• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Improvisation

Soleil

I am absolute rubbish at improvisation. My mom wants me to talk to my 10-month old niece so she can learn. That sounds fine, but what do I say? With adults I can answer questions, but she can't do that yet. My mom says it doesn't matter what I say; say anything. But my mind is a blank. I end up just repeating things I've heard my mom say to her.

Photos are kind of the same problem. At my other niece's wedding, mom wanted me in the group photo. "Act like you know them," she says. What does that mean? How should I stand? She has her arm around me, so I put my arm around her in the same way, hoping that this is appropriate.

Same goes if I'm asked to buy something, but am not given specifics. Like, I need to buy some baby food, but I'm not told what kind to get. The food is apparently labelled by how old the baby should be, but that doesn't help choosing a brand or a flavor.

If I don't know specifically what to do, I'm completely lost. Especially with communication. My mind basically just goes blank.

I am absolute rubbish at improvisation. My mom wants me to talk to my 10-month old niece so she can learn. That sounds fine, but what do I say? With adults I can answer questions, but she can't do that yet. My mom says it doesn't matter what I say; say anything. But my mind is a blank. I end up just repeating things I've heard my mom say to her.

Photos are kind of the same problem. At my other niece's wedding, mom wanted me in the group photo. "Act like you know them," she says. What does that mean? How should I stand? She has her arm around me, so I put my arm around her in the same way, hoping that this is appropriate.

Same goes if I'm asked to buy something, but am not given specifics. Like, I need to buy some baby food, but I'm not told what kind to get. The food is apparently labelled by how old the baby should be, but that doesn't help choosing a brand or a flavor.

If I don't know specifically what to do, I'm completely lost. Especially with communication. My mind basically just goes blank.

You could read a baby book to your niece. Or read anything out loud to her because your mom is right that it doesn't really matter what you say to her at this young age. If you have to shop for baby food, get a selection of meats, vegetables and fruits in the little glass jars. Her mom probably has baby cereal on hand to give her. Remember that your niece is not yet able to chew anything so her food must be pureed into a mush.

Photos are just plain old awkward for everyone. Say "cheese" and smile!

I have that problem talking to my grandkids on the phone or video chat. I'm like.........ummmmmm. For a while I started writing down a joke to tell them or things they might enjoy. I have a 7 yr old granddaughter who just likes to make the video calls. She'll call me then set the ipad down. Or she's been here and has made video calls, then hands me the ipad - how nice, the other gramma, the ex daughter in law, the mother of the ex daughter in law. Yes, I've ended up in a video call with all those listed.

I also agree with the not knowing which to buy if not given details or being part of a photo. Also, being with my sister and she decides to stop at her friends house that I don't know. Why would you even do that to someone?

I am absolute rubbish at improvisation. My mom wants me to talk to my 10-month old niece so she can learn. That sounds fine, but what do I say? With adults I can answer questions, but she can't do that yet. My mom says it doesn't matter what I say; say anything. But my mind is a blank.

What Should I Do?
Continue talking to your baby using names as well as repetitive word games, like "This little piggy." Ask your baby to point to familiar objects and ask "Where's the cup?" Or point to a ball and ask "What's that?" Pause before you provide the answer. Soon your baby will be pointing and saying "bah?" as though asking a question.

Labeling objects during the course of the day reinforces the message that everything has its own name. From milk in the morning to a teddy bear at night, naming familiar objects will help your little one learn what they're called and store this information for the day when he or she can form the right words.

Communication and Your 8- to 12-Month-Old (for Parents) - Nemours KidsHealth

What Should I Do?
Continue talking to your baby using names as well as repetitive word games, like "This little piggy." Ask your baby to point to familiar objects and ask "Where's the cup?" Or point to a ball and ask "What's that?" Pause before you provide the answer. Soon your baby will be pointing and saying "bah?" as though asking a question.
She's still too young to ask or answer questions, but she can still learn from my doing it. That's a good suggestion, thanks :)

I liked to sing to my children. You could always do a nursery rhyme or read children's poetry. Youngish children seem to get more out of that than just reading plain text. If you read a story book, do it with lots of inflextion. And use different vocalizations with different characters. Dr. Seus is a good start.

