• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interesting Situation

AutistAcolyte

I'm in a situation I've never been in! Or at least if I have been I didn't notice...
A friend of mine who is currently working on her post-doctorate came back to stay in Los Angeles for a bit and asked me to come get drinks with her, which we've done before. I didn't realize it, but she told me that this was the second time she's asked me out, and both times she had told me "I was just in the area" or something like that but actually wasn't, she just drove across town to come get drinks. She told me that when we first met she was really attracted to me, but when she found out that she's like 7 years older than I am (we met when I was 24) she thought it was kind of a big age gap. 24/33 is pretty different, but now we're 28/35 and it seems more reasonable. I think she's cool and I enjoy spending time with her, now I guess it's just a matter of returning the favor and asking her out.

My mother had a boyfriend 11 years her junior when she was 30 (and I 10), so 28/35 seems downright typical to me.

Good luck. It sounds like there is a good connection there. I have friends where the wife is 10 years older than the husband, and they make things work. A delightful couple.

"Go for it." - Sylvester Stallone, -"Rocky" 1976.

I also once had a girlfriend who was seven years older than I was. It happens. ;)

Age is not something that I ever paid attention to with adults. It is how one matches up with another emotionally, intellectually, and the interests you share that matter most. If you do not share anything but a physical attraction a relationship has no chance of surviving. Looks generally fade much faster than the intangibles (already mentioned).

My spouse is 11 years younger than I am and we have been wed for over 38 years. This, even though we are not completely compatible and friction does occur, but that is life and everyone must deal with the rough patches that come along at times when any two people interact on a regular basis. That is just being human.

It is all about being open to possibilities and not saying NO because of some artificial construct that acts as an overlay to perception, creating artificial roadblocks in one's head.

New Threads

Top Bottom