• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introducing myself - an old fart from Queensland

xxandro

Hello,
I'm 74 and was diagnosed as on the spectrum at 63. ALWAYS understood I had originated on Mars.
A very chequered life. Friend count in primary school and high school: total 2, one a misfit post-war immigrant, the other a fellow supergeek. Joined a monastic order at 16 and left 4 years later. Studied Engineering at Uni, with a fail year due to depression, but final first class honours: go figure! First marriage lasted 7 years - I made a poor parent of one daughter: she's 45 now, waging her own battles. Spent years in Australia's hippie era (1975-1985 roughly), but I wasn't a real hippie, just eccentric/rebel/misfit. Looking for communes, but no skills to be a community contributor. Looking for sexual freedom, because our culture patently had sex totally wrong. But lacking sensitivity or skill. Thinking we could change the world.
Several tech jobs, both government and private, but staying at none past a couple of years. Tried freelance software, and my ideas were way outside the normal, but too disorganised as a business entrepeneur. Depression bouts.
Finally, penniless, "steered" by a friend who obviously could read me better than I could, into a very niche tech manager job in an international group where I had staff I didn't manage (they actually reported to someone else), and a corner to live in, and a creative licence to invent software and machines that the company used worldwide. First job, disassemble and study the world's brand new first-ever virus ("marijuana") and learn how to clean it from the company computers. Never once asked for a pay negotiation, never subject to any assessment interview, but my pay & extras went up every year. Embedded software and point-of-sale systems. Travelled and taught and demo'd in many countries, and had a reputation and "authority" I hadn't imagined was possible.
Also met R (corporate PA) about then who thought I was "different" but she just wanted me anyway. We are still together. Acceptance (both ways) is MASSIVE good therapy - I consider myself lucky.
In 15 years I was burned out with the work, but being frugal we had stowed our incomes. We both gave up work (ages 55/42) and travelled without any address for 6 years. R then trained as a Feldenkrais bodywork professional and it's a part time occupation which she now loves.
Bored, I went back to uni and did an Arts degree, Creative Writing major. I'd be a novelist, I thought. 1.5 books later, I've learned that while I once made a good tech writer (my opinion), I can't make novels anyone wants to read.
Helped set up a polyamory support group nearby, although I'm decades past being a participant (now just enjoying the soapboxing).
These days I tutor old folk in linux and sudoku and raspberry pi and freethinking philosophy, and I run a book club.
The best things in my life so far? (1) R (2) spectrum diagnosis.

Xxandro

Hi Xxandro, you have had an interesting life and it doesn't sound like it's over yet. ^‿^

Welcome to the forum.

upload_2020-2-25_10-17-21.png

Hey - it's great to have you here, looking forward to reading your posts here.

Hello & welcome "old fart". I like a honest, down to earth introduction after all. You'll fit in well here. Interesting life too. Much to share ☺

Hello,
I'm 74 and was diagnosed as on the spectrum at 63. ALWAYS understood I had originated on Mars.
A very chequered life. Friend count in primary school and high school: total 2, one a misfit post-war immigrant, the other a fellow supergeek. Joined a monastic order at 16 and left 4 years later. Studied Engineering at Uni, with a fail year due to depression, but final first class honours: go figure! First marriage lasted 7 years - I made a poor parent of one daughter: she's 45 now, waging her own battles. Spent years in Australia's hippie era (1975-1985 roughly), but I wasn't a real hippie, just eccentric/rebel/misfit. Looking for communes, but no skills to be a community contributor. Looking for sexual freedom, because our culture patently had sex totally wrong. But lacking sensitivity or skill. Thinking we could change the world.
Several tech jobs, both government and private, but staying at none past a couple of years. Tried freelance software, and my ideas were way outside the normal, but too disorganised as a business entrepeneur. Depression bouts.
Finally, penniless, "steered" by a friend who obviously could read me better than I could, into a very niche tech manager job in an international group where I had staff I didn't manage (they actually reported to someone else), and a corner to live in, and a creative licence to invent software and machines that the company used worldwide. First job, disassemble and study the world's brand new first-ever virus ("marijuana") and learn how to clean it from the company computers. Never once asked for a pay negotiation, never subject to any assessment interview, but my pay & extras went up every year. Embedded software and point-of-sale systems. Travelled and taught and demo'd in many countries, and had a reputation and "authority" I hadn't imagined was possible.
Also met R (corporate PA) about then who thought I was "different" but she just wanted me anyway. We are still together. Acceptance (both ways) is MASSIVE good therapy - I consider myself lucky.
In 15 years I was burned out with the work, but being frugal we had stowed our incomes. We both gave up work (ages 55/42) and travelled without any address for 6 years. R then trained as a Feldenkrais bodywork professional and it's a part time occupation which she now loves.
Bored, I went back to uni and did an Arts degree, Creative Writing major. I'd be a novelist, I thought. 1.5 books later, I've learned that while I once made a good tech writer (my opinion), I can't make novels anyone wants to read.
Helped set up a polyamory support group nearby, although I'm decades past being a participant (now just enjoying the soapboxing).
These days I tutor old folk in linux and sudoku and raspberry pi and freethinking philosophy, and I run a book club.
The best things in my life so far? (1) R (2) spectrum diagnosis.

Xxandro

Welcome Xxadro! Great introduction, by the way. I was diagnosed last month at 61, and like you did not have friends going through school. I am not sure yet what I think about the diagnosis.

Welcome! Wanted to visit Queensland for a while, to try wrestling some of those crocs! (Just joking, but I hear the tropics at the north are glorious.)

Welcome,
Thank you for introducing me to a new word "soapboxing".
I have not come across this form of the word before.

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you've lived an interesting life. I can relate to a lot of it.

Hi and welcome, your life sounds so interesting, and it sounds like you have stayed positive along the way. I hope you enjoy it here.

:blossom::sunflower::blossom::seedling::herb::leafwind::blossom::sunflower::blossom::cat:

Hello and welcome, Old Fart!
Hey, hey, I like that and your intro.
I'm pretty old myself, 62, diagnosed at 54.
Like the sound of your lifestyle. Always had the wanderlust myself, but, never got far.
Never married and considered a monastic life when I was younger too. Or a commune.

Look forward to hearing more about your journey!
I enjoy philosophy also. Here's something you might find interesting:
ONE.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom