• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Influenced by the weather?

DissolvedGirl

Hello everyone!

Are Aspies more prone to feel effects from weather change? I've always seemed to be especially sensitive about these things, from sudden weather changes to the atmospheric pressure. I have very different amounts of energy depending on the weather. Winter is the toughest, I also usually get a bit depressed because of the lack of light.

It's been cold and raining here for a few days and I'm waking up reaaally anxious.

Can't speak for others, but my mood has always been affected by the weather. Cold and rain really bring me down.
It's one of the reasons I moved to a subtropical climate more than 40 years ago. It's hard to feel down on a mild, sunny perfect day in a beautiful area.

Can't speak for others, but my mood has always been affected by the weather. Cold and rain really bring me down.
It's one of the reasons I moved to a subtropical climate more than 40 years ago. It's hard to feel down on a mild, sunny perfect day in a beautiful area.

Sounds idyllic! I'm also sensitive to heat and I really enjoy rain and snowy winters, it's a bummer my mind always gets gloomy after a while.

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Not in connection to autism though. But many people struggle more with depression when the nights become longer and the temperature dips.

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Not in connection to autism though. But many people struggle more with depression when the nights become longer and the temperature dips.
Yeah, I have suspected I might be suffering for this as well. The worst depressive episodes of my life were always in the winter. Unfortunately my moods also change when the weather changes suddenly or when it rains a lot, the anxiety especially bad.

Yes, gloomy, rainy winter days affect my mood, but I love the peaceful quiet associated with them.
A pressure change can give me a headache.

Yes, gloomy, rainy winter days affect my mood, but I love the peaceful quiet associated with them.
A pressure change can give me a headache.
Yees, I'm really loving the quiet as well! My room is in an attic and I also really enjoy the sounds of the rain hitting the roof and windows. Also, I put let pressure on myself when the weather is bad, I can stay indoors all day without feeling bad about it.

I like weather (slushy rain and ice excepted) and found that weather sensitivity can be connected to one's Vitamin D status.

Here's the scoop from the Vitamin D Council. Following their advice has improved my health greatly!

I live in the Adirondacks, an alpine climate with four distinct seasons, and I love that. I spent ten years in Florida, and was miserable in the heat and humidity. I honestly prefer our gorgeous ADK winters to that. They are actually more comfortable!

adkwinter.JPG

I spent winters on Long Island NY, where the cloud cover moves in around Thanksgiving, and stays until March. While the winters are longer here, I have lots of sunny days, where you can go out with your parka open and sunglasses on.

The dry air does not transmit the cold. The damp winters of Long Island, where the temps hover in the 20's, felt colder than lower temperatures in the mountains.

I like weather (slushy rain and ice excepted) and found that weather sensitivity can be connected to one's Vitamin D status.

Here's the scoop from the Vitamin D Council. Following their advice has improved my health greatly!

I live in the Adirondacks, an alpine climate with four distinct seasons, and I love that. I spent ten years in Florida, and was miserable in the heat and humidity. I honestly prefer our gorgeous ADK winters to that. They are actually more comfortable!

View attachment 44945

I spent winters on Long Island NY, where the cloud cover moves in around Thanksgiving, and stays until March. While the winters are longer here, I have lots of sunny days, where you can go out with your parka open and sunglasses on.

The dry air does not transmit the cold. The damp winters of Long Island, where the temps hover in the 20's, felt colder than lower temperatures in the mountains.

hahah, I feel you. I don't think I would get used to a place without four seasons, although these are turning more into two seasons, climate change :(

Yeah, vitamin D & magnesium are really helpful. Also, as much movement as possible. But sometimes the brain will just get completely depleted and I won't be able to feel the highs either, those are the scariest times.

But sometimes the brain will just get completely depleted

You've nailed it. In fact, I started wondering if my problems weren't due to me "running out of brain chemicals" because I was overusing my brain; constantly juggling strategies to pass as NT.

I started supplementing with pregnenolone. This is like cement at a building site; you can make all kinds of things from it. And as long as we are not supplementing actual hormones, it seems to be self-regulating and safe.

It has transformed me. I was running out of brain chemicals! This supplement creates a stock of supplies so my brain can keep up with the demands life puts on it.

Have had thundershowers for 2 days, I find it weighs on motivation, I also find I get effective when its too cold or too humid, I can take the heat if its not too humid

However, I find when I go to sleep at night I do best when its cold in bedroom

The only thing about the weather that bothers me is the heat. Where I live is a desert in it's natural state, so it is very dry. This makes the heat a little more tolerable, but not much. I do not know how people can live somewhere that is hot and humid. In my old age, I have to hide in the air conditioned house on hot afternoons.

Not really.

Except when it's really warm and I sweat buckets, it kind of kills my hearing aid which is not good.

I prefer less light, keep my curtains drawn all the time and I hate it warm like it is now in the UK, it's partly because I have overactive sweat glands. I'd rather it be literally blizzards than heat like it is now, at least I'd stay in to keep warm, but without expensive air conditioning I can't stay in and be cool in this weather.

Last edited:
I can't stand heat waves. I love rain, but I live in sunny southern California so I don't know what a lot of rain is like. The ideal temperature for me is mid to high 60s during the day and no hotter than 40s during sleep.

The only change I notice is that when it's cool and overcast, I suddenly feel much more relaxed. There have been times when I've been in my cubicle at work with no view of outside, and I noticed that was feeling relaxed, so I checked outside and - yep - it had become overcast.

I fair better in cooler weather.

Uk is hitting 30oC, we’re just not used to it.
(Throw some hot flushes and the reappearance of hay fever into the mix too)
I feel mythered, sweaty and miserable.
I want to sprawl on the floor like my cats and barely move for two hours.

The rain I can do. I enjoy rain.
Added bonus of clueless, fair-weather dog owners staying indoors,
Me and my dog can wander for miles in peace.

Approaching storms mess with my ear drums and it can feel like a vice closing at my temples.

Snow - I am a nine year old again and as giddy as a binking bunny.

I fair better in cooler weather.

Uk is hitting 30oC, we’re just not used to it.
(Throw some hot flushes and the reappearance of hay fever into the mix too)
I feel mythered, sweaty and miserable.
I want to sprawl on the floor like my cats and barely move for two hours.

The rain I can do. I enjoy rain.
Added bonus of clueless, fair-weather dog owners staying indoors,
Me and my dog can wander for miles in peace.

Approaching storms mess with my ear drums and it can feel like a vice closing at my temples.

Snow - I am a nine year old again and as giddy as a binking bunny.

Winner for ''binking'

Rain is a winner. So is walking in peace.

32c in Florida at the moment. Impossible to walk in peace.

Hopefully a storm later.

Hi All!

One thing I've learned over the years is that just about everything is a transition of some sort. Even climbing out of bed in the morning is a transition, as is climbing back in at night.

Some transitions aren't as difficult to deal with while others come with never-ending issues.

I know that when the weather changes from cool to hot I'm all over the place, even to the point of panic attacks - and then I get sick because of the associated anxiety.

I just found out the other day that one of my younger relatives also has heightened anxiety when the weather changes from cool to hot.

Could it possibly be a transition issue?

New Threads

Top Bottom