• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Into the Autism-Verse

Anarkitty

V.I.P Member
Alright, let's do this one more time. I'm starting this way partly because I just loved the repetition of this line in Into the Spider-Verse, but I also feel the same way every time I begin reading the memoir of an autistic person--so many similarities, every time, along with radical differences. And then there's that feeling, also voiced in the movie--"You're like me. I thought I was the only one."

I'm almost 50 years old, female, and autistic. I have not been formally diagnosed, and I'm not sure I will ever be for several reasons. First, there are only three people on this island who CAN diagnose me, and none of them have gotten back to me--though a fourth would be happy to charge me almost $100 to go with me through a quiz that can be found on the internet and tell me whether or not she thinks it's worth further investigation. o_O Second, everyone starts these conversations with "it's expensive," and I've yet to get a straight answer on what that might mean--$500? $1,000? $10,000? "Expensive" is pretty relative, and the money spent would get me nothing more than another person's opinion. Third, I resent the idea that psychiatrists are the gatekeepers of my own neurology. I've read almost 20 books, books about autism by professionals as well as books written by autistic authors themselves, and I've written approximately 50 pages on the characteristics that I see in both myself and my oldest son. If we're not autistic, people are explaining it wrong. I'm not saying I never doubt. Sometimes I doubt, but I think that's mostly because it's weird to finally have a word for my differentness.

Our backstory: When my oldest son, who is now in his early twenties, was five, an Aspie co-worker of my husband's told us that he suspected that our son was also an Aspie. I did some research at that time and was surprised to find that I had just as many Aspie "quirks" as my son did. But there wasn't a lot of information out there at that time, and in the end, we put the idea to the side. He was homeschooled, so we didn't need supports, and if I'm completely honest, I didn't want to think about it at that time. Since there wasn't a lot of information available at that time, I really didn't even see the point in having a label for our quirkiness.

But I've thought a lot about it over the years, and I would sometimes refer to my "Aspie tendencies" when I realized I'd done something weird.

Fast forward about 17 years. I read a book with an Aspie protagonist, and while I was reading, I thought, "Ha! She's like an extreme version of me." And then I realized what that would mean.

So I did the normal thing and purchased/checked-out close to twenty books over the next few weeks, including Cynthia Kim's I Think I Might Be Autistic, in which she breaks down the DSM-V criteria for people who don't speak shrink, and I began answering those criteria in a document, adding details from my childhood and references to similarities I have to others on the spectrum from the books I was reading. This fits in a way that no other explanation ever has.

Oddly enough, in the late 80s, I did seek help from my school counselor, who eventually called in a psychiatrist or psychologist (I can't remember which) to talk to me, but it was the late 80s. Autism, in any flavor, wasn't on the radar at that time, especially for a relatively mildly impaired female. All he could say was that I wasn't bipolar. But I still remember him specifically mentioning two things at that time that might ring bells for him were I to talk to him again today--my bluntness and an odd way of phrasing things sometimes.

Anyway, hey, y'all. I usually don't do forums and social media because 1) most people suck and 2) I can get obsessive about them, and I would rather spend most of my time IRL. But I spent half the afternoon crying and upset--I'm still upset--because a nasty waitress was rude to us in a restaurant today. And I realized, once again, it would be nice to have a place to vent occasionally and chat with people who will perhaps understand me a bit better than most. So here I am. It's nice to meet you.

(Also, FTR, there is an artist who goes by Anarkitty. She is not me.)

Hello Anarkitty :)

It’s nice to meet you too.

There have been times waitresses have put me off eating due to their inexperience or attitude.

The fastest way to shut down my appetite and ruin the experience.

I liked your introductory post :)
Welcome.

Hi Anarkitty :)

welcome to af.png

Your situation sounds very familiar to me, and had a similar timeline, but also as you say radically different in details. I'm self diagnosed and a diagnosis was undesirable for me when I realized I was on the spectrum (I was in the military and it is a disqualifying medical condition). Fortunately I did already have a diagnosis for a co-morbid condition (anxiety/depression) and was able to be treated for that and remain in military (27 years total). We have diagnosed family members on both my and my wife's side. I'm sure as can be my son is also on the spectrum, but he has done well, also with a military career. There has never been a point where a diagnosis would be useful to me, though at this point I do not hide it from close family members if the subject comes up naturally. For me at least the knowledge and self education is enough. Only if it was important in some tangible way I would pursue it.

It's great to have your feedback and insight at the forum. Being here, really surprised me how non-judgemental this site is.

Hi Anarkitty:) Love the name, btw. I'm not formally diagnosed too and did the same thing, re getting hold of as many books on the subject, that I could. I'm not sure if getting diagnosed is worth it, as it's "very expensive" here too, between $1000 - $2000. I do have Tony Attwood's clinic not too far from where I live though.
I'm interested in your book list. Is it possible you could list them? as I haven't read nearly as many as you and am interested in reading more
I'm close to your age and agree with the whole "not on the radar", when we were young, thing.
I'm struggling with my comorbidities re socializing and getting out of the house, much at all these days.

I also have at least one son on the spectrum (I have 5 sons), none formally diagnosed with autism (yet) but one is not high functioning, he has a intellectual disability to go with his.

