• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interests on youtube

Shohei79

Do you think autistic people are overrepresented at youtube for example in channels about

*videogames
*boardgames
*books
*philosophy
*painting

There might be more. I just feel connected to many of these youtubers when it comes to the passion for their interest.

Whats your thoughts?

It's a medium that allows people from all backgrounds to make media to share. Which is a positive thing, and of course the autism community and other sectors of society can have a voice and following.

For some reason Youtube has never really appealed to me. I'm an avid collector of music, but the music quality is too low. Popular formats of videos, podcasts and documentaries I often found very generic and formulaic. As with other video based social media, I find so much of it to go beyond infuriating. As in they're red flags for me if people are into such things. Seemingly innocent things to enjoy, but for me it's like a mark on them as a person. Melodramatic I know. I think this opinion will gradually shift, as this new carer job is showing me to appreciate and value people for their differences. But honestly, if you watch stuff like the Real Housewives, or anything of that vapid ilk that exists on social media - I genuinely think that's unacceptable. Influencers is another term and "career" that fills me with worry for society. Truly, it feels like the last days of Rome.

I occasionally watch LA Beast, as his stupidity is endearing, even if a lot of his mannerisms make me cringe. Forgotten Weapons is alright for the occasional videos. His disassembly of weapons and historical knowledge is intriguing. Even though I'm of the firm opinion guns don't belong in the hands of civilians. But that's a hot potato of a topic, and we're all entitled to our own opinions on the matter.

Ed

I dont know that it's really a matter of autism in those mediums, but moreso just... ENTHUSIASM. Autistic or not, those sorts of interests sort of encourage the kind of enthusiasm that drives people to make full-on video essays about a topic.

And someone who isnt ACTUALLY on the spectrum can sometimes perhaps seem like they MIGHT be, based on the sheer intensity of their interest.

Well, that's my take on it anyway. Though in the long run, I dont think it matters too much.

For some reason Youtube has never really appealed to me. I'm an avid collector of music, but the music quality is too low. Popular formats of videos, podcasts and documentaries I often found very generic and formulaic.

The problem with Youtube that a lot of people run into is The Algorithm. If you want to just see what's popular, dont care so much about depth? It's easy. You dont even need an account to find that. But if you're after something more nuanced, less generic? More detailed, more specific? Hoboy. You got your work cut out for you. You have to search, and browse. Like, A LOT. Just one search request aint gonna do it. And you absolutely do need an account, or the system cant work with you.

I can generally find the sorts of things I'm after on Youtube easily... and I *definitely* aint mainstream about most things... but I've also had years of feeding The Algorithm with data, so it's going to spit out what I want more often than not.

I dont know that it's really a matter of autism in those mediums, but moreso just... ENTHUSIASM. Autistic or not, those sorts of interests sort of encourage the kind of enthusiasm that drives people to make full-on video essays about a topic.

And someone who isnt ACTUALLY on the spectrum can sometimes perhaps seem like they MIGHT be, based on the sheer intensity of their interest.

Well, that's my take on it anyway. Though in the long run, I dont think it matters too much.

The problem with Youtube that a lot of people run into is The Algorithm. If you want to just see what's popular, dont care so much about depth? It's easy. You dont even need an account to find that. But if you're after something more nuanced, less generic? More detailed, more specific? Hoboy. You got your work cut out for you. You have to search, and browse. Like, A LOT. Just one search request aint gonna do it. And you absolutely do need an account, or the system cant work with you.

I can generally find the sorts of things I'm after on Youtube easily... and I *definitely* aint mainstream about most things... but I've also had years of feeding The Algorithm with data, so it's going to spit out what I want more often than not.
Thats very true.

It's a medium that allows people from all backgrounds to make media to share. Which is a positive thing, and of course the autism community and other sectors of society can have a voice and following.

For some reason Youtube has never really appealed to me. I'm an avid collector of music, but the music quality is too low. Popular formats of videos, podcasts and documentaries I often found very generic and formulaic. As with other video based social media, I find so much of it to go beyond infuriating. As in they're red flags for me if people are into such things. Seemingly innocent things to enjoy, but for me it's like a mark on them as a person. Melodramatic I know. I think this opinion will gradually shift, as this new carer job is showing me to appreciate and value people for their differences. But honestly, if you watch stuff like the Real Housewives, or anything of that vapid ilk that exists on social media - I genuinely think that's unacceptable. Influencers is another term and "career" that fills me with worry for society. Truly, it feels like the last days of Rome.

I occasionally watch LA Beast, as his stupidity is endearing, even if a lot of his mannerisms make me cringe. Forgotten Weapons is alright for the occasional videos. His disassembly of weapons and historical knowledge is intriguing. Even though I'm of the firm opinion guns don't belong in the hands of civilians. But that's a hot potato of a topic, and we're all entitled to our own opinions on the matter.

Ed
”Influencers is another term and "career" that fills me with worry for society. Truly, it feels like the last days of Rome.”

100% agree.

”Influencers is another term and "career" that fills me with worry for society. Truly, it feels like the last days of Rome.”

100% agree.

Honestly I tend to think that it really depends on the specific nature of what's being done.

A lot of Youtubers... which the word "influencers" can apply to... arent doing the sort of things you might see on, say, Twitter or Tiktok. I would honestly compare them more to traditional "celebrities" or actors like you might find in the movie and TV business. Often, a TON of effort goes into any given video, way more than the viewer thinks. Anyone who thinks being a Youtuber is an easy job clearly doesnt know much about how it often works. This can apply both to the super well-known Youtubers, and also the smaller ones. Unlike more traditional actors/celebrities, most Youtubers do their own editing and such... they dont have giant professional crews to do it for them (and they also dont have crew members whose entire bloody function is JUST catering to every little need of theirs, either).

Now, the sort of junk you're probably thinking of on Twitter or Tiktok can be a very different story. They're usually wobbly, badly edited if at all (at most, they might have some text on it, and that's it, usually badly placed). They clearly have next to no effort in them and tend to be about very stupid/mindless things. Which sorta makes sense for the format, which is super tiny things usually shot with a phone.

Though, even there, there absolutely are exceptions.

Just as an example:

That's less than a minute long, it's done in the same format used on Tiktok, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it took at least a couple of hours to make. And that's using 3D models that the Youtuber herself made to use in her videos (one of which, as far as I can tell, is unique to JUST this short). Animation is bloody difficult, singing well aint easy (and probably needed multiple takes) and of course the already complex animation must be synced with that. No... this would have taken more than just "a couple of hours", when I think about it.

And yes I know that's Youtube, not Tiktok, but the format is the exact same and the derp factor for many of the Shorts you find on there are just as dumb. But also, some of the higher-quality mini-vids, like that one, can be found on Tiktok too.

The problem of course is that the super dumb ones often float to the top, but hey, that's just how it goes with any form of media. You want quality? Your browsing and searching needs to also be of quality. Dont just settle for the first thing you see and go "there's nothing good here".

It's real easy to just assume that something like a job/career in these sorts of things is dumb and easy, but remember, it's very, very easy to have a sort of auto-bias against something that is new and unknown.

New Threads

Top Bottom