• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm doing a 2 week retail course from the 14th of May

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

At The Source, near Sheffield's Meadowhall Shopping Centre.

I didn't think I'd get on this course about 10 years ago I did a placement through The Source which ended on a bit of a sour note, and about 5 years ago I had an interview with them to go back on their employment course which also didn't go well, as they were very critical of my short fuse and other issues so I kind of "hit the roof" as it were and stormed out of the meeting.

Fortunately it seems they're no longer holding a grudge as they've let me come on the 2 week course from the 14th.

Only thing is, I kind of already have 2 NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) certificates in retail which I did from 19 to 21 at Sheffield College, but I suppose 23 years later they might not be valid and need updating.

Best of luck, Rich. I have a short fuse for stupidity so I get you. I am in dire straits now for work so I am just going to suck it up. Off to the local movie theater I go to apply for work.

Best of luck, Rich!
Maybe try to practice some breathing exercises before you go, to help you regain control if your temper does flare up.

@Rich Allen, Both of us are about to have an adventure of some sort. I may end up flipping burgers at McD's or tearing ticket stubs at the local Regal Cinemas but may both of us find productive work. :)

mTurns out I might not be able to commit to the course, it's a 3 week course and I can only commit to 2 weeks and even that would upset social services due to the funding for my Digital Arts course 2 mornings a week.

And in the current Political climate of the government wanting to sanction the pants off everybody, we don't want to lose the funding.

Last edited:
Turns out I might not be able to comit to the course, it's a 3 week course and I can only commit to 2 weeks and even that would upset social services due to the funding for my Digital Arts course 2 mornings a week.

And in the current Political climate of the government wanting to sanction the pants off everybody, we don't want to lose the funding.
I guess there is no way you could get an exemption. It's only 1 week longer. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Turns out I might not be able to comit to the course, it's a 3 week course and I can only commit to 2 weeks and even that would upset social services due to the funding for my Digital Arts course 2 mornings a week.

Yes, if that's stops you it really is BS, don't they want you to help yourself get a job? I would definitely ask and if there was a way get them to put it in writing just in case they deny giving you permission on a later date, you never know with them.

Best of luck!

I guess there is no way you could get an exemption. It's only 1 week longer. Doesn't hurt to ask.

They're already complaining about missing 2 weeks, so a third week and we'd have butt hurt Social workers to contend with.

Some woman called Sue was supposed to be ringing me at Mum and Dad's yesterday afternoon after she'd spoken to her Boss about it, so much for that! I officially give up, every time I want to do something, the system fouls it up.

Last edited:
They're already complaining about missing 2 weeks, so a third week and we'd have butt hurt Social workers to contend with.

Some woman called Sue was supposed to be ringing me at Mum and Dad's yesterday afternoon afternoon after she'd spoken to her Boss about it, so much for that! I officially give up, every time I want to do something, the system fouls it up.
I'd be thinking about contacting you local MP for help because this is ridiculous, MPs even have surgeries and they can be very influential. You can find out details of your local MP by using the link below and entering your postcode.

MPs

If local council services are involved as in this case, E.g. social services, then getting your local councillor on your side could make a huge difference, if an elected member (councillor) asks employees of the council to jump including senior management, they will usually ask "how high", I used to work for a local council so I know. The link below can help you find out and contact your local councillor.

Find your local councillors - GOV.UK

If your local MP and/or councillor is from a political party that you don't support, please don't let that stop you asking them for help, it shouldn't make too much of a difference as far as them helping you in this situation.

You could even give your story to the local newspaper, but I know you may feel uncomfortable doing this. If you featured in an article about the system blocking you with every aspect towards getting a job, then you'd almost certainly get opportunities come to you. Many local newspapers have offices you can drop into to see if they'd be interested.

Finally whatever you do don't give up and let the system win, you will get there in the end and I have a lot of respect for you for trying so hard.

Last edited:
I'd be thinking about contacting you local MP for help because this is ridiculous, MPs even have surgeries and they can be very influential. You can find out details of your local MP by using the link below and entering your postcode.

MPs

If local council services are involved, E.g. social services, then getting your local councillor on your side could make a huge difference, if a councillor asks the council to jump, they will usually say "how high". The link below can help you find out and contact your local councillor.

Find your local councillors - GOV.UK

If your local MP and/or councillor is from a political party that you don't support, don't let that stop you asking them for help, it shouldn't have that much of a difference as far as them helping you.

You could even give your story to the local newspaper, but I know you may feel uncomfortable doing this. If you featured in an article about the system blocking you with every aspect towards getting a job, then you'd almost certainly get opportunities come to you. Many local newspapers have offices you can drop into to see if they'd be interested.

Finally whatever you do don't give up and let the system win, you will get there in the end and I have a lot of respect for you for trying so hard.

I contacted my local MP last week about something else, and then I Tweeted him yesterday to see if he'd got the message and he says he'll be in touch.

As of this morning I'm not doing the course, because it interferes with the funding for my Digital Media course from the Socials.

They told me and I was like, WTF?! I was perfectly willing to give up 2 weeks of the Digital Media course to get a qualification in retail, what's the problem? Oh yeah, butt hurt social workers who don't want to spend money on me yet the government are literally falling over themselves to give money hand over fist to people who don't deserve it...

Jesus wept.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom