• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Information needed.

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
The winter is only starting and I need to get away from it. After having my chest cracked last month I will not be XC-skiing this winter. Anybody know of a warm weather destination with good bicycle trails? I usually ride at least 30 miles a day and enjoy trails with decent lunch stops or interesting places. I'd be willing to drive to trailheads.

Italy!! Alps, Tuscany, Gargano, Puglia, Sardinia...lots of great areas for cycling all around. Interesting historical places available every five miles and marvelous lunch stops at the local trattoria.
But I guess you're looking for something on the other side of the Atlantic, right?

Well, if you are hoping to stay within the U.S., you could come here, to Santa Barbara, CA. We are having some nice weather, with daytime highs in the low to mid 60's, presently. A bit of rain, here and there, but, nothing that would keep you from riding. We have beautiful hiking and biking trails, and you may find other sights, food, culture and whatnot, appealing, as well. I would invite you and wife to stay at my home, but, Im afraid it would be too small. I would be happy to be your tour guide, however.

Spain and Portugal are the warmest places in Europe. Both have very beautiful towns and beachs. Canary Islands are quite warm actually. They also are turistic places.

In America you can come to México, we are plenty of warm places here. Puerto Escondido, in Oaxaca is 28C rigth now.

I have a funny idea that Gerald is thinking more along the lines of southern US rather than international travel, and if there's some local fossil beds even better.

Otherwise I'd seriously recommend my own country.

South Florida is warm and flat.

I don’t cycle, but many people do and I suspect there are Facebook groups.

You can hunt for fossils in the Peace River. You need a permit, but the permit is free. There are some astounding finds from time to time. But I’ve never heard of anyone finding trilobites.

I second Loren's suggestion of Santa Barbara area, and enlarge it to include the coastal area north of it up to Paso Robles. Lots of variable terrain and vegetation, urban and rural, and considerable public lands to explore freely: National Forests, state parks, state beaches, county parks etc. And it has the best weather in the state. Santa Barbara itself often has the warmest winter temps in the state, although eclipsed by Death Valley on a regular basis.
Other snow-free bike destinations are perhaps San Diego and Tucson. Florida's weather seems good if you prefer flatter bicycling?
As for fossils, not aware of any hotbed of activity in the area. Everything west of Elko Nevada is fairly new real estate from crunched up pacific island groups piling up against the older north american plate due to plate tectonics, so no really old fossils. There is the La Brea Tar Pits in nearby Los Angeles which is primarily mammal fossils.

Last edited:
I'd recommend SoCal (Southern California). Lots of trails through beautiful deserts or mountaintop vistas. There's the Pacific Crest Trail running up the entire length of the state, too, although I'm not familiar with their biking rules/restrictions.

Road biking? Although it's restricted, I had friends who still biked a lot at the Joshua Tree Monument.

Or are you into Mountain biking? Check this out:
Mountain Bike Trails near Mount San Jacinto State Park

& I think you can zoom out on the map & find other mountain biking destinations, too.

Good luck! Hope your recovery is swift!

If you want trilobites, go to Buffalo. We used to dig for them at the base of a bridge that spanned the Niagra. I don't know what the access is now. We had a ton of fossils all throughout the western part of the state; it was all exposed by the glaciers. I even know (knew) where there was a gigantic fern-leafed tree in the shale along the shore of Lake Erie. It's been a few years but there were some legal reasons why no one could go dig it up, so it's probably still there. I'm not sure that I've ever seen it, but a geologist with the local university absolutely drooled over it for years. There is a rails-to-trails project started a number of years back--I haven't been back in nearly thirty years, so I can't tell you what's there now--but I suspect you would find some good bike riding there in the summer. And when you're feeling better, we had some of the best skiing ever, both cross-country & downhill. Just, book your reservations early. There's not a lot of hotel availability. (Hotels booked? Try the bed & breakfasts. I think there are a number of them throughout the area.)

I agree with Kemetic, Italy. But going to Italy to do some bicycling is a little over the top. :) I think Loren made Santa Barbara sound very good. And I have heard that it is warm and nice in Florida.

New Threads

Top Bottom