• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In-Person Employment Inquiries

Andrew206

Today I went in person with help from a job developer to several stores in my area to inquire about employment. Many of them were very friendly and helpful, and I was able to leave a resume each time. In two of those stores, I filled out an application on site.

If you've tried inquiring about employment in person, what was it like for you?

The two times I tried asking about a job in person, I was not an adult yet, and my mom helped me out... a lot. Anyway, one job I tried out was at the local rock climbing gym. It was busy, crowded, loud, and involved a LOT of social interaction with customers and nervous people climbing up the wall for the first time. I had a couple meltdowns in front of my boss (most embarrassing experiences ever) and eventually realized that I could not handle that much sensory input. I quit that job.

The other job I tried (which I also eventually quit) was at a garden center. My mom asked about employment for me, and then I talked to a manager there. He was very nice, and gave me a phone number. Later, they called, and I went in for a proper interview. Because I am super honest and did not know how to "sell myself" I told them that my last job was a fail, and that I am not very good with people (I didn't know I had autism at the time, but I knew I was lacking in customer relations). But they hired me anyway, and put me in the Annuals greenhouse, where I was put to work watering plants and pricing pots. My boss was very helpful, and slowly increased my responsibility and helped me to help the customers and not be so shy. I eventually quit the job because of autistic burnout, but it was great while I was there.

I'm glad to hear of your positive experience. I've been dipping my toe back into trying to find employment (I've been unemployed for most of my adult life while trying different self-employed ventures) but even though I have some skill, its hard to get a call back from online applications without a "traditional" line of experience, so I may have to go the "old fashioned" route with in-person as well.

Today I went in person with help from a job developer to several stores in my area to inquire about employment. Many of them were very friendly and helpful, and I was able to leave a resume each time. In two of those stores, I filled out an application on site.

If you've tried inquiring about employment in person, what was it like for you?

In person employment inquiries have been successful for me. I’ve been hired 3 times that way, in a veterinary clinic & retail. Each time I presented as ambulatory, neat in appearance, clean, coherent & polite. I carried copies of my resume. The book What Color is Your Parachute? helped me. Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom