• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interaction with a cashier

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I was getting some snacks at a gas stop and the cashier asked me how I was. I replied that I was doing “all right” and he replied he wasn’t feeling good; I can’t exactly recall everything he said because he had a strong Indian accent (he himself told me he was from India) as well as talked very low. I wasn’t sure what to tell him except for “This place doesn’t feel right anymore?” (he was expressing dissatisfaction with his job) and “Best of luck to you.” before I left. Should I have said something else? Does anyone else have a hard time interacting with others due to their accents and voice volume?

I have a very tough time with some accents. I live in a very diverse city and most of the storekeepers are from places like India and West Asia (Middle East). Also there are a large number of Southeast Asians around. Even worse, they have a hard time with my speech impediment and will ask me to repeat myself several times, having thought that I said something bizarre. (One woman at Safeway was convinced I was saying "for speed" instead of "roast beef", and since "speed" is local slang for methamphetamine in my area, you can imagine how well that went over.) As I get older and the number of immigrants from formerly unusual areas of the world increases, we all have a far more difficult time understanding each other. It's frustrating for me and them. I do worry that eventually somebody will react badly due to not understanding me with my speech impediment.

(One woman at Safeway was convinced I was saying "for speed" instead of "roast beef", and since "speed" is local slang for methamphetamine in my area, you can imagine how well that went over.)

I know this is totally insensitive but I can't stop laughing at this scenario ☺☺☺

Today I was grocery shopping and having a harder time focusing than usual on what to get. When I finally got everything I was sure I needed and paid the cashier, she said "Have a nice day". I said, "You're welcome."o_O

I think it was just because they usually say "thank you", and I answer, "You're welcome." I try not to say "Thank you" back to them because I *paid* for the groceries. So it's more like "thanks for nothing".:D

Haha, I usually get responses like that the wrong way around as well. If they're grumpy, I am usually the one walking away saying 'have a nice day' like I am Roland Mcdonald whilst thinking 'I am a nerd'. We are semi programmed by adverts!

I always try to be nice to staff though as it's not them getting my money.

Should I have said something else? Does anyone else have a hard time interacting with others due to their accents and voice volume?
You handled that just fine. Sensitively, I would even say.

Yeah, I sometimes have trouble with accents. Especially customer service on the phone from India or some other country where they speak what they call English, but heavily accented. I have asked them to slow down, and sometimes I have to repeat this request several times before they do. I figure they're in the wrong, not me, since I politely ask them and they don't comply. Of course, it's quite possible they don't understand MY accent! ;)

Last edited:
I have had problems with understanding people with strong accents and dialects for years, but usually I'm afraid to say anything or I'll be totally like Archie Bunker. I'm lucky if I can process or hear what people who don't speak so differently are saying and I'm always asking them to repeat what they said.:(

I still have ptsd from mailwoman thinking im trying to blame her for my money not arriving when neighbour asked me to ask her if her retirement money came and i gave her my name instead of neighbour's bc she asked "name?" and I wasn't sure what that was for. I spent a long time trying to convince her i made a mistake and her not believing me and yelling calling me names and neighbours popping heads and walking out. I eventually left when I saw theres no way to prove myself.

I had another interaction today that’s making me wonder.

I went to Walgreens and picked two Kit Kat Duos bars. The price label stated 2 for $4 but when I brought them to the counter, the cashier asked if I wanted a third Kit Kat because it was, in her words, a “better deal”. I went with it but I am not sure if I should’ve said “No” instead of “Yes”. I spent a dollar more than what I was originally expecting but am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? According to my receipt, the price $1.99 instead of $2.29 for a single item like it said on the shelf label and $5.00 for 3 items. It also said SALE and since Valentine’s Day is nearing, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised?

Dude, I haven't had my coffee yet, don't ask me to do mental arithmetic! LOL

Verdict: Mountain out of a molehill. Let it go.

New Threads

Top Bottom