• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm bad at titles

Greyh0und

Hello everyone! Y'all can call me Grey until I work up the courage to give out my real name.

I'm 17 years old and have been recently 'diagnosed' at a therapy session. I've been researching since, and have ended up here, hoping that this may be an easier way to find what I'm looking for!

As a coping measure, I tend to disassociate with emotional news, and my diagnosis is one of them. I'm not sure how I feel about this very late and slightly confusing diagnosis.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

upload_2018-11-10_23-11-55.png

I was also "diagnosed" in therapy! We couldn't pursue a formal diagnosis at first because *LONG STORY* and then I couldn't because my parents are special, and then there was no point after that! Yay us!

I love your quote in your thing "New and unimproved." :D

Your name and icon are confusing....Are you a dog (as your name Greyhound suggests) or a cat (like your picture suggests.....and like me)? Either way, Welcome! :)

Hi Grey! Cute avatar.
So you think you are a late bloomer. I was in my 50's before anyone let me in on the secret.

I once read an article about an autistic teenage boy in Reader's Digest. It was written by his mother who asked him the question, "What does it mean to be autistic?" He explained it very well by replying that it meant he could do some things better than other people and other people could do some things better than him. If you think about it for a minute, isn't that generally the definition of a unique individual human being?

Nothing really to be scared or emotional or confused about, as you'll learn here. Welcome to the club!

I feel like any disorder, disease, mental illness, etc. could be described with a simplification to that extent and it would describe all people.

Depression: "Sometimes I'm sad."
Bipolar: "Sometimes I'm happy and sometimes I'm sad."
Generalized Anxiety: "I feel anxious sometimes."

I could go on, but the point is obvious.

My favorite quote from my favorite movie, Girl, Interrupted is, "Mental illness is me and you, amplified."

But I know what you mean and understand your intention, so I hope I don't come off as too combative about it. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom