• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interruptions... and general social annoyances

Lifesahaze

I'm really angry... although of course being a good girl I'm holding it in and not showing it. Why do people think it's ok to interrupt you and talk over you? I know if I did it it would start an argument straight away about how rude I am, but it's fine for other people to interrupt.

It's all that social stuff that makes me really, and I mean really, angry. :mad: I'm supposed to listen to other people but they're not interested in going the other way... and I'm supposed to be the one with the problem.

Sorry, rant over. Headphones going on (I'm at work). Aaarrrgh.

It does help if you can do it, to stand and face them and ask them what they want. Seems to refocus the person doing the talking and creating the interruption, it's a little confrontational, but it puts them in their place. You can still be the good girl, but a little scary at the same time.

I HATE getting interrupted!!! This happens to me all the time and I immensely struggle with being assertive. It makes me so mad but I usually end up restarting the original statement I started to make which usually they'll listen to the second time around...and hopefully that makes my point.

I hate being interrupted. My theory is that people yearn so deeply to connect with others that they over communicate by setting aside manors and respect for others, exasburated by their own defensiveness when pointed out to them.

Though now I wonder if it is my vocal tone and lack of vocal inflection and rythm that they perceive as "their turn to speak". I have a deep radio broadcaster type of voice, potentially it is the "how" I use my voice that is not fully capturing their attention.

New Threads

Top Bottom