• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intense world theory

If they said to deny us stimulation during infancy they are dead wrong. The article I posted did not believe we should be denied stimulation either but rather stated that in our early development we should not be harshly punished. What I read in the article I posted on intense world theory is a much better explanation of what I experienced. I sensed and felt everything too deeply. I could not endure the pain. I could sense distress and others pain. I tried to numb it for my survival. Retreating into my own world. Initially I did not seem to care about others or need people, but my curiosity got the best of me and I explored contact. I am thankful for my curiosity because I did not seem o have a natural need or desire to be held or interact with others. This may sound conflicting ut then my entire life seems conflicting. Maybe the original reason I avoided people was because I had learned in the womb humans were painful to be around because of all their emotions.

I would think that proponents of the intense world theory would not propose depriving a baby/toddler of the stimuli required to develop normally -- I think the idea would be to watch carefully and try to accomodate any apparent information processing differences whenever possible. (So, if the baby/child screams in agony in loud environments, for example, you would limit their exposure to those environments. If the baby/child is in agony whenever they are dressed in anything but extremely soft cotton, dress them only in extremely soft cotton.....etc.)

Sounds like a theory that only applies to a segment of those with autism, and maybe a small one.

"This does not mean the environment must be impoverished, in fact it should be a rich and diverse environment, but presented in a gentle and predictable way. Great care should be taken since any surprising event could be traumatic and potentially trigger a cascade of development that is difficult to reverse."

I have never heard of the intense world theory, but this is exactly what I thought of autism since I have learned about it, and since I am trying to understand the differences between low and hight functionning autism, in my mind some kids may have more than just autism but also other problem that make then less functionning ( so it isnt "pure" autism) and you can encounter events that litteraly traumatize a baby if he is autistic and hyper sensitive, or may totally miss something in his developpement because he is not sensitive at all to the first stimulus that start the process.

So the idea that an autistic kid needs a "controled" environnement is exactly what I think can help for autism, an environnement where you can protect the kid from things he is hyper sensitive to and introduce things he is hypo sensitive to.

My mother thinks that my social ankwardness and my lack of openness toward others is due to the fact that I didnt go to any nursery and until 2 and a half I was mostly with my parents and grand mother.

But the fact that my environnement was more limited may have saved me from traumatizing events that could have sent me to a non functionning state.

I only skimmed through everything, so my only thought was that I didn't too much like the ideas surrounding intelligence/talent/savants/ability/etc. It's too general and too much focused on superficiality, in my opinion.

The bit about not being able to understand others emotions is a myth. When I was a kid, I would say, mommy, what is wrong? Before she said anything or made any body movements indicating her displeasure. I could just tell by her facial expression. I think as auties we are constantly in fight or flight. We have excessive fear memories and a deficit of reassuring thoughts. 99% of people would say, "Oh, that was just the wind. I am in no danger." I think for HFA, for those who are on the higher functioning side, socialization is key. For instance, I have spent the last month indoors, barely seen anyone. I feel socially inept because I haven't been steeped in socialization. When I was a kid, I was socialized, and I did fine. People thought I was the bees knees. It wasn't until a few years ago, others false perceptions took over actual facts.

New Threads

Top Bottom