Children are learning to speak long before they actually speak.

The noun game.
Pretty much that which @Mia mentioned above.

All within your home has a name or label. Door, table, chair, ball, carpet, rug, plant, cutting board, cupboard, work surface and so on.
Although you're not forming conversational sentences, your niece may enjoy the variation in syllables and sounds as you both explore the world around her.

Books are great too in that there's no improv' required. They're scripted.
Baby books with bright pictures, lift the flap and simple questions are great to develop curiosity.

Exaggerated or animated narration sometimes holds their attention on the book and specific animals/shapes while they're learning visual discrimination ie,

In that dazzling array of coloured blobs on the pages, the chicken, for example, is always that specific shape and colour and in this book, doesn't change.

Later, when reading the book and you go on to ask "Where is the chicken?" your niece may search for the chicken and point to it.

If your niece is already 'babbling' - Gah-gah-gah, Bah-bah, mamma, Dadah, gah-ba-ee-orr-dah.
practice taking turns, as a prerequisite for the turn taking in later conversation.

Niece may begin with "bah-bah" or similar,
repeat it back to her and wait,
she may reply 'bah-bah or similar.
- with your help she's practising the skills needed for conversation.

If she's mobile and exploring, supervise (keep her safe) and provide a commentary on that which attracts her attention,
let her pick up and manipulate safe/appropriate objects/toys and name them for her, perhaps pausing and waiting incase she attempts to say the name back to you.

Larger objects require her to practise a 'palm grasp' with her hand.

For her 'pincer grip' (thumb and forefinger) she'll require much smaller and finer objects but PLEASE NOTE,
the smaller and finer object present a potential choking hazzard if she has a tendency to put objects in her mouth.

Taking her out in her pram for five minutes and commenting on what she sees or points at - trees, birdies, motorcars, man, woman, doggie/dog, cat and so on.

All in all, I imagine your niece would delight in your engaging with her by any means. Whether or not you plan an activity or make it up as you go along.

Last edited:
Smile, laugh a lot. Make silly fun learning games. Kids aren't judgmental, they don't mind if you repeat things over. They may not answer but you can still ask them questions- what do you think? Did you like the story l read you? Young kids love to finger paint. A box of crayons and paper can be at least 20 mins of fun. Children songs they love to hear. Sing their name to them. Count their fingers. Just have fun, they will respond in their cute kid way. If all else fails, tickles and hugs usually bring laughter- don't forget funny faces. That makes them laugh.

I was once visiting a couple with a 6-month-old boychild. Of course, the child was excitedly making noises. One of the noises he seemed to do a lot was this loud 'chuff" sound. I asked the parents where' he'd got that from and they hadn't a clue. Then the dog came up to the crib and started making the same noise. I knew instantly the kid had learned to mimic the dog before he'd figured out how to mimic humans. The parents must have been opaque not to have noticed.

I was once visiting a couple with a 6-month-old boychild. Of course, the child was excitedly making noises. One of the noises he seemed to do a lot was this loud 'chuff" sound. I asked the parents where' he'd got that from and they hadn't a clue. Then the dog came up to the crib and started making the same noise. I knew instantly the kid had learned to mimic the dog before he'd figured out how to mimic humans. The parents must have been opaque not to have noticed.

As they become more aware of the world around themselves, I believe many babies will mimic that which they see or hear. Human, animal or otherwise.

I've watched one of my own bend forward and lick food from his high chair tray, after watching our cat drink water :)
He can also pick up his dinner fork, stab food and move the whole thing to his mouth when sitting around the dinner table at family dinner time.

He can imitate the dog 'Ahhrooooing' and an emergency service siren along with some english words and nursery rhymes.

The dog once licked rain from the patio door windows, so did the baby :)

It doesn't last. I believe it's just experimenting based on what they see or hear.

Should the baby have ran after the postman and tried to bite him, or started to pee up stationary objects, only then would I have believed we have a problem :)

New Threads

Top Bottom