• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intentions are not enough

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
Intentions are not enough. If it was important to you, you would make the time/effort! You lack motivation.
How do you respond to these? How do you feel?
While I admit that in depression my motivation plummets, generally I'd say I have no lack of it.
I think what catches me out is executive function - or lack thereof. Life gets in the way, and I struggle to turn the desire into actions.
Any thoughts/comments?

Last edited:
From my point of view, intentions are necessary, but not sufficient. I've had to use a number of different daily aids to remember 'it' (whatever 'it' happens to be). From day to day, or even several times a day, 'it' changes identity: I have to distinguish Bright 'n Shiny Object du jour from my priorities. I don't lack for motivation--I'm managing the state of being "re-motivated" continually. Having to pit my brain against advertising and interruptions and still work on decoding social stuff is asking for a lot of work. If I don't want to get blown around like a dandelion gone to seed, I have to find a focus.

I actually find myself stumped when people aren't so focused on wanting something, and thus the notion of "just intentions" doesn't work for me. I run into this issue with a lot of people.

However, here's the funny thing with me. While I really feel that I need to be heavily motivated up to where I'd probably be willing to give my life to achieve my goals, there isn't a lot, if anything at the moment, and that by itself might be a bigger problem. The times I actually wanted something I achieved my goals one way or another (if they were sustainable is another matter, lol)

Perhaps that's what goes for you as well; even if people tell you that you're not properly motivated... one can wonder if you're actually motivated by yourself or just trying to muster some motivation because people put this idea of "you have to do something with your life" on you, and subsequently critique you for not having some mindless zeal to achieve a goal which you don't support in full

When the execution of (seemingly simple) goals is where things fall apart, this can be maddening. Making a meal, taking a daily shower, taking the trash out all seem effortless to someone without glitches in executive function, but for someone challenged, these can be a doozy sometimes. My ability to complete tasks fluctuates. Shutdowns make things more muddied.

Sometimes, things fall apart in the stage right before a process can even be initiated. Aaargghh! :eek: Frustrating-- and embarrassing!

When simple tasks flow smoothly, sometimes more complex tasks, such as filling out paperwork I've been putting off, making a complicated recipe, or anything involving many steps, I simply end up stopped midway, in a haze of confusion.

Lists are my friends, quiet planning sessions rock, and other work-arounds can help. But yes, having a brain that doesn't easily excel at completing goals can be frustrating.

"Intentions are not enough. If it was important to you, you would make the time/effort! You lack motivation."
Yeah, I hear that a lot, too--coupled with "if you could X last time, why can't you do it now?" Well, last time probably the context/environment was different--my ability to focus was different, et. al. Executive function issues may be among the toughest of all when living with someone else. And I agree with what others have said: it has little to nothing to do with motivation.

Aghhh, just took my son with me for a haircut. Both come back frustrated, no haircut, but an appointment that I don't know is even wanted. Now my morning's been ruined. Why does even a haircut have to be so hard? Its not lack of motivation! Life just doesn't seem to flow so easy!

By what measure or who's scale do you lack motivation? The person making these remarks is trying to own the truth. We are all different. If someone is unaccepting of you, fine but that does not justify deficiency on your part.

Clarification: I don't have anyone in mind that has said these things to me recently. But they are concepts that can often come up, if not in performance appraisals, then with motivational speakers and people generally trying to be 'encouraging'. It can result in feelings of guilt or inadequacy.

Similar phrases have driven me for my entire life. Actions speak far louder than words, and I do my best to act whenever necessary.

It is true that intentions are not enough, for not much would ever take place if it were lo, but we need intentions to get things moving.

What life throws at us tends to halt good intentions and throw us off course.

New Threads

Top Bottom