• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

B1996

Growing up I have myself experienced and seen others in my family experience the impact of restricted interests on family life as such I wanted to find out how caregivers start to widen the restricted interests of their children.

Last edited:
Such a nice research area. I'm interested to see the questionnaire, but if i've no experience in dealing with autism children (if undiagnosed adult, yes), so I'm not supposed to fill it up, right? Anyway, good luck in your research :)

On the surface it sounds like you are trying to drive all the pegs, square or round, through the same square hole. I am not sure 'intervening' in restricted interests would actually be of benefit to the individual. It depends on what exactly you see as negative and would try and change. Having an intense interest in something itself is not necessarily bad. In fact some consider it a valid if not better method in learning. We do not all learn best with one specific method.

The person doing the study and designed the survey has probably been able to accomplish this because she has restricted interest in this subject.

Restricted interests are to be embraced and accommodated for, not to be redirected. Our restricted interests allow some of us to become experts in their field. I will not participate in anything that seeks to deviate us from that which we rely on for comfort and joy. Being neurotypical is not an ambition most of us engage with.

I've always found my family to be pretty accommodating with most of my interests. I enjoy politics and my family has had discussions with me about that.

"If your kid loves trains, fill the room with trains!"

I put it in quotes 'cause maybe it could be one of those famous quotes like, "Let them eat cake!" :D

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I'd like to highlight that I do indeed see many positives in restricted interests, I am simply trying to see whether applications designed using a child's restricted interest may help them become interested in other subjects, or simply just learn more effectively! :)

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I'd like to highlight that I do indeed see many positives in restricted interests, I am simply trying to see whether applications designed using a child's restricted interest may help them become interested in other subjects, or simply just learn more effectively! :)

It's well established that incorporating an autistic child's primary interests (Like quite a number of us, I prefer not to use medicalised terms like "special" and "restrictive") into their learning of other subjects can be a good way of arousing interest in the other subject as a way of supplementing traditional learning.
Using the well worn cliche of an autistic interest in trains, a mathematical angle can be taken using timetables, engine torque and route optimisation for example, or geography can be engaged with by looking at rail systems in foreign countries. Such techniques have been used by parents and enlightened educators since before the spectrum appeared in the diagnostic manual.
It is a very well established educational tool which requires a little imagination from the educator to tailor the approach to the child's individual needs and interests, which is probably why it is not used as often as it could. However much sense there is in taking this approach, the extra work it involves and the imagination required dissuade it's use due to either lack of motivation or time & resources.
Attempts to divert the attention of an autistic away from their primary interests will likely meet resistance and be counterproductive, but a symbiotic, parallel approach can yield significant dividends.

Keep in mind that "restricted interests," looking at the words objectively, as with the majority of traits, symptoms, etc, is something that describes all humans. It would be impossible to be interested in everything, and everyone has a favorite subject in school. The label is just when people have decided, "Whoa, there, that's enough. Most people aren't THAT interested."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom