• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm extremely outgoing when I join an unfamiliar environment

Tcx

Beginner.
V.I.P Member
I've been diagnosed ASD at 16 but at that moment I wasn't convinced and refused to admit I might be on the spectrum since I was confused by my behavior. As title says, I'm an extremely outgoing person full of energy in any kind of unfamiliar situation, especially new environment, meeting entirely new group members. While being in a new environment, I feel like everyone is cautious and it's a safety sign to me. I used to be ordered a class leader or team leader. I will be the one staring others all the time if we are strangers and be friendly to help others introduce themselves. On the contrary, I will be pretty shy when everyone knows each other better later. It's kinda awkward that I'm afraid of people who I know a bit more.
So the outgoing thing lasts mere 1-2 weeks. After that, I meltdown and become a 'chill' person called by my friends. I can only keep a good communication in that short period, including making friends. When time's up, everything collapses.
Nowadays I'm still being on this mode. Does anyone have similar experience?

Last edited:
I'm pretty good with first impressions stage - but I can't move into the bonding stage...and that's when people become less enamored of me. But as for being outgoing - I don't think you have to be withdrawn to have ASD - I think extraversion is also possible. But the effectiveness of the communication and social bonding matters. For me, I find the worst I have ever done have been in the situations where I thought I was being funny and outgoing - turns out I was being annoying and didn't know. :oops:

I used to be this way till I saw how utterly confusing it is when I can not keep it up. Now I try to be closed off from day 1. I would rather be the weird one, than have people get to know me and reject me, which happens a lot.

Same here, but i can't maintain it as long as you do, only a question of 2-3 hours.

I do it when flight is impossible and have to fight, ie as a result of an adrenaline boost.

My wife occasionally needs me to come to a social event with her. Mercifully it is not often. I can be funny, outgoing, energetic and sociable - but its all fake. I steal the show so i don't actually interact. My wife however knows i can only stay max 3 hours or things will start going really badly. I have a break off point where i get exhausted and the noise starts making me claustrophobic and i just have to leave. When i was younger and a lot of family members were getting married i was known as the guy who would go to the bathroom during wedding dinners and would just not come back. I'd not say bye to anyone, just leave and drive home. I have explained to her that my resistance to social events partially stems from coming over well during those 2-3 hours and then being asked to participate in new activities as a result.

The same happens at work, when i apply for a job the adrenaline makes me hyper and seen really energetic and motivated, which all disappears within a few weeks of starting a new job.

I am good at conversation when it is about things or concepts, i can talk forever about headphones, rc hell's, politics, ... as soon as a conversation switches to talking about kids, partners, friends, gossip, holidays, weekend trips, sports, ... i switch off, practically i degrade to 'uh huh' conversation, start thinking about something more interesting and start getting more and more annoyed the longer the conversation lasts.

I agree with ok rad, now i avoid the adrenaline boost, i've recently lost my job so now i am revisiting the entire way i approach work and people. This time it will be on my terms and i am willing to accept the consequences.

Last edited:
I'm pretty good with first impressions stage - but I can't move into the bonding stage...and that's when people become less enamored of me. But as for being outgoing - I don't think you have to be withdrawn to have ASD - I think extraversion is also possible. But the effectiveness of the communication and social bonding matters. For me, I find the worst I have ever done have been in the situations where I thought I was being funny and outgoing - turns out I was being annoying and didn't know. :oops:

The bonding stage of relationship cracked me up every single time. Others would demand that I should be kind and humorous to them as before(within 2 weeks, LOL) and even horribly be the one comforting them, giving them support. That is crazy since I've only acquainted with them 1-2 weeks ago. I often felt like they all turn into 'treat monsters' since they tried to dump their feelings to me asking comfort and exhausted my optimistic thinking. Those freaking smalltalk is just full of common negative conversation. They aren't even depressed.

I used to be this way till I saw how utterly confusing it is when I can not keep it up. Now I try to be closed off from day 1. I would rather be the weird one, than have people get to know me and reject me, which happens a lot.

I wasn't only be rejected but be shouted "Why do you cheat me and betray me?" several times even if I didn't know what actually happened.
Huh.

Same here, but i can't maintain it as long as you do, only a question of 2-3 hours.

I do it when flight is impossible and have to fight, ie as a result of an adrenaline boost.

My wife occasionally needs me to come to a social event with her. Mercifully it is not often. I can be funny, outgoing, energetic and sociable - but its all fake. I steal the show so i don't actually interact. My wife however knows i can only stay max 3 hours or things will start going really badly. I have a break off point where i get exhausted and the noise starts making me claustrophobic and i just have to leave. When i was younger and a lot of family members were getting married i was known as the guy who would go to the bathroom during wedding dinners and would just not come back. I'd not say bye to anyone, just leave and drive home. I have explained to her that my resistance to social events partially stems from coming over well during those 2-3 hours and then being asked to participate in new activities as a result.

The same happens at work, when i apply for a job the adrenaline makes me hyper and seen really energetic and motivated, which all disappears within a few weeks of starting a new job.

I am good at conversation when it is about things or concepts, i can talk forever about headphones, rc hell's, politics, ... as soon as a conversation switches to talking about kids, partners, friends, gossip, holidays, weekend trips, sports, ... i switch off, practically i degrade to 'uh huh' conversation, start thinking about something more interesting and start getting more and more annoyed the longer the conversation lasts.

I agree with ok rad, now i avoid the adrenaline boost, i've recently lost my job so now i am revisiting the entire way i approach work and people. This time it will be on my terms and i am willing to accept the consequences.

Adrenaline mode and new environment mode is two different concept to me. I feel comfortable with the latter. I'm willing to be active in brand-new social occasion. Yet I would abuse adrenaline boost when I must go to familiar events or something else.

New Threads

Top Bottom