• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intentional VS Unintentional Body Language.

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Body language is made up out of different gestures, some are more intentional than others. I sometimes have to show up on camera for certain projects, and my body language is...well, a bit awkward. Usually I do multiple takes until I think it looks OK.

However, there have been projects where I haven't had time to redo shots. Perhaps I ought to befriend the drama department at my University, if they helped me then maybe my videos would look a bit more natural. :D

Some of my body language is intentional. For instance, usually when I mention writing or painting I mime it out with my hand as if I were doing so. I am fully aware of this and put intentional thought into it. Likewise, I do jazz hands when not being serious and/or sarcastic now and then. I intend to do this most of the time.

However, the vast majority of my gestures have much less thought put into them. Instead, they are more on a subconscious or semi-conscious level. Which can be annoying if you don't fully realise that you're doing what you're doing, when you're trying not to do so on camera. That's my problem.

I had to do a video once in one take due to time constraints. During the recording, I'm shaking one arm up and down a lot. That's a habit of mine. I realise that I'm doing it part way through the recording and quickly grab onto the sheet that I was holding with my other hand. Unfortunately, I couldn't edit that out.

Thankfully, having to do it in one take is a rare occurrence. I do allow for gestures that I would typically edit out in official videos in my bloopers/behind the scenes specials though. For example, there's a scene where I lose my train of thought. I make annoyed noises (uh, ugh) hand flap a little, and grab my back. The last gesture is something I do when I'm quite fittingly keeping a hold of/ holding back my emotions. I'm trying not to get too frustrated in the hopes that I can get back on track fairly soon afterwards.

I have no idea about my body language, but once my ex told the kids that if I were ever to be handcuffed I wouldn't be able to talk. lol

Non-verbal communication, like body language, goes right over my head. That is why I tend to take things that are said to me, literally. Even in my old age, that tendency is still there.

New Threads

Top Bottom