• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had to pick one musical artist...

AutistAcolyte

you had to pick one that you think you've listened to consistently or the most, who do you think it would be?

i'm thinking about it because i'm currently listening to what i guess is my all-time favorite band, The Chariot. i've listened to them on and off, but mostly on, since about middle school. i go through lots of different genres and artists all the time, i love finding new music and listen to music very often, but i find i always come back to The Chariot.

theyre one of the first bands i started listening to when i started listening to more than just oldies/classic rock that my dad likes, and i listened to them in middle school, high school, college, and grad school, and i'm still listening to them now!

i saw them in Tampa, FL on their farewell tour, and i like every song they made. now i just have a playlist that's their entire discography, and i'll listen to it all the way through on repeat.

do you have one artist that you listen to the most?

If we're talking about a group that I've listened to the most, in my entire life, then it would probably be my most favorite band, Nirvana.

If you are wondering who I have listened to the most, as of late, then it would be the Orthodox Monks of The Valam Monastery.

If you want to hear my favorite song on this video, go to 6:03.

The whole thing is just lovely though. Sensory and holy.

Last edited:
According to Last.fm, it's Phoenix, a folk rock/prog folk band from Romania. But that's because for a period of about a year, I was obsessively listening to them and clocked up over 8,000 scrobbles.

Most consistently when I was a few years younger, Barry Manilow.
Personal reasons. I knew of him before he was known as Manilow.
Real name Barry Alan Pincus.
I did website work for his original Fan Club online. Made several drawings of him when he was young for the Club Banners.
Still have a small following on Facebook.
Knew most of his hits by memory as I did parties and Karaoke featuring his songs.

He always said he was like anchovies. You either love him or hate him.

Lately I listen to Enya quite a bit. Have that entire collection also.

4c40.jpg
Baby Barry with Grandfather.

It's a very harsh question, like asking someone to choose between their children. Maybe that's not such a good analogy, my father had no trouble choosing. :)

I listen to so much music, there is one where I wouldn't say I had listened to them more but that they always had more of a special meaning to me than others. The Little River Band.

They were also a local band, the lead guitarist Glen Shorrock was a civil engineer working in the town planning department of one of our local councils, my Mum worked with him.

you had to pick one that you think you've listened to consistently or the most, who do you think it would be?

i'm thinking about it because i'm currently listening to what i guess is my all-time favorite band, The Chariot. i've listened to them on and off, but mostly on, since about middle school. i go through lots of different genres and artists all the time, i love finding new music and listen to music very often, but i find i always come back to The Chariot.

theyre one of the first bands i started listening to when i started listening to more than just oldies/classic rock that my dad likes, and i listened to them in middle school, high school, college, and grad school, and i'm still listening to them now!

i saw them in Tampa, FL on their farewell tour, and i like every song they made. now i just have a playlist that's their entire discography, and i'll listen to it all the way through on repeat.

Eric Clapton

Probably the Chakra group from the early 80s just because I've yet to remove a single track of theirs from any playlist like I have other music over the years so it still comes on occasionally. They only have 3 albums and they're not even long but all their songs carry the kind of iconic catchy identity that usually only select hits do for the average pop group. Just super inventive blend of styles across their work and not afraid to step out of the ordinary to make something land. This track especially is always such an experience to listen all the way through.

Joni Mitchell, if I can only choose one. Ryuichi Sacamoto, Chopin, Christian Scott and the band, Genesis (their earlier work) for close seconds. There are a few more.

Last edited:
thanks, everyone! it's fun to see what people listen to. i think learning someone's favorite music provides a really interesting perspective.

i liked being able to click the videos in your responses, and realized i never linked one for mine! here's one of my favorite songs by The Chariot:

It would probably have to be Michael Jackson. When we used to vacation in Vermont, the house we stayed at had a record player and records. They had an early Jackson 5 album there, and we listened to it a few times (that was back when I was 5, and that’s when I learned that the Jackson 5 was a real group and not just cartoon characters). When I was in 3rd Grade and my sister was in 6th Grade, she asked for the “Off the Wall” album for her birthday (which was his latest then). Then that year for Chanukah I was given a copy of his “Superstar Series” compilation album of his early solo work (before then I didn’t realize that the adult Michael Jackson and the child Michael Jackson who sang in the Jackson 5 were the same person). Eventually my sister gave her album to me. Then when “Thriller” became popular, I got a copy and jumped on the bandwagon. Around that time there were biographies about him being published and a compilation albums of his early work with the Jackson 5 being released, and that got me interested in his earlier work. I eventually started collecting albums by the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons, as well as Michael’s early solo albums. I was rarely disappointed with what I got. When some people saw my record collection and how many Jackson albums I had (cassettes, too), they were astonished.

My favourite composer for years was J.S. Bach. I listened to his works--almost all of them--for repeat in the course of a decade or so.

Tbh that idea is very unlike me.

I have found over time that it is rare that I like more then 1 song by any artist/band. And I have tried quite a bit. I find a song I like, and the rest tends to sound similar or just doesn't awake my interest. I suspect that I need something new/original unlike anything I have heard before to awaken the interest.

So if I find one in passing, somehow, I generally think 'Oh I got lucky' and won't investigate the band further.

I speak mainly of modern music. Rock, Jazz, various Folk, etc.

Classical is different and I can listen to actively or passively in backround. I have probably listened to classical more then any other type time-wise. Hard to be sure since much of the time it is classical radio, But I think one composer I can be sure to never dislike the song is...

beethoven.jpg

That's tough. I have a lot (dozens?) of artists that I've listened to about equally. A long time ago, it would have been the Beatles.

Mine is Kawai Sprite and Pinkpantheress, two specific artists that I've enjoyed and remembered the most of for the past three years. Everything else is just exploration, and too broad to cover. These are the main two that have inspired and influenced me the most, while also being unique and distinct :) <3

New Threads

Top Bottom