• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm Obsessed With Yugoslavia and the Wars

ryan1205

Mr. I Don't Know
V.I.P Member
I don't know why I am. Yugoslavia was a unique former country in Europe. They were communist but defied the Soviet Union. Tito was considered one of the best and benevolent dictators of the Cold War. He promoted Unity of all ethnic groups of Yugoslavia. Even crushing nationalist movement that arise of those ethnic groups.

But what interests me about Yugoslavia is the fall of Yugoslavia and the rise of nationalism after Tito's death, and the wars that followed. Croatia, where I have ancestry from, wanted to be independent from the Serbian dominant Yugoslav government. Their independence turned into a war in Croatia. Bosnia too. They had the most deadliest war among all the wars that happened in the former Yugoslavia. In Bosnia, the first genocide in Europe was committed since the Holocaust. I don't want to start a storm on who did what. All sides committed atrocities.

What fascinates me the most is the music that was made during the wars.
-Roki Vulovic (Serb)
-Baja Mali Knindza (Serb)
-Thompson Maksimir (Croat)
-Lepi Mica (Serb)

And the list goes on.

These songs showed a sense of pride of their heritage, something most Americans (I'm American) don't have nowadays.

I don't know if I am allowed to link some songs from YouTube to this post. But if I can, please check them out. They have English subtitles.

(The only one of Lepi Mica I could find)
(My favorite Roki Vulovic song)
(My favorite!)
(I like this song, please forgive its lyrics)
(Another favorite!)
Crni Bombarder
(About the 1999 NATO Bombing of Yugoslavia)
Bosanska Artiljerija
(The only Bosniak one I could find that wasn't about religion)
Arkanove Delije
(This one is about the Serbian Volunteer Guard)
General Ratko Mladić
(About General Ratko Mladic)
Oj Alija, Aljo!
(Again, please forgive its lyrics)

There is many more on this guys channel. I don't want to list them all.

Yugoslavia is a very interesting former country and area of Europe. World War I started there and is the most diverse region of Europe. I am so fascinated by its culture and its people. I really would love to visit Croatia, Serbia and especially Bosnia.

Last edited:
Interesting topic to be fascinated on. I did World War 1 in History for my GCSEs so I remember a bit about how it started with the murder of Franz Ferdinand and The Black Hand.

Yes, these areas that have had a troubled time are incredibly interesting and the images you see are haunting. I saw a bit of a film about a British UN Peacekeeper who went over there who suffered PTSD from what he saw during an RE lesson at school, I'd love to know the name of it. Truth is, I haven't searched for it much. A line haunts me from it, the guy is shouting at a person in the supermarket who found him weird, he says, "I've seen people on fire!". Must have been so hard to try to - not forget - but put these sorts of mental images to one side and try to get on with life after coming back. Not to detract from what civilians with PTSD suffer from but its got to be really traumatic what military personnel go through in wars.

Interesting topic to be fascinated on. I did World War 1 in History for my GCSEs so I remember a bit about how it started with the murder of Franz Ferdinand and The Black Hand.

Yes, these areas that have had a troubled time are incredibly interesting and the images you see are haunting. I saw a bit of a film about a British UN Peacekeeper who went over there who suffered PTSD from what he saw during an RE lesson at school, I'd love to know the name of it. Truth is, I haven't searched for it much. A line haunts me from it, the guy is shouting at a person in the supermarket who found him weird, he says, "I've seen people on fire!". Must have been so hard to try to - not forget - but put these sorts of mental images to one side and try to get on with life after coming back. Not to detract from what civilians with PTSD suffer from but its got to be really traumatic what military personnel go through in wars.

The UN peacekeepers where targeted, especially in Bosnia. Some Bosnian Serbs took prisoners of some UN peacekeepers and used them as human shields so NATO wouldn't bomb them. And some UN peacekeepers did nothing to stop the genocide that was committed in Srebrenica. There is footage of UN peacekeepers in Sarajevo being fired upon by snipers. I guess that is why some of them now have PTSD. The Bosnian war was the worst war in Europe since World War II.

