than the professionals.

Anyway, I laud you for this, because it helps us aspies out enourmously to have nts on our team! :)

Thanks, Suzanne - I appreciate your kind words. It seems that the U.K. is more advanced in understanding neurodiversity and autism in females compared to the U.S., and from your description, France. Fortunately there is growing awareness that the medical model is not the best or only module for understanding autistic persons. I wish you the very best and I sincerely hope your psychiatrist is open-minded and understanding.

I think this sounds fantastic. I would love to get the link to the research site, so if it takes some time before you post it here on the forum, I hope you can PM me with the information.
Thanks!

psychiatrist is open-minded and understanding

He might surprise me and hope he does. But currently, he has a one mind set and that is not about aspergers.

I have taken to translate what I have been doing since last seeing him and what I would wish for and go from there and this time ( I have hesitated and lost courage before), I have told the "truth" and stated that I really want to be tested for aspergers and explained that I am in contact with diagnosed ones and if anything, they concrete further that I am also on the spectrum.

I think this sounds fantastic. I would love to get the link to the research site, so if it takes some time before you post it here on the forum, I hope you can PM me with the information.
Thanks!

Thanks Sarepta - I have to get permission from the forum moderator/owner of this site first - then I have to get permission from the university board that reviews and approves research that involves people. Even though I have approval to advertise on Facebook, I need to request an amendment if I want advertise on any other sites or social media. It takes a little time, but it is the only way to ethically conduct a study and protect participants. I hope this does not take too long - I will definitely follow up with you.

He might surprise me and hope he does. But currently, he has a one mind set and that is not about aspergers.

I have taken to translate what I have been doing since last seeing him and what I would wish for and go from there and this time ( I have hesitated and lost courage before), I have told the "truth" and stated that I really want to be tested for aspergers and explained that I am in contact with diagnosed ones and if anything, they concrete further that I am also on the spectrum.

Hi Suzanne, good luck and be persistent. In the U.S. the only way to get support is through diagnosis, which is a shame because if a clinician does not understand how women experience asperger's and autism, they may not diagnose it. The diagnostic criteria for asperger's and autism were developed based on male "symptoms," which is why girls and women get overlooked or misdiagnosed. This is slowly changing, but there is information out there that you might be able to share with your psychiatrist. Keep trying - you will find someone who understands and can support you.

I am both a parent of an ASD 3 son and also have ASD 1 myself. I'm glad you are doing things to help your daughter and to further research, we need people like that.
I often wonder what my son will be like when he's 30.. So far he's in a controlled environment and no bullying or harassment, but I can imagine the things he will inevitably face.

You're doing some interesting and valuable work by the sounds of things. I'm particularly intrigued by your mention of micro-aggressions. I'm working on an online video series about adult autism and acceptance of neural diversity, and micro-aggressions, small shifts in attitude, comments or actions intended to hurt or undermine whilst seeming trivial to NT observers, is one of the subjects I'll be covering.

Hi Jolynn

welcome to af.png

I am both a parent of an ASD 3 son and also have ASD 1 myself. I'm glad you are doing things to help your daughter and to further research, we need people like that.
I often wonder what my son will be like when he's 30.. So far he's in a controlled environment and no bullying or harassment, but I can imagine the things he will inevitably face.
Thank for your comments. My daughter is amazing-of course, I’m her mom so I am biased :) But it’s a tough world and I am always worried about my kids even though they’re adults. I just keep in mind that there are more kind and caring people in the world, than there are negative ones. I wish more could be done in schools to stop bullying. My daughter had a tough time in traditional school. She was in a cyber school for a couple of years, but it was very isolating. Then we found a small charter school where she just blossomed. The teachers and students were accepting and no one put up with bullying - the kids really stood up for each other. I realize now how lucky we were to find that school.

You're doing some interesting and valuable work by the sounds of things. I'm particularly intrigued by your mention of micro-aggressions. I'm working on an online video series about adult autism and acceptance of neural diversity, and micro-aggressions, small shifts in attitude, comments or actions intended to hurt or undermine whilst seeming trivial to NT observers, is one of the subjects I'll be covering.

Thanks. I would like to hear more about your work as you progress with it-the more info out there, the better!

Thanks. I would like to hear more about your work as you progress with it-the more info out there, the better!
I've got to be honest and I've heard other people say that the surveys have too many questions.
Thing about autism is we don't have natural communication skills ,so 50 questions is shattering to answer.
I wanted to understand !why I was diagnosed with The label !high functioning autism !but I don't have the energy to do the online autism diagnosis quizzes ,they are too long.
The main micro aggression for me is the fact that we are diagnosed ,immediately that makes you different !with a negative connotation, then you get the patronising 'isn't it wonderful that they can do that !when they are autistic 'it is so degrading .
Why is neuro typical neurology seen to be superior by neuro typicals.

I've got to be honest and I've heard other people say that the surveys have too many questions.
Thing about autism is we don't have natural communication skills ,so 50 questions is shattering to answer.
I wanted to understand !why I was diagnosed with The label !high functioning autism !but I don't have the energy to do the online autism diagnosis quizzes ,they are too long.
The main micro aggression for me is the fact that we are diagnosed ,immediately that makes you different !with a negative connotation, then you get the patronising 'isn't it wonderful that they can do that !when they are autistic 'it is so degrading .
Why is neuro typical neurology seen to be superior by neuro typicals.

Thanks for your feedback. I survey is a little too long, so I will need to look into that. And thanks for your thoughts on microaggressions - I suspect your experience is not unique.
I'm not a big fan of the "high functioning/low functioning" designations. I don't think of the spectrum as a straight line - I think of it more like the photo I uploaded here. Everyone, NT or ND, have strengths and challenges - they are just different ones in different areas.
spectrum.PNG

Welcome, @c4e461! I am truly impressed at how much work you have put in, first in understanding your daughter's condition, and then in spreading that understanding to others.

Thanks, Suzanne - I appreciate your kind words. It seems that the U.K. is more advanced in understanding neurodiversity and autism in females compared to the U.S., and from your description, France. Fortunately there is growing awareness that the medical model is not the best or only module for understanding autistic persons. I wish you the very best and I sincerely hope your psychiatrist is open-minded and understanding.
To add to any possible teaching aids ,I was not diagnosed till I was nearly 46 and this is very common for women in the UK ,until the age of 35 I had seen one woman With high functioning autism in the UK .
I was astounded that women could be diagnosed with high functioning autism ,I don't think the UK is a leader in autism diagnosis.

To add to any possible teaching aids ,I was not diagnosed till I was nearly 46 and this is very common for women in the UK ,until the age of 35 I had seen one woman With high functioning autism in the UK .
I was astounded that women could be diagnosed with high functioning autism ,I don't think the UK is a leader in autism diagnosis.

Thanks for this information - there is a good documentary called Autism in Pink - it's on the autismpink.net website. It was made in the U.K. and I've never seen anything like it in the U.S. so I got the impression that the U.K. was more ahead than the U.S. I appreciate your insight.
http://autisminpink.net/

Adult diagnosis in the UK is pretty poorly catered for no matter your gender, but without doubt it's more difficult for women. UK diagnostic priorities are heavily weighted towards children. It's fair to say that more girls are receiving AS/ASD assessments than there were 20 years ago, but there is still a perception of it being an issue that primarily affects males. I don't think it has helped that one of our prominent domestic experts wrote a paper on the "Extreme Male Brain" theory in regard to autism which gained a lot of traction.

http://cogsci.bme.hu/~ivady/bscs/read/bc.pdf

New Threads

Top Bottom