• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm doing Niacin Therapy

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
Watch out, I'm medicinin' all up in here. :fearscream:

I suffered terribly with my Midlife Meltdown, and I didn't even know I was an Aspie. While it was a great relief to discover what was going on, and I am proud to be one, it was a bit of a shock to discover that medical science could do very little for me; even though I was in bad shape.

The best advice I got was from my long-suffering gem of a General Practitioner doctor here in the States. While he never could figure out what was going on (and I don't blame him: when a doctor looks at a middle-aged woman in the throes of a hellish menopause, someone with good eye contact, verbal fluency, and a job where she deals with the public, it's about the last thing he'd think.) He said I was under great stress, and anything I could do to address that stress would help me out. With this in mind, I improved my sleep, started stress management strategies, and discovered niacin.

Most people know it as Vitamin B3, and think all we need to do is take enough to ward off pellagra. When it is actually an amino acid and we need much more of it than the RDA: especially if we are under stress.

In fact, it can seem like it is the anti-stress vitamin.

I got a book, Niacin: The Real Story: Learn about the Wonderful Healing Properties of Niacin, which is a compendium of the work of several doctors in various fields. They all have long experience using niacin for all kinds of ailments, from PTSD to high cholesterol. They quote scientific papers. There's a lot of chemistry and biology explaining how it works.

I started using it for my sleep, and it did wonders. But once I got the book, I thought there might be some utility in going Full Metal Niacin. This is a therapeutic program of particular vitamins to support what is considered a high dose of niacin; the goal is 3g a day. That's six 500mg tablets of pure niacin.

Their recommended dosing schedule is: 1g of niacin, a B complex, and Vitamin C, three times a day with meals. But I ramped up to this! DO NOT start with this. It's not dangerous, but it will be uncomfortable.

When most people first take niacin, there's the flush. This is like being embarrassed while our skin is waking up and being all hot and itchy. It starts with the head and moves down the body. It's beneficial! It is breaking down histamine, opening up capillaries for better blood flow, and reducing body-wise inflammation. And it doesn't last all that long, several minutes. Then there's this lovely cool breeze of relaxation.

As we continue with niacin therapy, the flush disappears. I no longer have it! But it is a great feedback mechanism that helps us gauge our dosing and timing.

So I'm several days into it and I am already experiencing vivid dreams, deep sleep, a feeling of calm, lessened anxiety, and better blood sugar regulation. I will use this post to update my self-experimental journey.

I am so tired of feeling lousy. This intensive stress management is supposed to heal my body from the effects of stress, and help me cope with it better so I can actually get better, faster; instead of the glacial pace I've been dealing with.

And if anyone is wondering why this stress strategy isn't common knowledge -- they would be assuming our current medical professionals know all, aren't they? And if anyone should be skeptical of that, it's an Aspie.:D

I am surprised to see you say the effect disappears.

I take some Niacin every day and generally...every day get
a niacin rush. Now & then I don't. (warm, pink, super itchy)
I don't appreciate the 'cool off' though.

According to the book, if you are still flushing, you need more niacin.

That seems backwards, but ok, if that's
what it says in the book.

I have had people who knew nothing at all
about it say that I must be taking too much....
because I had a niacin rush.

I don't take advice from people who know
nothing, though.

Well, @tree , it's complicated :)

I will look up in such things in the book again about this situation. Also, it doesn't work for everyone.

One of the doctors was friends with Bill W, the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. While he had successfully controlled his alcohol problem, he still had anxiety and depression. After taking niacin therapy, within two weeks, he felt much better.

So he recruited thirty former alcoholics to also try it. By the end of the first month, ten of them felt much better. At the end of the second month, another ten felt much better.

But the last ten it didn't seem to work for. Which meant their problem wasn't that they weren't getting enough niacin.

I will be glad to check on this for you!

Just a word of warning.

If anyone has methylation cycle problems, like MTHFR, niacin can make it worse as is slows methylation. If that's the case you'll feel really bad, and energy will tank very rapidly.

It's actually used in cases of over methylation, like when you have too many methylation support vitamins.

40% of humans have mthfr, and it's more prevalent in the autistic I believe.

I couldn't take it, but now I've hacked my methylation cycle I'll try it again.

WereBear, I am also trying Niacin mega dosing at 3g per day, in addition to a handful of other vitamins and minerals for depression and anxiety. Mostly I follow Hoffer's orthomolecular routine. So far, I'm enjoying the flushing. No dramatic results yet but I'm only a week or two into it. I also take a b complex, magnesium citrate, selenium, D3 (used to have a deficiency and probably still do), zinc, and a few others I'm not remembering. I've had results with St. John's wort in the past, but I'm taking a generic now for 2 months with no results. I may try Sam-e if the orthomolecular route doesnt do as much as I'd hope. I'm glad to hear of your results with it! Keep us posted

Just a word of warning.

If anyone has methylation cycle problems, like MTHFR, niacin can make it worse as is slows methylation. If that's the case you'll feel really bad, and energy will tank very rapidly.

It's actually used in cases of over methylation, like when you have too many methylation support vitamins.

40% of humans have mthfr, and it's more prevalent in the autistic I believe.

I couldn't take it, but now I've hacked my methylation cycle I'll try it again.

That is very good to know, and could explain how it doesn't work in some people.

I've been tested: don't have it. My husband does, though.

Interesting. I take "B 100" which now is "Maxi B" or "Super B Complex." Dunno where you are; I am in the USA, Texas. I found this high strength B formulation by accident on my own decades ago. "B 100" had i100 IU's of everything. My current formulation only has 25 mg of Niacin.

The B 100 was supposedly good as a low-impact happy pill with no side effects. I took it to help circulation system function. It is also good [Vitamin B 1 ??] for discouraging mosquitoes. I take Vitamin D, a 2000 IU pill, twice a day because of a car radio infomercial. The two vitamin pills and 3 Fish Oil/Omega-3 capsules each day [my Doctor told me to take the Fish Oil] taken together have made a big difference in my overall health.

I buy my vitamins and fish oil "over the counter" and at the cheapest prices I can find.

Initially I was in trouble medically and physically. I began taking the B decades ago and added the D on my own at the same time I was told to take the Fish Oil.

Collectively the effect was to improve my health almost immediately, major change in a few weeks and continued slow improvement over several years. I now take these vitamins as a maintenance regimen. I am quite old and also take a half-dozen prescription meds to regulate my heart and other things.

Until I saw this thread I had not been aware of any serious therapeutic use of a B vitamin. Thank you for your posts and for creating this thread.

Just a word of warning.

This would certainly explain why it does not work for some of the population! Worth repeating because bad feedback does have an important purpose when we are experimenting on ourselves.

Mr WereBear has MTFHR issues, and takes methyl-B12 and methyl-folate. I did not know about B3 (niacin) but then, I've often seen how what does wonders for me does not do much for him, and vice versa.

Yay for genetic diversity.

Until I saw this thread I had not been aware of any serious therapeutic use of a B vitamin. Thank you for your posts and for creating this thread.

D3 and fish oil are valuable additions to any health regimen. I eat a lot of fatty fish and take D3 with K2. Even if someone lives in a warm and sunny area year-round, which I do not, the ability to make D from sunlight tends to decrease with age.

There's also some evidence that autistics have an increased need for D3.

Vitamin D Council | Autism and vitamin D

So if autistics need it more, it could explain why supplementation can help with symptoms. I know I noticed when I started taking it: improved mood and immune system response.

Just got word from a close relative and an online friend that they are starting it, too. So I should have more feedback to share.

@tree , I must be honest and tell you I don't know what is going on :)

Apparently with niacin, "If it feels good, do it" is sound advice :) I have seen too many suggested regimens pushed past a person's comfort zone under the cloak of "detoxing" when it is actually doing the person harm. If your current intake is working for you, great, but it doesn't mean what I'm doing is right for you.

I also take a b complex, magnesium citrate, selenium, D3 (used to have a deficiency and probably still do), zinc, and a few others I'm not remembering.

Great lineup, and recommended in the book. I ADORE magnesium; I used chelated.

PRO-TIP: Do not take magnesium in its raw form; you want it absorbed, not telling your intestines to get rowdy.

You want chelated, or citrate, or even soaking in a warm bath with Epsom salts. This is why, back in the day, people went to "cure" in hot springs, and sometimes got one. Magnesium is vital for over 300 processes in the body, and most people seem to be low.

it was a bit of a shock to discover that medical science could do very little for me; even though I was in bad shape.

Did you try conventional antidepressants? I have tried several with mixed results, mostly on the negative end. That is why I have been trying several alternative remedies.

Did you try conventional antidepressants? I have tried several with mixed results, mostly on the negative end. That is why I have been trying several alternative remedies.

Once, Gabapentin; the others have contraindications for me. It stopped working two weeks after it made me feel kinda better. Then my doctor gave me a year and a half tapering schedule to stop taking it. Then, during my diagnosis, the doctor explained that this indicated psychiatric medication in general would probably not work for me; I had already decided this route was absolutely not one I wanted to explore.

And, FYI, I tapered off in about four months instead of the 18 months, because I used chelated magnesium to ward off the side effects. Which were flippin' considerable: coming off could randomly make my mood drop like a watermelon down an elevator shaft.

Bit of magnesium: all was well again.

I have MTHFR, too. Niacin did no good but I have been taking B6. That does seem to help a little. Magnesium, yes, that helps.

Nothing really helps. I have had autism for too long and it cut a such huge swath in so much of my life that now I have no life to speak of. If they could fix me now, I would still be in utter poverty, facing homelessness.

So what good is it to feel better now? It's too late to get a meaningful job in a position that would bring worth to my life. At some point, the collateral damage from autism outweighs any benefit of seeking a cure or even feeling better.

To me, it does not matter either way now. If I ended my life, it would be no tragedy. In fact, the people in my life would truly be better off. I never understood that until I became a true burden. Now I get it.

Don't bother saying every life has value. When you are a burden and a lost cause with no way out and in daily misery, well, "Every Life Has Value" becomes a farcical meme , set in motion by someone who was feeling guilty about their happy life.

I have MTHFR, too. Niacin did no good but I have been taking B6. That does seem to help a little. Magnesium, yes, that helps.

Nothing really helps. I have had autism for too long and it cut a such huge swath in so much of my life that now I have no life to speak of. If they could fix me now, I would still be in utter poverty, facing homelessness.

So what good is it to feel better now? It's too late to get a meaningful job in a position that would bring worth to my life. At some point, the collateral damage from autism outweighs any benefit of seeking a cure or even feeling better.

To me, it does not matter either way now. If I ended my life, it would be no tragedy. In fact, the people in my life would truly be better off. I never understood that until I became a true burden. Now I get it.

Don't bother saying every life has value. When you are a burden and a lost cause with no way out and in daily misery, well, "Every Life Has Value" becomes a farcical meme , set in motion by someone who was feeling guilty about their happy life.

Your depression colors your perception of your value though. I'm sure many people would be affected by your absence, including many many people here. Be gentle with yourself, you deserve it. There are innumerable remedies for depression. Its tiring trying them again and again but you must have hope that something will work, because it IS inevitable that you will at least feel ok. Don't lose hope!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom