• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In an Ideal World....

SliverOfSand

...If you were to tell people you are autistic, how would you want those people to respond?

I think I’d like it if they were genuinely interested in what autism entails. If they were to ask questions with an open mind so that I can explain things to them. And after that initial conversation, that they would treat me normally, but also with understanding if I do end up doing something that doesn’t fit their description of being ‘normal’. Just treat me like a person, and understand that I have problems and difficulties too, they are just different from theirs.

I’m interested to here what your thoughts are.

I do not tell people that I am autistic. It is a pretty sure bet that they can not or will not understand. Need to know basis only.

What would reaction would I like to see ? Understanding! Just think how different our world would be if everyone valued knowledge and at least tried to understand various concepts when they encounter them.

I don't tell people, but if I did, I would want them to just accept it for what it is without judgement, and without doubting the validity of it. Nor would I want a big fuss made of it. Perhaps just say, "Thanks for letting me know" and then carry on as normal, but this time without giving me stange looks if, for example, I cover my ears when a baby starts crying near me.

I wish people would say that autistic people misunderstand everything and that our emotional problems can be overcome by changing our distorted thinking. This sensitivity nonsense where no one wants to speak the truth to avoid offending anyone is really harmful to autistic people.

...If you were to tell people you are autistic, how would you want those people to respond?

I think I’d like it if they were genuinely interested in what autism entails. If they were to ask questions with an open mind so that I can explain things to them. And after that initial conversation, that they would treat me normally, but also with understanding if I do end up doing something that doesn’t fit their description of being ‘normal’. Just treat me like a person, and understand that I have problems and difficulties too, they are just different from theirs.

I’m interested to here what your thoughts are.

Yes I don't tell most people as autism is not well understood. I'd like people to understand the difference between neurology and Psychology for a start, which is a fairly basic part of understanding autism.

Also that everyone is different, autism is hugely varied, probably due to there being all the usual variables in the person, plus that there are so many different genes that might have been involved, think they had over 70 recently, and were still thinking there's more.

This is one reason why I think there's not a lot of point in saying I have it except in special environments like this where many are aware of those basics, as really the variety is so wide we are not really telling the person a lot. I wonder as they research more if they will be able to differentiate more between what various genes do.

I suppose too it would be hard to come out usefully as neurotypical. What does that tell us about the person? Are they independent and transsexual with skills in IT, tennis and singing, and keen on gardening, plus have a career in firefighting? Or are they sensitive, political, female, gay and a professional wrestler? Or, well, so many variations.

I don't tell people, but if I did, I would want them to just accept it for what it is without judgement, and without doubting the validity of it. Nor would I want a big fuss made of it. Perhaps just say, "Thanks for letting me know" and then carry on as normal, but this time without giving me strange looks if, for example, I cover my ears when a baby starts crying near me.

I was about to post the same thing. My preferred reaction would be "Okay," followed by them treating me like a person and not a label.

New Threads

Top Bottom