• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intellectual people and ASD

It is said that people with ASD are really good at something. Why would ASD make us extremely good at something?
I have heard that it is mostly something "intelectual" that we are supposed to be good at if we have diagnosis such as ASD level 1 or AS. What is this supposed to mean? They say that we do physical stuff in an intelectual way? Well, maybe not always but I am talking about doing tasks. Are we good at being intellectuall (which is not the same as academic of course)?
I am confused! So all the physical tasks we do ate intelectual tasks for us?
Even showing emotions is an intellectual task for us? Perhaps not extreme emotions as it will just come out anyway and in a non-social accepted way, I guess.
I don't remember exactly who said it but I have heard a lot about it and it seems true. People missunderstand me a lot because of this.

There are a lot of different questions in the OP.
  1. Giftedness and ASD-1 are two forms of neuro-diversity.
  2. They both typically feature hyper-focus, which improves a person's expertise in their field of endeavor. (Giftedness just has a little more "horsepower," too.)
  3. Gifteds often develop asynchronously. If they are under-developed in their social skills to a large enough degree, they meet the criteria for ASD-1. That is considered to be "twice exceptional," a.k.a. 2e.

I have a lot of things that I "hyper-focus" on and that I'm really good at.
But I'm definitely not "gifted," and I'm definitely not one of the more intelligent ASD people, either :confused:
I'm ok with that though... I'm a very nice person, so I don't think it matters if I'm super smart or not :) I also don't take myself too seriously so I'm good at making people laugh :)

I think it can be that some are good at one spesific thing. But bad at other things. I suck at many things, things many people easily do. But I`m good at writing song lyrics for some reason. Random guy; Can you write a song about dolphins and cockatoos, Forest Cat?. Me: Done.

But I`m not sure what "physical stuff in an intellectual way" means... Like working smart?
Physical? It could refer to saying something with feeling/emotion or singing Jingle bells. I do all of this in an intellectual way.
Or think intellectually when I practice dancing or baking a cake.
People have told me that I sometimes think too much but at times don't really think at all.

I have a lot of things that I "hyper-focus" on and that I'm really good at.
But I'm definitely not "gifted," and I'm definitely not one of the more intelligent ASD people, either :confused:
I'm ok with that though... I'm a very nice person, so I don't think it matters if I'm super smart or not :) I also don't take myself too seriously so I'm good at making people laugh :)
My gift is probably analysing how people communicate. But I have issues with doing it.myself. I am good at dramaturgy, I think. Is this my gift? Perhaps

Last edited:
@danjustlovescoffee "It is said that people with ASD are really good at something. Why would ASD make us extremely good at something?"

@Crossbreed pretty much summed it up.

More specifically, many folks with ASDs when tested,...whether it be as part of the diagnosis, a research center doing functional MRIs, etc., will find asymmetrical intelligences. This is due to the types of altered neuronal micro anatomy, migrational patterns, and "pruning" that occurs from the first trimester of fetal development through early childhood found in ASDs. There is asymmetry in conductivity (bioelectrical current) and connectivity (thick vs thin pathways). Some also have the "crossover" connections, synesthesia, where for example a name, a number, a letter, may also cause the person to see a color, or smell an odor, etc. Even someone like myself,...nobody particularly special,...when tested found significant asymmetry in verbal problem solving, non-verbal problem solving, and social functioning.

I function at a very high level when it comes to pattern recognition, and my job, in part, includes mechanical ventilator tuning and diagnostics utilizing waveform graphics and trend data interpretation. Other aspects of my job, I am not so good at, though.

So, yes, it can be said that many folks with an ASD will have found, and taken advantage of talents as a result of their unique brain development and hyper-focus,...but certainly not all. Some may have above normal intelligences, but not found ways to take advantage of them. Others, may not have above normal intelligences at all. More recently I think it may be more of a stereotype created by a few notable individuals that have captured media attention over the years and perpetuated by neurotypicals that may not have a full understanding of ASDs. I have only mentioned my diagnosis to a handful of people at work, and if I receive any response at all, it's something like, "Oh, so that's why you're so smart." Which causes me to think, "I don't see myself as particularly intelligent overall,...but if that's your impression of me, I'll go with it." :D

I’m extremely knowledgeable in the subject of music. I taught myself to play quite a few recognizable parts of songs and it might not be perfect in tempo or timing but it’s still good enough to impress people. I also know a lot about fashion dolls and drag performance. I can easily retain trivia facts and do know quite a bit about history. I also know things about different cultures and what they believe in and practice. And I’m not exactly sure how but I am somewhat knowledgeable about ghosts and spirits and how to cleanse your home of any evil spirits that want to bring you harm.

Like with those with no diagnosis they are good at certain things and bad on others.

With us (incl us ASD 3 etc... some of us gets so called gifts from our diagnose and that's what it means with us on the spectrum being better of certain things. for example being able to focus very hard on a particular task or information etc... and being able to keep analyzing this more in depth then perhaps a non-spectrum would be able too. Like your lucky ones with only ASD 1 can for example work very well keep the shelfs perfectly organized in a store and often excels non spectrum people in many difficult high grade intellectual arias both in the job as special interests were we on the spectrum often go in 101 % and learn all about this particular subject.

All this said it's wrong to assume that just because youre on the spectrum you should automatically be able to excel on all this matters tho some have them some others don't and non are the same.

And from what i have understood of this you with ASD 1 / Asperger are more likely to have these capabilities. BUT of course, us others do get lucky and get them as well.

And Forest cat reg youre 0 to 100 Speed and nothing in between that's how ADHD often present itself (wink) (= the Hyper part of ADHD )

Yeah you`re right. But it`s not that I`m hyper I think, it`s more that I either do something 100% or not at all. Like there`s no inbetween setting on me. I have never had anyone call me hyper or wondered if I had ADHD.

