• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DissolvedGirl

Hello!

I've been in a relationship for almost 5 years with a very sensitive and special person, who's suffering their own deal of mental issues and accepts me for who I am. However, our relationship has been through a lot of hardships and we've developed some not-too-great dynamics. Mostly, when we fight, I spiral into a crying meltdown and he gets triggered, becoming verbally aggressive and sometimes really mean and insulting. He just can't help it, he obviously feels very bad afterwards and I get it but it's also taken a toll on me. I've always been sensitive about hearing bad stuff, or aggressive tones, and being criticized by the one I love most is always really intense and if I'm not ready it will trigger a meltdown.
But this happens more and more rare and most of the time we're okay. Sometimes he starts the fights, but other times it's just me and my incapability of just being chill about stuff.

When I'm down or anxious I noticed my mind will automatically flee towards him and begin tripping out. I'll suddenly be feeling unwanted, insecure, sometimes trying to get some response from him and making it even worse when I don't get what I expected. I just lose control, I'll send these long explanatory messages if I feel he still doesn't get me, which will sometimes just make matters worse. If he closes his phone for a bit so he can cool off, I'll feel this intense sensations in my body and lots of mixed feelings, he'll really trigger me even though it is the logical thing to do, rather than keep fighting. He always calls back shortly to apologize anyway, but I sometimes get hysterical like it's the end of the world.
Other times I'll wake up in the morning and bam, bad trip regarding something, some fear of mine related to him. He's a very honest person, we've both cheated on each other but he was very quick to admit and we got over all that and deep inside, I know there's absolutely no danger and that he truly loves me and he's devoted and doesn't want someone else.
But my mind still trips out whenever I feel low, and I'm making many efforts to contain it and to not act on my negative impulses. I get jealous and paranoid out of little things, I misunderstand his responses and feel like he's not really getting me, or he's gotten cold, or blah blah, all sorts of things that aren't really true, if anything they have more to do with his mood at the moment, but nothing to do with me.
We live in different cities and we see each other once a week-every two weeks, it's way better than when we used to be together all the time, but still, when I get lonely and insecure I get all needy and want to hear many positive things, want him to be "the voice of reason", but somehow it's never enough, no matter what he says. I eventually get over those moods and feel very ashamed and annoyed that I wasted so much energy out of nothing.

Wow, I never told these things to anyone. I guess my question is, did it happen, throughout relationships, to find your mind being all weird and obsessing over perceived (often times, inexistent) problems with your bae, usually when you have a general bad mood? It's like my mind is searching for the reason it feels bad and it just latches to him, thinking something must be up there. I've always had issues with self-esteem and the dynamic is usually I push-he pulls, so I'm guessing these have an influence as well.

Is it anxiety? Because that was the case with me.

Since self-treating with therapeutic niacin I feel so much better. I can "get on the other side" of such thoughts and quell them, and they do not appear nearly as often.

Since it sounds like you and your partner are successfully working on these issues, I would say the next step is you working on handling the irrational thoughts problem. I have found psychiatric drugs actively harmful and besides: they don't work on me.

In any case, do explore other strategies to find out what works for you. They are symptoms of a problem which can be fixed.

Is it anxiety? Because that was the case with me.

Since self-treating with therapeutic niacin I feel so much better. I can "get on the other side" of such thoughts and quell them, and they do not appear nearly as often.

Since it sounds like you and your partner are successfully working on these issues, I would say the next step is you working on handling the irrational thoughts problem. I have found psychiatric drugs actively harmful and besides: they don't work on me.

In any case, do explore other strategies to find out what works for you. They are symptoms of a problem which can be fixed.

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with anxiety. Meds didn't work for me either. I'm really trying out different strategies but some days nothing seems to work and I'll just feel annoyed that my mind won't leave me alone.

My own researches indicates that proper nutrition, including supplements, can do wonders. Because a lot of mental symptoms have physical causes. I know many people who have found that blood sugar swings, unknown food allergies, lack of good digestion, and simply lacking some common mineral like magnesium cleared up their mood disorders far better than psychiatric drugs.

I always prefer to treat the cause rather than trying to extinguish the symptoms.

My own researches indicates that proper nutrition, including supplements, can do wonders. Because a lot of mental symptoms have physical causes. I know many people who have found that blood sugar swings, unknown food allergies, lack of good digestion, and simply lacking some common mineral like magnesium cleared up their mood disorders far better than psychiatric drugs.

I always prefer to treat the cause rather than trying to extinguish the symptoms.

Very true! I did a lot of research as well regarding all of these. Right now I have some physical issues so I'm sure they're not helping my mind. They're very interconnected and I can see how one strongly influences the other. Thank you for your comments!

Hello
If I may to clarify: you still fight after 5 years of knowing each other, you can't handle peacefully seeing each other once in one-two weeks, you think the problem is totally in you because you can't be chill about being abused (take his agression).
You wrote you express yourself and you are in fear that he STILL misunderstood you.
I know for sure that 'keep shut up and smile' means you are on your own anyway.
I think your solitude and resulting panic attacks are real, they are not 'flicks of your imagination'. You 'bottle up' and then, naturally, you loose it. It's how it works if you're under scrutiny and have to constantly prove being problemless for some ideal person to pay any attention to you at all.
Sorry, it really sounds like unhealthy relationship to me :(
And these can last more than 20 years without real ease and joy of the open and fearless BOTH-WAY spontanious communication.
And what is the point of relationship without them?

Hello
If I may to clarify: you still fight after 5 years of knowing each other, you can't handle peacefully seeing each other once in one-two weeks, you think the problem is totally in you because you can't be chill about being abused (take his agression).
You wrote you express yourself and you are in fear that he STILL misunderstood you.
I know for sure that 'keep shut up and smile' means you are on your own anyway.
I think your solitude and resulting panic attacks are real, they are not 'flicks of your imagination'. You 'bottle up' and then, naturally, you loose it. It's how it works if you're under scrutiny and have to constantly prove being problemless for some ideal person to pay any attention to you at all.
Sorry, it really sounds like unhealthy relationship to me :(
And these can last more than 20 years without real ease and joy of the open and fearless BOTH-WAY spontanious communication.
And what is the point of relationship without them?

Hey. Yes, we still fight, but the fights are very short-lasting and we always get back with each other quick and filled with love.
We can handle seeing each other peacefully, I don't know where you saw that we don't, it's always really great when we meet in person.
Regarding misunderstanding, it's more like I feel misunderstood during the fights but afterwards we always talk things through and the misunderstanding disappears.
I am definitely not shutting up and smiling.
You really misunderstood my message. I really don't have to prove anything to him, he truly loves me and shows it every single day. It's more like I have this deep insecurity that doesn't have to do necessarily with him but manifests itself like that. And I definitely wouldn't use the word "abuse", nobody is being abused, we just have an unhealthy dynamic that many couples struggle with but we've really gotten way better with this.
My main issue was with my oversensitive mind creating issues when there aren't any, feeling stressed that something has changed although things are completely the same and only my mood is the one that's different.

I hope it makes it all clearer now.

I apologize if I misunderstood your situation and I wish you all the best to decide for your own life and for your own peace of mind

New Threads

Top Bottom