• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction and question

James Stone

Hello,

I am James, and I am the father of a 15 year old girl. Amber was first diagnosed on the spectrum around two years ago, and it was so late, because despite all of my questions and concerns, every doctor kept telling us that she was just shy. They stated that she was delayed for other reasons having to do with her being born with a cleft Palette. After years of hearing the same things over and over again, I finally found a doctor that listened. She has been getting help and has learned so much about herself and the world in this past year. She seems to be playing catch up, but she is resilient and has the great skill of being able to compensate for any short comings.

When our children turn 15, we let them pick any place in the world and we take just them on a trip. Since we have 6 kids, it affords us the ability to interact with just them in a special, memorable setting. Amber choose to go to Egypt, and while she was there she seemed to have a really good time. It can be hard to tell what she is thinking, but she was attentive to the things around her and seemed very interested. The problem that we faced during this trip, was that we had a guide showing us around, and I feel like she just wanted to experience things in her own way. She would stop and read the plaques in the museum instead of listening to the guide, or walk off and look at something that I did not see worth in, but she thought was fascinating.

This got me thinking about a question. How many parents of children with autism have taken their children to a museum and noticed differences to how that interact and learn? I understand that it will be different from child to child, but what did they do to interact and what helped them understand the things they were experiencing? What could be done to help your child, or all children interact or understand a museum experience?
I thank everyone for taking the time to read all of my ramblings. I still have a lot to learn about autism, and I look forward to learning some from everyone on this site.

James H Stone IV

upload_2019-4-10_11-37-34.png

Like you say it varies from child to child, NT or ASD. Its good to watch and ask them their opinion on things. My own experience with traveling and trips was that I generally did not like guided tours and would rather follow my own pace and interests. In a museum for instance I would spend all my time in my special interest areas. We tend to study narrow subjects intently rather then take a survey approach. But others might find the structure of a guided tour more comfortable if they feel unsure/unsafe on their own.

Btw, I think its great you do that with your kids and agree its a great experience (traveling). We did the same. I suspect one wouldn't have so much choice or opportunity to make your own itineries in Egypt. I would likely have stuck to well establish tourist programs for security reasons.

I also always hated guided tours. Much prefer to experience things my own way and learn things my own way and in my own time. And I still tend to wander off in any setting - my thoughts go it's own way and I forget I'm with someone else.
Welcome.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here; we constantly get NTs like yourself looking to better understand and help their loved ones who're on the spectrum, along with the other way around.

Like you say it varies from child to child, NT or ASD. Its good to watch and ask them their opinion on things. My own experience with traveling and trips was that I generally did not like guided tours and would rather follow my own pace and interests. In a museum for instance I would spend all my time in my special interest areas. We tend to study narrow subjects intently rather then take a survey approach. But others might find the structure of a guided tour more comfortable if they feel unsure/unsafe on their own.

Btw, I think its great you do that with your kids and agree its a great experience (traveling). We did the same. I suspect one wouldn't have so much choice or opportunity to make your own itineries in Egypt. I would likely have stuck to well establish tourist programs for security reasons.
Yes things can be unsafe in Egypt and that is why we went with guided tours for everything we did, but I tried my best to give my daughter the time she needed to see what she wanted to see. She is in to mummies and loved the Sphinx.

When I go somewhere interesting I like to focus on just one or two things. It takes me longer than normal people to absorb the experience, so I may sit and stare at a Jackson Pollack for an hour and everyone else is running around just glancing at everything.
Mummies are cool.

My eyes almost fell out of my skull when I read about that traveling thing! It's amazing the range of parents in the world.

But I don't quite understand what the problem you're describing is. Was it that she kept wandering off and you had to bring her back because she was leaving the group? She refused to stay together?

Guided tours, and similar things, because of their tone and awful jokes and assumption of stupidity, make me hate the world and myself. :)

I'm not a parent of a child with autism, but in my own opinion I think that her behavior in wandering away, and focusing her attention on different things, sounds very normal for a young person with high functioning autism. It sounds like she was really enjoying the trip to Egypt and probably had an abundance of excited energy during the tour. I wouldn't worry.

My eyes almost fell out of my skull when I read about that traveling thing! It's amazing the range of parents in the world.

But I don't quite understand what the problem you're describing is. Was it that she kept wandering off and you had to bring her back because she was leaving the group? She refused to stay together?

Guided tours, and similar things, because of their tone and awful jokes and assumption of stupidity, make me hate the world and myself. :)
She did not do anything wrong, I was just curious if anyone had suggestions on how the experience could be made easier for children with Autism.

She did not do anything wrong, I was just curious if anyone had suggestions on how the experience could be made easier for children with Autism.

What was it that was difficult for her? You said she had a great time, but I'm not sure where you described any problems.

New Threads

Top Bottom