• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm new and looking for some information.

KevinBCN

Hello. I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and I have some doubts. For what I have read I know that AS is no longer in use and it has been put into the Autism Spectrum. My most important question is: am I autistic? If I am "in" this Autism Spectrum I am autistic? And if AS doesn't exist anymore what are people with AS now? Are we all autistic? High-funtioniong autistics and low-functioning autistics? Is AS high-functioning autism?
Your answers would be very helpful. Thank you.

Until recently I had been given the same impression. In the United States (and perhaps elsewhere) this seems to be true, what was Asperger's is now considered to be High Functioning Autism (HFA).

I'm in Canada, and last week was given papers regarding my upcoming diagnosis outlining the criteria for Asperger's syndrome and Asperger's disorder. Three days ago during an appointment with a psychiatrist (not the diagnosis session) he referred to Asperger's more than once, and although he didn't state that it was different than autism he did not use the terms interchangeably.

If I were you I would tend to regard Asperger's material as potentially applicable as well as HFA material. You likely know that we're not all possessed of the same characteristics, as with any material on the subject we must each use our judgement to decide what material applies to ourselves or to any other particular individual and what does not.

Mwahaha! Now I'm connected in only one degree of separation! :) Welcome Kevin.

Until recently I had been given the same impression. In the United States (and perhaps elsewhere) this seems to be true, what was Asperger's is now considered to be High Functioning Autism (HFA).

I'm in Canada, and last week was given papers regarding my upcoming diagnosis outlining the criteria for Asperger's syndrome and Asperger's disorder. Three days ago during an appointment with a psychiatrist (not the diagnosis session) he referred to Asperger's more than once, and although he didn't state that it was different than autism he did not use the terms interchangeably.

If I were you I would tend to regard Asperger's material as potentially applicable as well as HFA material. You likely know that we're not all possessed of the same characteristics, as with any material on the subject we must each use our judgement to decide what material applies to ourselves or to any other particular individual and what does not.

Thanks, MrSpock. Glad to get an answer from the the best character of Star Trek TOS, IMO.

I feel like I have Asperger traits my my friends and another lady who has aspie daughter says they don’t believe it. But ?I’m real talkative and make eye contact. But I can’t make lots of friends because I don’t like anything other people like. They are too boring,

Welcome Kevin!

I think Asperger's and HFA used to be two different things under the old system. Under the new system (under DSM V, at least), both of them and a bunch of other things (like PDD-NOS, which Isadoorian has listed in his signature) have been united together into the Autism Spectrum. There is a "severity" level system of 1,2,3 where most people who were Asperger's before would probably be considered level 1 or 2.

There is still a lot of negative connotations around the word autist/autistic/autism sadly, and a lot of people (and sometimes even doctors :rolleyes: ) don't understand the whole spectrum concept or maybe choose not to use it. Using the words Asperger's and Aspie is still very common practice even if it is no longer super official.

There is definitely no problem with referring to yourself with either term,you should say it however you are most comfortable with. As Ezra has indicated, some examples could be, but are not limited to: "I'm an Aspie", "I have autism", "I'm on the Spectrum", "I have ASD" , etc.

In my personal experience and the experience of several other level 2 people I've known, is that significant support is needed in everyday life. So there is that difference between level 1 and 2.

Also level 2 virtually always starts out with speech delay. Meaning a level 2 child starts talking well past the age they're supposed to start. So because of that and other developmental delays, level 2 autism is something that's usually diagnosed in early childhood.

Level 1 or Aspergers does not include speech delay. I believe that's true of PDD- NOS as well.

Thanks everyone for the answers. After read what you said I believe we must not feel ashame of what we are. If I'm autistic/have autism so be it.

I was diagnosed with 'long term moderate Asperger's disorder' in 2012 under the old DSM, but that was a matter of timing - if I had been assessed a year later, it probably would have been ASD level 1.

I believe that's true of PDD- NOS as well.
PDD, NOS can be anywhere on the spectrum. Under DSM-4, my ASD3 daughter was diagnosed PDD, NOS because she didn't fit better-defined diagnoses. (NOS means "Not Otherwise Specified.") She is pre-literate.

PDD, NOS can be anywhere on the spectrum. Under DSM-4, my ASD3 daughter was diagnosed PDD, NOS because she didn't fit better-defined diagnoses. (NOS means "Not Otherwise Specified.") She is pre-literate.

Okay thanks I wasn't sure about that.

New Threads

Top Bottom