Those of us who tend to have obsessions have the potential to accomplish so much with them. I have gone through a string of obsessions since early childhood, a lot of them, like yours, historical or ancestral in nature, and they really have provided a lot of material that enriches my career and adult activities now. Enjoy it, and keep up the good work. I really do consider this to be one of the gifts that autism sometimes gives us.

For my International Relations class in college we had to write a research paper about a particular nation. I chose Yugoslavia. This was back in the 70s when Josip Broz Tito still ran the country and held it together.

I even predicted its eventual outcome as the result of the death of Tito, with the country fragmenting along ethnic lines. I suppose in hindsight it wasn't any real revelation. Just a war waiting to happen, and it did.

That most "polyglot empires" are held together only with ruthless oppression, and that they don't efficiently work, or last in modern times.

WOW :)
I'm the child of Yugoslavia, born in Kragujevac, the city in the center of Serbia.
BUT I don't agree with Ryan, all those videos he gave are related with nationalism and I don't like them at all.
Let me tell you all about my late and beloved country, I shall give you links
1. Sarajevo Olympics 1984
2. Yu Rock Mission - Yugoslavian contribution from Live AId 1985
3. Tito - a great president
3. Tito's funeral 1980 - one of guests was Margaret Thatcher
4. Assassination Of Yugoslav King Alexander (1934)
5. Yugoslavia - World Champion in Basketball 1990
Yugoslavia.USA.99.91.August17th.1990.Worldchampion
6. One and only mass demonstration against Adolf Hitler in Europe and Nazi brutal revenge with a heavy bombing
Invasion of Yugoslavia [Every Day]

The kids of Yugoslavia

I'm one of them, but some are or were extra famous

1. Melania Trump, the first lady of USA, born in Slovenia, which was most developed republic in Yugoslav federation. Well done Melania, you are real winner :)

2. Rade Šerbedžija, one of greatest actors in Yugoslavia,born in Croatia, Serb by nationality, Dr. Nekhorvich in Mission Impossible 2, Prince Kuragin in Downton Abbey, also great poetist and musician.

3. Monika Seleš, one of greatest female tennis players in the world ever, born in Novi Sad, in Serbian province Vojvodina, she is Hungarian by nationality.

4. Goran Višnjić, the great actor, born in Croatia, there are many roles he played, but as Niko Lonza, Yugoslav sexy diplomat, he is so powerfull.

5. Emir Kusturica, an extraordinary movie director, Time of the Gypsies, Underground, 2 times took Palme d'Or in Cannes. His Arizona dream movie is unique, it was one of first steps in Johnny Depp's career.

6. Vlade Divac, one of best basketball players in Yugoslavia, NBA legend.
Tribute to Vlade Divac Basketball Career
7. Tomislav Milićević, an excellent guitarist of 30 seconds to Mars, born in Sarajevo, Bosna and Hercegovina.
Thirty Seconds To Mars - Up In The Air

8. Nemanja Vidić, Manchester United ex-captain, born in Užice, Serbia. Before Manchester United, he played for Red Star Belgrade, the team who was the winner of European Champion League in 1991,I'm Red Star fan too :)
Nemanja Vidic - Memorable Moments - Manchester United

9. Stefan Milenković, a famous violinist, born in Belgrade,Yugoslavia capitol. Ronald Reagan enjoyed in his performance
Stefan Milenkovich in White House with Ronald Reagan

10. Dragan Nikolić, one of best Yugoslav actors, he died this year, here francophone users knows him from Place Vendome movie with Catherine Deneuve. If you want know more about Yugoslavia, movie Nešto između(Something beetween) is a good choice, Dragan Nikolić has a good role here.
Nešto između

There are many people can be added, for instance I was thought to add Zlatan Ibrahimović, but he is born in Sweden, even both his parents were Yugoslav citizens. Or Novak Đoković, but he is more connected with new Serbia era.
I avoided to put war criminals, they don't deserve to be noticed.

Don't forget the Australian transgender supermodel Andrej(a) Pejic, born in Bosnia.
She is stunning and tough, one of my fictional character is inspired by her.

I live in Croatia, but luckily born in 2004, so I don't remember the war. You probably know more about war than me because history dosen't interest me.

New Threads

Top Bottom