Ps: I happened to see that you are from Sweden and I just have to say, how nice to see a Swede here! I know Sweden well, it`s a very nice place.

Ha en trevlig kväll, hälsning från din granne Norge :)
Norge där alla säger koseligt osv. Nej, men det är vad många skämtar om. Jag kan höra Modern i tv-serien Fleksnes fatakiteter använda ordet men å andra sidan var det en komediserie.
Anyway, we really do overthink a lot.

Like with those with no diagnosis they are good at certain things and bad on others.

With us (incl us ASD 3 etc... some of us gets so called gifts from our diagnose and that's what it means with us on the spectrum being better of certain things. for example being able to focus very hard on a particular task or information etc... and being able to keep analyzing this more in depth then perhaps a non-spectrum would be able too. Like your lucky ones with only ASD 1 can for example work very well keep the shelfs perfectly organized in a store and often excels non spectrum people in many difficult high grade intellectual arias both in the job as special interests were we on the spectrum often go in 101 % and learn all about this particular subject.

All this said it's wrong to assume that just because youre on the spectrum you should automatically be able to excel on all this matters tho some have them some others don't and non are the same.

And from what i have understood of this you with ASD 1 / Asperger are more likely to have these capabilities. BUT of course, us others do get lucky and get them as well.

And Forest cat reg youre 0 to 100 Speed and nothing in between that's how ADHD often present itself (wink) (= the Hyper part of ADHD )
But if you are bad at something you must be extremely good at something else..well, that's just wishful thinking.

Another Swede!? :) How nice. Ja vi säger `koselig` lol Jag måste erkänna att `mysigt` är ett bättre ord. Det låter bättre.
Koseligt is such an amazing word. People with ASD can be detailed-oriented. Too much focus on just one word can be a problem even if it is good.to be aware of how Norwegian differs from Swedish. I mean, you don't want to sound like Jon Skolmen in Sällskapsresan. That is not Norwegian.
We must focus on the details but refrain from overfocus on it.

I have been thinking how most people seem to be virtousos (if that is the correct term). The question is: maybe even Bob Dylan is a virtouso? But in what way?

Last edited:
As I have commented previously, because of my intelligence people assumed I was normal. I have assymetry in my abilities, like being poor at maths, generally, but excelling at applied statistics. I think it plays into my strengths of analysis and synthesis. None of this transfers to social skills. Like quite a few here, the social remains a deficit. While I am a good observer, my ability to process social cues is quite slow.

Still, I am proud of achievements in my career due to my cognitive abilities along with overcoming social deficits. What I need now is to allow the positives to overcome the hurt I felt socially.

But if you are bad at something you must be extremely good at something else..well, that's just wishful thinking.

Not necessarly. just because youre might be bad at something don't automatically make you bad on other things & im shore you also have things youre better than others

+ Noone can know and be able to anything

As I have commented previously, because of my intelligence people assumed I was normal. I have assymetry in my abilities, like being poor at maths, generally, but excelling at applied statistics. I think it plays into my strengths of analysis and synthesis. None of this transfers to social skills. Like quite a few here, the social remains a deficit. While I am a good observer, my ability to process social cues is quite slow.
It was sort of like that with me. I struggled with all forms of math and science (geometry and physics being the only exceptions) and yet I did really well in other subjects like history or spelling. I even managed to pass a basic keyboard typing course by not typing the way they told us to do it. The main issue was that I would have outbursts when I got frustrated or upset and no one had really considered that maybe I wasn’t doing purposely for attention. It was even harder for me because my sister was academically gifted and got good grades and went to Harvard while I struggled to get good grades. It always felt like teachers never noticed exactly how hard I tried to prove that I was a good student too and felt like they were judging me for having trouble understanding some things.

Yeah you`re right. But it`s not that I`m hyper I think, it`s more that I either do something 100% or not at all. Like there`s no inbetween setting on me.

I have never had anyone call me hyper or wondered if I had ADHD.

Ps: I happened to see that you are from Sweden and I just have to say, how nice to see a Swede here! I know Sweden well, it`s a very nice place.

Ha en trevlig kväll, hälsning från din granne Norge :)

I never meant to imply you had it. All i said was that for us (me incl) with ADHD we generally have slow or full speed ahead on most things What we also have to keep in mind here is that both ASD as well as ADHD is different between male and female so us females present our diagnosis less outgoing and visible then the males. and again, that's how the hyper works in the ADHD. I also have too speeds slow to a crawl or full speed ahead. (more so when i was younger tho) In no way did i mean to imply you might have it and if it was takend this way please accept my deepest apologies

Ah thank you kindly and i will return this kindness and say

Det är alltid lika trevligt att höra från en granne i vårt kära Skandinavien & jag kan säga detsamma om Norge (smiling )

Ah okey well then that's nothing bad with it either

Jag förstår inga problem trevligt att träffas ändå (smiling )

So it`s still nice to meet me, even if I`m Norwegian? That`s hilarious :) Thank you, nice to meet you too.

Å jag har inga problem med er kära "norrbaggar " eller med våra anndra kära grannar Danskar eller Finnar heller (wink)

Oh, i have no problems with you lovely "Norwegian folks or indeed any of our other dear neighbors the Finns and Danish people (smiling)

It always felt like teachers never noticed exactly how hard I tried to prove that I was a good student too and felt like they were judging me for having trouble understanding some things.
I understand. I never thought teachers were there for help or to facilitate learning, instead I felt that all they did was to make demands and judge me on my performance. Plus with my mental state I never trusted anybody for help. Sad.

I'm good at learning languages. Part of the reason is that I become intensely interested in that language, and that perhaps is due to autism, but there are plenty of non-autistic people who have a similar ability in languages.

New Threads

Top Bottom