• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

I am new to the forum. I discovered it while searching the internet to see if some of my "quirks" are just autistic traits. Specifically, when I get overwhelmed, I have a tendency to shut down or freeze. Such as when I feel like I cannot speak. The thoughts and answers to people's questions are there, but it's like my mouth muscles do not want to express what my mind is processing. Or when I've been in abusive/ trauma inducing situations that have led to me freezing and not saying anything and being hurt by people. While Bing-ing, I found this forum discussing their own moments of muteness.

Anyway, this forum seems potentially fun.

I was recently officially diagnosed with ASD and I am still coming to terms with all the adjustments I've had to make throughout my childhood and adult life to better suit other people's seemingly nonsensical feelings.

I work in the mental health field and am studying to eventually reach my PsyD (this is my last semester before receiving my AA and transferring to a Uni). and I love octopuses.

Thank you, all, for existing.

What are your favorite animals and why?

I love octopuses because they are highly intelligent and have developed an advanced nervous system highly divergent from most (known) highly intelligent life on Earth. According to what we know about intelligence, they are an anomaly with regard to their mental capabilities. They are known to be "anti-social" and sensitive to their surroundings. It is a struggle for humans to see outside of themselves, which is why it has been so difficult for researchers to truly understand animals' intelligences. The same way that they have been clouded by their own preconceived notions regarding Autism (in POC and/or females, specifically), they have been struggling to understand Cephalopods and other animals in general.

I draw octopi in a lot of my pictures.

WelcometoHellOldManAdf_43052202-2eaa-4259-8a36-11570cb48e29_740x.png

MolluscMaintenance_4a4b119c-6180-4107-ba54-4b6339cce9f0_540x.png

I really like opossums. There's also a lot of memes of them about and they relate to mental health struggles

217184341_399354818240210_1847631845465121476_n.png

188136693_186701406654977_4608072325346332625_n.jpg

194878743_323461272473323_381910145793085445_n.jpg

243130173_398465381639578_2201484674131368389_n.jpg

254892492_420014172866694_1559955844609630267_n.png

FB_IMG_1629898759476.jpg

Ed

Hi and welcome

This guy/girl is almost unbearably cute. The little I have learned suggests they are a most amazing and intelligent group of animals.

111.jpg

Welcome! Octopuses are my favourite animals as well, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. In addition, they are hugely varied, some of them have the best camouflage in the animal kingdom and are both curious and playful, despite growing up isolated. I also think they are quite cute and look way cooler than dolphins and other more well regarded sea creatures.

I like cephalopods. not only do I enjoy observing them while diving, but I have collected fossils of them. The Ammonites of the Cretaceous seas are particularly beautiful. Encounters that were good were things like coming across a Flamboyant Cuttlefish that was displaying bands of color travelling from head to tail and later watching a Blue Ringed Octopus warning us of its toxicity by flashing its blue rings in display. I sorta lost my taste for calamari when once on my decompression stop I had several reef squid hovering in front of my mask looking at me. I would turn my head and they followed along. I wanted to see a mimic octopus when I was muck diving in the Lembeh Strait, but did not come across one.

Welcome, @Octopodes'MentalHealth
I’m on the cuttlefish team! Fascinating, intriguing little creatures. Other cephalopods are great too. Animals in general are wonderfully interesting.

1660774135226.jpeg

Welcome! :)

I love octopuses and cuttlefish too! I love sea creatures.

I love pretty much all animals, but my favorite are dogs. If you stick around here, this will become very obvious. Lol
Dogs are my favorite because they are my best friends. We love each other unconditionally.

And as a female and a POC, I can relate to what you have said here.

Welcome!

I like tortoises. They remind me of myself - a bit different from the rest of the animals, but as Aesop's fable goes, full of spirit and determination to persevere, even if disadvantaged from the start.

Welcome!!
I love octopi as well, they're such funny little guys, you know?
Except for the highly toxic Blue Ringed Octopus. I don't think that there is anything to be done for a person if it injects its neurotoxin. At first you think it a nice polka-dotted octopus, then it starts to flash blue at the periphery of those dots, making beautiful blue rings. It is a clear warning. Thank goodness it is not aggressive.

Hello

I am new to the forum. I discovered it while searching the internet to see if some of my "quirks" are just autistic traits. Specifically, when I get overwhelmed, I have a tendency to shut down or freeze. Such as when I feel like I cannot speak. The thoughts and answers to people's questions are there, but it's like my mouth muscles do not want to express what my mind is processing. Or when I've been in abusive/ trauma inducing situations that have led to me freezing and not saying anything and being hurt by people. While Bing-ing, I found this forum discussing their own moments of muteness.

Anyway, this forum seems potentially fun.

I was recently officially diagnosed with ASD and I am still coming to terms with all the adjustments I've had to make throughout my childhood and adult life to better suit other people's seemingly nonsensical feelings.

I work in the mental health field and am studying to eventually reach my PsyD (this is my last semester before receiving my AA and transferring to a Uni). and I love octopuses.

Thank you, all, for existing.

What are your favorite animals and why?

I love octopuses because they are highly intelligent and have developed an advanced nervous system highly divergent from most (known) highly intelligent life on Earth. According to what we know about intelligence, they are an anomaly with regard to their mental capabilities. They are known to be "anti-social" and sensitive to their surroundings. It is a struggle for humans to see outside of themselves, which is why it has been so difficult for researchers to truly understand animals' intelligences. The same way that they have been clouded by their own preconceived notions regarding Autism (in POC and/or females, specifically), they have been struggling to understand Cephalopods and other animals in general.
I like octopi as well! Mostly thanks to the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

My other favourite animals include bumble-bees, jumping spiders, loons, great-horned owls, and (sadly fictitious) dragons.

New Threads

Top Bottom