• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introducing Me

Emma03

Hello, my name is Emma. I am 15 years old. I am currently in my freshman year of high school. I highly suspect that I am on the autism spectrum, but my parents are not agreeing to get me evaluated. As I do not think a diagnosis at this time will have a direct effect on my schooling, I have decided I can wait till I am 18 to get myself an evaluation.

I love to read, it is a great escape from things, and helps me calm down if I’m stressed, sad, angry, etc. My favorite genre of music is Alternative Rock, although my favorite band is Cimorelli.

I live with my mother, step-father, twin-sister, younger half-sister, her twin brother, my dog, and my cat. I also have an older half-sister that lives with her mother. I have grown up in a middle class home in a small town located in Iowa.

I have always been different than everyone around me, I was actually held back for an extra year of pre-school because of my issues with social development and hand-eye coordination. I didn’t know of autism until I was about 11. Even then, I knew next to nothing.

Since then, I have researched it quite a bit. I find many familiar things, and some stories that make me feel like less of an outcast. I found this forum, and I decided I may as well learn some more from people who have experience. I am hoping this will be a positive experience for me.

Sorry for the long introduction, I do tend to over share.
Thanks for reading!

Hi Emma, there's lots of information on the forum and lived experiences with autism. Hopefully it helps you on your journey of discovery. Welcome ≧◉◡◉≦

Hi welcome to the forum,a lot of what you said reminds me of my struggles I had while growing up undiagnosed and struggling at school,I really hope you make great friends here and also learn more about yourself.

Welcome to Autism Forums! Keep researching, there is always something new to learn.

Hello Emma

I am the eldest of 5 and an outcast ( a bit better now that I am older). I too, would read to escape reality.

Actually LOVE your introduction and LOVE "oversharing", because I am so "guilty" of that myself.

Probably the reason why your mother does not want to entertain that her daughter has aspergers, is because it would make her feel that she has failed in some way and thus, if you are an aspie, then you will become an expert in no time and be able to show her information that would tell her, that her support will help you to function in society.

raw

Did you try to get your GP to annoy your parents about that?
Or you could try to make your teacher keep bugging your parents about it

My parents refused evaluation since I was in kindergarden

Welcome to Autismforums.com, Emma.

This is a great post and I am impressed in your self-awareness and bravery. Continue to work with your parents and reach out to your school counselor / advisor.

We are glad you joined the forum.

Hey Emma I read a lot as well it is one of my main coping mechanisms. Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask any questions you may have also I wasn't diagnosed until I was 13, back then Asperger's was just becoming well known here in Georgia (no not the former Soviet Bloc country lol). Also one thing you may try telling your mom is Asperger's is not a sign of failure or anything bad it just means you have a different perspective on the world. In my case when I go out somewhere I am noticing all the details people miss.

New Threads

Top Bottom