1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I’m very scared of showing my face.

Discussion in 'PDD-NOS, Social Anxiety and Others' started by Jason O’Donnell, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Jason O’Donnell

Jason O’Donnell New Member

It’s been a bother to me I get anxious when someone makes comments about my appearance even when they're compliments. Do you guys suffer a similar issue?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Jason. I cant say that I recognise myself in the symptoms you describe, but there are many folks on the forum and perhaps someone else will recognise what you describe

• Like Like x 1
  3. Isadoorian

Isadoorian Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Many people have something that makes them anxious. Why it is one thing or another may just be the luck of the die roll.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

I'd rather not have anything said by strangers in public about my looks. Even compliments.
    I feel rather off guard in trying to think of a response. Usually it is just a thank you.
    Tonight this happened at WaWa when getting coffee and a donut.
    The young man at the cash register said he liked my necklace, (a spider), even though he was
    afraid of spiders.
    I automatically said Thanks, but it reminded me of my feelings and I told him I was the same.
    Afraid of spiders yet I have a fetish about collecting all things spiders that I find.
    Necklaces, trinkets, toys, real ones in acrylic,etc.

Yeah, he gave me a funny look. Oh, well.
    Made me think of another odd thing I like to collect: Skulls. Sugar skulls, macabre skulls, clothing with them
    printed on the fabric, etc. Don't know why.

I am used to getting compliments on my hair all the time. So I'm used to that and say Thank you.
    I keep it a rather copperish ombre red, shoulder length and straight. People seem to really like it.
    Guess I'm just strange.
    xmas2019 008.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Hi Jason, welcome. Yes I would have felt like that at your age, definitely. And I thought of it as shyness, people didn’t understand about autistic traits or Aspergers being a factor, back then. So I coped as best I could, but I was usually able to make a friend or 2, enough to get by. I did a lot of therapy on and off, and that was helpful, I met a lot of nice people in therapy groups and did useful work on myself.

Knowing about autistic traits or Aspergers has been helpful to me in developing more strategies. You are at quite a full on time of life, so this is an important issue for you. I hope you find useful support here, it's a friendly place.

:spiralshell::spoutingwhale::whale::dolphin::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::whale::dolphin::spiralshell:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

I don't know if it would change with age or without experience I used to feel the same way as you you for some reason no it's just meaningless it could be to do with panic disorder I would still swap not having panic disorder in a heartbeat

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

I have life-size, plastic replicas of a skull, a skeletal hand, foot & 1:6 scale skeleton, but I have them for the medical study side of figure drawing. (The skull even came with drill-able/fill-able teeth for dentists to practice on.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

I stopped wearing shirts with anything on them because of this, to avoid compliments for my shirts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

I hated myself for a long time, think it's due to emotional neglect. My parents did a great number on my head. Now in this old age, l find peace now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Mindf'Elle'ness

Mindf'Elle'ness Peace and passion for ALL

I don't think this is related to Aspergers. I hear a lot of people don't know how to take a compliment and the suggestion is always the same...just say thank you and move on. No need for any drama.

Also, aspies need to try to stand out in the crowd a little because it provides us an opportunity to connect with people in a positive and casual way. A great t-shirt connects us to like minded people, for instance. Think of compliments as a way to be acknowledged by society.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

I find as l age, l don't want to stand out, l like to roll out, zip thru, get my errands done and zip back home and contemplate the weather or something else totally mundane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1