• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm very child like

Wanderinginthewoods

"Always love who you are as a person."
Many people always ask me how old I am. Even when first meeting me and think I'm younger than I am. I'm in my mid 30s and they can't believe that. I've always been very child like, shy and I'm nervous around my own age group because I fear what they'll say about me. Deep down I know I shouldn't worry so much but it still does bug me. Whenever I'm not around I've had friends make fun of me and talk behind my back so it takes awhile before I can trust people.

Love stuffed animals, toys, video games, Spiderman, anime, manga and hello kitty. These things I loved over the past few years and give me comfort. I've noticed this and was wondering if anyone relates?

I'm tired of others judging me but I know this is beyond my control.

I am 47 and soon in Decemeber to be 48 sadly and only in the last few years have I actually felt at least, partially an adult and getting involved in accounts has really helped me feel that I am an adult.

I am told I do not look my age either and actually I love that, because as one gets older, it is very nice to be told you look a lot younger; whereas when I was a child and teen, I absolutely hated looking younger.

I think those who are my age, would consider me to be child like, because of how I react when happy or when upset, which is not considered very mature.

Yes, it would be rather lovely to not be judged, but sadly, it is not just aspies who are judged.

It's just part of you. People have to either accept it or leave. Let others be the 'big grown-ups'. I think that the world itself already feels too old and some 'childish' innocence is needed in all the profit-seeking.

I love stuffed animals, especially my Rabbit, toys to look or play with, video games, Spiderman, anime, manga and My Little Pony. So? That's just who I am. Being a 'mature adult' is overrated anyway.

Don't worry about it. It's you and your likes. They give you comfort, so keep with them. Yes, it would be nice not to be judged but people always had and always will judge.

By the way, it's rather interesting that we're called childish because of our likes while most of the time others are the first to start 'name-calling' and 'bullying'.

Many people always ask me how old I am. Even when first meeting me and think I'm younger than I am. I'm in my mid 30s and they can't believe that. I've always been very child like, shy and I'm nervous around my own age group because I fear what they'll say about me. Deep down I know I shouldn't worry so much but it still does bug me. Whenever I'm not around I've had friends make fun of me and talk behind my back so it takes awhile before I can trust people.

Love stuffed animals, toys, video games, Spiderman, anime, manga and hello kitty. These things I loved over the past few years and give me comfort. I've noticed this and was wondering if anyone relates?

I'm tired of others judging me but I know this is beyond my control.
People think I'm 12 and I'm nearly 18.

I have a baby face apparently. I still have dolls and toys, watching Kids TV (but I also watch adult TV), read kids books etc and in a lo of ways I am still a child as I need help organising myself and nee constant support.

I'm learning to be okay with it although I wish people would treat me my age.

IMG_0895.PNG

I really didn't start "growing up" until after I turned 30. At 28-29 I was still very much the angry, antisocial teenage boy that years of bullying at school and home had made.

My dad always was mad at me because I "talked too much" which to him meant that I was incapable of interacting with people in the way that he saw fit. He kept telling me to lie about stuff he'd done which I had a hard time doing. Even when I was in my 20s he'd smack me for "talking too much".

After I turned 30 and my schooling was largely over and I started trying to join the "adult world" and make a living did things get better.

Ironically my mom and dad opposed every single attempt I made to become an adult, the only thing they would say is "get a job already, pound the pavement, hand out your resume to every store in the mall, just do it!" They didn't seem to realize that by 2006 the world had changed and if you showed up at a store with your resume they'd simply tell you to "apply online" meaning go away and don't bug us.

My parents were constantly saying I couldn't run a business, I couldn't do anything. They thought that I was only suited for menial work, the kind of stuff that illegal immigrants do today. But I tried it anyway, and even though I failed it made me a better person.

Very much so here, too. Old soul, young body, aged mind............very much a paradox to me and anyone else.

Yes. I'm 36 and everyone keeps telling me I'm 16 - like I don't know my own age.
They refuse to believe it. I stopped telling people my age cos I can't be bothered having the same conversation about it. My business partner loves telling people to shock them.

I know I don't look like other women my age. I know that I have a youthfulness about me and I think it's Aspie innocence and childlike wonder. I have not been jaded by life despite being kicked harder than most (like all ASD I suspect). I still see the beauty in nature and find the future promising. I also quietly try to make the here and now as happy and positive as I can (without being one of those dolts that bang on about inner peace ... blah .. blah..)

I still have my childhood books and toys and love them the same as I did back then. I still watch Saturday morning cartoons in my pjs eating pancakes :p I mean... if you can, why wouldn't you?

I know that I have a youthfulness about me and I think it's Aspie innocence and childlike wonder. I have not been jaded by life despite being kicked harder than most (like all ASD I suspect). I still see the beauty in nature and find the future promising.
I think it is the child like inner wonder and innocence, too.
It affects how the body looks along with your actions.
I still have my stuffed toys,(love Hello Kitty items!), my rock collection, I like cartoons for fun, find wonder in nature and animals. I have female Peter Pan syndrome I think, (if there is such a thing.)

