• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

inbetween?

smnmy

I have a close friend in her 50s who, partly as a result of lockdown conditions (time to think and assess what is important to her) and being in contact with an autistic woman online, has started to think/realise she is neurodivergent. I sent her Samantha Craft's 'checklist' (Females with Aspergers Syndrome Checklist by Samantha Craft) and she recognises a lot of it but only answerered 62% of questions positively (where Craft suggests more than 75% would suggest asperger's). Is there a name for the category of 'mostly autistic' in the autistic community? Or halfway between autistic and NT? She is ok with just identifying as neurodiverse/neurodivergent, and is not seeking a diagnosis, but wants to be able to "locate herself" more directly. Any ideas?

I would suggest she speaks with a therapist/Psychologist that works in the area of Autism. Lists and polls are not meant to diagnose or label people, just give them an idea. If she feels neurodiverse, she can identify in that manner.

Oh and to answer your question, I am not sure if that distinction of limbo exists.

I agree with simply wandering . And i would also like to add i have checked the list and done as asked and i cant say i got even 75 % of those criterias fit on me and im ASD 3 ;) So i wouldn't count to much on that list to be honest. ASD as well as ALL NP diagnosis are highly individual and noone is the same as the other.

As for youre other question i belive that would be PDD NOS

Pervasive developmental disorder - Wikipedia

Last edited:
A real assessment with a neuro-psychologist is imperative. There is no way around it because there are many differential diagnoses.

I have a close friend in her 50s who, partly as a result of lockdown conditions (time to think and assess what is important to her) and being in contact with an autistic woman online, has started to think/realise she is neurodivergent. I sent her Samantha Craft's 'checklist' (Females with Aspergers Syndrome Checklist by Samantha Craft) and she recognises a lot of it but only answerered 62% of questions positively (where Craft suggests more than 75% would suggest asperger's). Is there a name for the category of 'mostly autistic' in the autistic community? Or halfway between autistic and NT? She is ok with just identifying as neurodiverse/neurodivergent, and is not seeking a diagnosis, but wants to be able to "locate herself" more directly. Any ideas?

People with autistic traits who didn't develop an autism spectrum disorder when they were a toddler are considered part of the broader autism phenotype. The phenotype refers to the genetic and neurological aspects of autism. Around 10% of the population are part of the autism phenotype while only 2% (or 20% of those who have the phenotype) have autism.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies everyone - she has no intention of seeking a diagnosis, I was thinking of more community-led language, as in the LGBT+ community where there is a niche for everyone if they want it :).

You can also be in the "grey area" as far as autism goes and many other things. Plus autism is not a "one size fits all" deal. Everyone is different. I thought I was more of a grey zone case, but it turns out I am truly autistic, but pretty highly functioning. It didn't change a thing being diagnosed, but did help me to understand myself better.

People with autistic traits who didn't develop an autism spectrum disorder when they were a toddler are considered part of the broader autism phenotype. The phenotype refers to the genetic and neurological aspects of autism. Around 10% of the population are part of the autism phenotype while only 2% (or 20% of those who have the phenotype) have autism.

That is very interesting. Do you have a link to the source of this info?

New Threads

Top Bottom