All my son's are in their twenties bar one, who is in his early teens. My two daughters show none of the signs and are very social and kind young women.
Anyway, long winded post, this is turning out to be.
Welcome! :)

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. :)

I love you.

LOL! After re-reading my post, I'm guessing you're a Spider-Verse and/or Spider-Man fan for my post to have garnered this level of devotion. I look forward to getting to know you!

There have been times waitresses have put me off eating due to their inexperience or attitude. The fastest way to shut down my appetite and ruin the experience.

I liked your introductory post :)

Thank you. :) The waitress did shut down my appetite though that didn't matter since we didn't actually get to eat. She was literally irrational, and the whole situation was just weird. It was an empty restaurant. The light was too bright by the window, so we wanted a different table. She objected because she was sweeping, in that general area. o_O I've waited tables multiple times, and when people walked into the establishment, the broom went down while I worked on getting bigger tips.

In any case, I've barely thought about it today, which is pretty good for me.

We have diagnosed family members on both my and my wife's side.

It's nice to see other people near my age here. My husband spent just four years in the AF early in our marriage.

Oddly, there's no history of autism in my family. I think my maternal aunt is probably autistic. I take after her more than any other family member, and when we talk, I've realized that the conversations resemble the conversations I have with my oldest son, if that makes sense; we take turns yammering about whatever is interesting to each one of us without doing the small talk thing.

Hi Anarkitty:) Love the name, btw...
I'm interested in your book list. Is it possible you could list them? as I havent read nearly as many as you and am interested in reading more
I'm close to your age and agree with the whole "not on the radar", when we were young, thing.
I'm struggling with my comorbidities re socializing and getting out of the house, much at all these days.

I also have at least one son on the spectrum (I have 5 sons), none formally diagnosed with autism (yet) but one is not high functioning, he has a intellectual disability to go with his. All my son's are in their twenties bar one, who is in his early teens. My two daughters show none of the signs and are very social and kind young women.
Anyway, long winded post, this is turning out to be.
Welcome! :)

Thank you, and I like long winded posts. :) Yes, I'd be happy to list the books at the bottom of this post. I saw that there is a sub-forum about books, and I hope to post some opinions there on the various books I've read, in time.

I struggle with depression, including SAD symptoms, and anxiety/social anxiety.

I've been married for almost 28 years. I have 4 sons and 1 daughter (the youngest), and they range in age from 22 down to almost 8. My husband and second son (and MAYBE our daughter; she's young and we're not sure yet) have ADHD. My other two sons are very NT, though our middle child seems to have many autistic type strengths, like hyper-focus, without any of the deficits. The little jerk. :)

Here's the book list. The ones with the * are in progress, one because it is new and the others because I haven't found them quite as engaging, so I'm reading through them more slowly when I run out of other reading material. The last two on the list are related but not quite like the others. I've also read a handful of fiction books which had autistic protagonists, but I didn't include them. :D But I'll add those if you're interested.

Couple of additional comments: I did not like the one by Rudy Simone though I did finish it. And while I enjoyed Liane Holliday Willey's book, I honestly can't identify with her story as closely as I can with some others, such as Cynthia Kim.
  1. The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome by Tony Attwood
  2. Women and Girls With Autism Spectrum Disorder by Sarah Hendrickx
  3. Aspergirls by Rudy Simone
  4. Asperger’s From the Inside Out by Michael John Carley
  5. Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim
  6. I Think I Might Be Autistic by Cynthia Kim
  7. Pretending to Be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey
  8. The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas by Julia Romp
  9. The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida
  10. Understanding Autism in Adults and Aging Adults by Theresa Regan
  11. * Understanding Autistic Behaviors by Theresa Regan
  12. Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
  13. * Spectrum Women by Barb Cook , Michelle Garnett, et al.
  14. * Everyday Aspergers by Samantha Craft
  15. Asperger’s on the Inside by Michelle Vines
  16. Autism in Heels by Jennifer Cook O’Toole
  17. * Knowing Why by Autistic Self Advocacy Network and Elizabeth Bartmess
  18. NeuroTribes by Steve Silberman
  19. Raising a Sensory Smart Child by by Lindsey Biel , Nancy K. Peske , et al. (pertinent selections)
Edited to correct punctuation. Did I mention that I write grammar books?

Last edited:
LOL! After re-reading my post, I'm guessing you're a Spider-Verse and/or Spider-Man fan for my post to have garnered this level of devotion. I look forward to getting to know you!

Spider-man is cool, I'd like to have sex with him, but I haven't seen that movie. It was actually almost every sentence except that which contributed. Your second paragraph was most awesome. Here are your paragraphs rated in order of most awesome to least awesome, with the least awesome still being a good amount of awesomeness so don't feel bad for those:

Spider-man is cool, I'd like to have sex with him, but I haven't seen that movie. It was actually almost every sentence except that which contributed. Your second paragraph was most awesome. Here are your paragraphs rated in order of most awesome to least awesome, with the least awesome still being a good amount of awesomeness so don't feel bad for those

Now you've done it. I think I may love you, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom