• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inducing dreams/nightmares

Gritches

The Happy Dog
V.I.P Member
So relatively recently, circumstances led me to sleep for about 3 days straight. During this time, I had such incredible dreams that tapped the purest of my intellect and insight, revealed personal truths, and taught me a lot about myself.

The dreams were so realistic and so vivid, it took me weeks to sort out what was a dream and what was a memory. I dreamed about things I shouldn't even know, that I later fact-checked and turned out to be true and accurate.

I don't know, but I touched a plane of existence there the likes of which I've never experienced, and that's saying something. Some of the dreams were pleasant, and some were so horrible that I spent weeks basically rocking in a corner and assuring myself it wasn't real.

Either way, I want to experience that again. I've been doing everything possible to induce the most vivid dreams possible, but I know I could be doing more. I don't care if they're nightmares, I don't care if they're lucid or not (in fact I would prefer they not be), but I want to visit this plane of existence again, because I believe dreams are the subconscious running free - and I want to know what I'm really made of.

TL;DR: I need to know some herbs, meds, techniques, whatever to induce vivid dreams/nightmares (all legal and readily available of course). I already take melatonin, valerian, and transdermal nicotine, in addition to a few pharmaceuticals which I am prescribed.

I guess my question to a relatively normal and sane person would be: have you taken or done anything that gave you really messed up dreams before? If so, what?

Google "what gives you vivid dreams for list of foods."
also google "what herbs give you vivid dreams"

But worry that this may cause you more problems than benefits.

Google "what gives you vivid dreams for list of foods."
also google "what herbs give you vivid dreams"

But worry that this may cause you more problems than benefits.

I'm kinda looking more for the longshots than what's supposed to give you vivid dreams, in fact I'm more looking for nightmare fuel.

This sounds like a job for ayahuasca.

Ayahuasca - Wikipedia

Also check out this book Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife

It's about near death experience, but very related.

My opinion is a that we should be seeing dreams as a way to understand reality.

Why are we able to create entire world's in our heads and then walk around in them as if they were real? You can't do that when your awake in the same convincing manner, so why when you're asleep?

@Gritches

Vitamin B-6 and Omega 3 Fish oil make for
vivid dreams and enhance ability to remember them.

IDK what you'd have to do to induce "nightmares."
Sit in the corner and think about all the wrong things
that you've done? o_O

@Gritches

Vitamin B-6 and Omega 3 Fish oil make for
vivid dreams and enhance ability to remember them.

IDK what you'd have to do to induce "nightmares."
Sit in the corner and think about all the wrong things
that you've done? o_O

Awesome! Splitting hairs here, but do you know if Omega 3 Krill oil would do the same thing? I just hate the "fish burps" that come with taking fish oil.

Ayahuasca contains DMT.

People often have experience where they get to see the results of their past actions through the eyes of the affected.

It's supposed to be like nothing else.

You can get odourless fish oil that doesnt do that.

I take both, but haven't noticed a dream affect. I have weird dreams anyway though.

Awesome! Splitting hairs here, but do you know if Omega 3 Krill oil would do the same thing? I just hate the "fish burps" that come with taking fish oil.

I don't know.
I have not ever had any krill oil.

The Omega 3 Fish oil that I have are very large,
but actually didn't make for any fish oil burps.

Happy you got to experience this! It's amazing isn't it? Not the bad parts but the alternate reality and time distortions. How real was the experience? What you saw, heard, felt... indistinguishable from physicality? You may have had an out of body experience.:) If not that, a lucid dream for sure.

A dream journal will help develop your memory so packet loss is minimal when you shift back to waking life. As soon as we wake up our memory of the dream starts to get overriden by waking data. (What time is it? Need to take my med. did someone message me? what do i have to do today, etc) Affirm to yourself every night before sleeping "I will remember my dreams in full detail. Wake up and record my dreams immediately." When you do this recall everything you can. Keep a notebook near you. First the contents of the dream / story then go in depth into the experience. How did the sand feel under your feet. Was it hot? cold? Did it feel nice and relaxing? What did you see. How bright or dull were the colors. How well did this dream follow the laws of physics? Could you feel gravity or were you weightless? What could you hear? And so on.

Lucid dreaming - reality testing. 3-12 times a day take a moment and ask yourself in all seriousness. "Am i dreaming?" Look at your hands... look around your environment... look back at your hands... if you still have 5 fingers, no drastic color change, etc you know your awake. the point is this programs your mind to start doing this when you dream. You will be dreaming and then look at your hands, look at your environment then look back at your hands. In dreams your hands will change. Extra or less fingers, different texture or color or hands and so on. This cues you to become conscious within your dream.

This is one of the easiest methods to lucid dream. The more you develop your dream recall the more you will remember feeling, seeing, hearing etc.

As for astral projection there are 100's of methods for getting out of body. These experiences often feel more real than physicality. You can train yourself to do this, I'm living proof of it. It's not just for monks or hollywood. If you're interested in this let me know and will write up some methods and advice for it.

As you said dreams are messages from the subconscious. It's language is imagery and symbols. How it communicates with the conscious mind. You. Astral projection is literally going into your subconscious mind consciously and experiencing it just as you are experiencing waking life now. It's also possible to project in the outer environment. The outer world and the inner.

Last edited:
WTG, Nitro.

I take SuperIomega fish oil everyday as it has lemon in it and no burps. Don't think it does anything for dreaming for me though.

I've just naturally accessed this plane Gritches
is speaking of starting about age 12.
Always a vivid, in colour, lucid, astral plane dreamer.
Yes, I've always loved seeing things I know nothing of in my dream to find it is real and just as I saw it.
Or dream of something that happens in the future.

I rarely have nightmares, but when I do I talk it out with
someone if possible and I start to see what they symbolize about my life. They can be quite informative.

As far as how to induce vivid dreams, I would start by being as aware as possible when going into the sleep state. Guided imagery tapes for relaxation, (a type of hypnotic trance inducing) can help you get into the REM state quickly and deeply.

Have fun. I always have.

I know from personal experience that Sertraline can produce some very strange, vivid dreams.

Have you tried it?
I haven’t. I’m still on the fence as to whether I want to, but the description of what @Gritches experienced sounds so much like what my friends who’ve tried ayahuasca described of their respective trips that I had to mention it.

New Threads

Top Bottom