My inner child spirit has never been broken. Again, the only thing that has been making me feel down and what I think a mature adult should act like is my partner who criticizes the way I think, act or things I say. Tells me to 'grow up'! That only makes me feel suffocated. And my body has shown a bit of aging and ill health due to it also.
But, I am finding more peace with myself despite the put downs. If he kicks me out on the street tomorrow, I feel more confident that I could make it now, than I did a year ago.

I'm 31 and this is pretty much me too. I can be an adult if I need to be, for example - my sister and her boyfriend of 11 years have just broken up. They split last Thursday and he had literally moved all of his stuff out by the end of Saturday. So she's now left having to try to move all the bills and stuff to her name, as everything was in his name and she just paid him half every month. She has no idea what she's doing because she just left it all to him (stupidly). She wants me to help her with everything and I know full well that this is something I can do..so when it comes down to it I can be an adult, but probably only in this situation because I know my sister needs help and obviously I'll do everything I can. (My parents would have done this I think, but they're on holiday in Australia and she doesn't want them to know til they get back, as she knows they'll worry.) My point is that there are probably times or situations in which you are very much an adult too.

I love stuffed animals (I have loads), video games, Hello Kitty, some anime and manga, Lego, board games, cartoons and the list goes on and on. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can find other people who are into the same stuff as you.

Whenever I'm not around I've had friends make fun of me and talk behind my back so it takes awhile before I can trust people.

I've had this happen many times, and a couple of times it took me a long time to realise that this isn't how friends are supposed to treat each other. When I did, I distanced myself from those people, and found people who are truly friends.

I love stuffed animals (I have loads), video games, Hello Kitty, some anime and manga, Lego, board games, cartoons and the list goes on and on. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, especially if you can find other people who are into the same stuff as you.

Yes Legos! Oh I quite like legos! I had an obsession a year ago or so with the tiny ones. Sooo much fun, just a bit expensive lol.

But yes I agree also, many 'childlike' or 'childish' interests. Growing up I tried more to follow the 'rules' of social stuff to fit in because I wanted a friend but once I went off to college and realized there are just tons of people out there and it doesn't really matter. Well it doesn't matter because there are others who like what I do also and it's not a problem. I mean sure some people will judge. So what?

When bf and I first moved in together I realized I didn't have to decorate 'adultlike' but instead we put star wars posters and other fun stuff up. If people didn't like it or judge when they visited then that was on them. We liked it and since we lived there that's all that mattered lol. My family pretty much already knew I was different and just kinda accepted it. My youngest brother thought it was super cool lol.

When bf and I first moved in together I realized I didn't have to decorate 'adultlike' but instead we put star wars posters and other fun stuff up.

Our house has all kinds of posters. The cupboard at the top of the stairs is painted with the Triforce from Zelda :p

I'm 25 and I still love stuffed animals/toys, cartoons and animated movies. I'm much happier enjoying the things I enjoy and not caring what other people think of it - although I know how difficult that can be to ignore. I actually feel kind of bad for people who look down on/make fun of/judge those of us who love fun and whimsical things - I just feel like they must be pretty unhappy people.

in my university I am called a "branch of a kindergarten" and sometimes they treat me like a child and consider some of my oddities as cute. my groupmates give me cute things that usually give to small children (for example, a friendship bracelet, candy, toys) and I am happy with these things. I'm naive as a child. although in my childhood I was annoyed when I was given such things and when someone spoke to me kindly, because I felt humiliated and thought that I was considered stupid. now I see that all aspies like me are not only in 20 but also in 30 and 40 years. we are all life like that. we are childish and simple and at the same time very smart and maybe genious. (it does not sound arrogant? I hope not)

in my university I am called a "branch of a kindergarten" and sometimes they treat me like a child and consider some of my oddities as cute. my groupmates give me cute things that usually give to small children (for example, a friendship bracelet, candy, toys) and I am happy with these things. I'm naive as a child. although in my childhood I was annoyed when I was given such things and when someone spoke to me kindly, because I felt humiliated and thought that I was considered stupid. now I see that all aspies like me are not only in 20 but also in 30 and 40 years. we are all life like that. we are childish and simple and at the same time very smart and maybe genious. (it does not sound arrogant? I hope not)

Yes many of my teachers always told my mother that I had a hard time processing things and even when speaking I had trouble and went to a speech therapist. Sometimes I still often had a hard time saying certain words that was hard for me, it was always to the way it sounded. I'd often had to say it a bunch of times before I got it. Many adults would speak to me as I was stupid and slow and my feelings would get hurt because I'd never do that to anyone else.

I had a hard time making friends due to trust and being bullied. Once I went to school and wore socks with these sandals. My feet were killing me, so I just ended up not wearing them anymore. Now I usually shop online and just look at the picture of the shirt I'm buying or skirt, than I ask someone if these sandals would be good or shoes. I love asking people's opinion. Now I have the fashion bit down in order from asking questions and learning from others. I get things overtime but I don't often get it the first time I'm learning a new subject or topic. I normally have to ask questions before I understand it.

There's subjects I'm great at though and many people have told me that I'm intelligent young lady. I'm not used to being called that, so I simply say "Thank you."

New Threads

Top Bottom