• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could design a training

Berianireth

I'm a student and teacher at a university that is creating a sensitivity training specifically for educating people on how to be good allies to the disabled community. Neurodiversity is supposed to be lumped into this training. I am on the committee creating it. What resources in terms of books and articles would you say are a must?

Sharing the research you’ve studied to date, being open with your ideas and designs and not using words like “lumped” when discussing neurodiversity in a literal community would be a great start.
:)

Try to remember who you’re asking for advice.
Your post is coming across as it being a cumbersome chore to create training in sensitivity towards neurodiversity

Last edited:
I would include the book Neuro Tribe as a must read to have an understanding of autism. If people sincerely want to understand our struggles, that book will lay it out. There is no excuse for autism to be so misunderstood to date, but the Neuro Tribes makes sense of even that. Thank you for asking for our input.

I'd think the success of such an appeal will depend on your ability to reach your target audience. Something that requires both the right message, but also the right delivery.

As someone on the spectrum of autism, I could go on and on about the Autism Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) as a primary resource as far as "the right message" goes. In which you may also choose to effectively debate any notion that all people on the spectrum of autism are inherently "disabled". With an intention to create the best foundation for us to be treated as allies rather than as inferiors in such an endeavor.

However it strikes me as being illogical to expect a Neurodiverse community to successfully elaborate on the most optimal manner in which to deliver such a message to a Neurotypical audience for their feedback. Acknowledging that given the neurological divide, the delivery of such a message is every bit as critical as the message itself. So you need to solicit that Neurotypical audience accordingly for the other half of this equation.

Autistic Self Advocacy Network

Last edited:
Get at least one Actually Autistic to speak to your group. Stay away from Autism Speaks.

Well, one other than the OP who has posted in the past that they are on the spectrum.

Yeah, if there was ever a benchmark of what not to say or do, that would refer to Autism Speaks. But then they continue to appear as advocates to Neurotypical parents rather than their Neurodiverse children. Definitely not a source to rely on in whole or in part, IMO when it comes to "the message" itself.

Last edited:
Check out Temple Grandin's website. The main page has some great observations on how differently people can think. Specifically, she calls thinking in terms of visual , math patterns (definitely me!), and words. I also know that some people can learn by reading or hearing a lecture, but others learn by doing. A good teacher should be able to teach to different types of thinking and understanding.

Generic thoughts:
1. If someone is using a cane or a wheelchair or other device, keep your hands off of our auxiliary aids. We consider them to be an extension of ourselves. If you feel you have to touch them, ask first.

2. Autism is a 3d circle or spectrum, not a straight line.

3. The words "high functioning " and "low functioning " tell you zero about our problems and strengths.

4. Various communities prefer different language:
Developmentally disabled or delayed ... say "people with Intellectual disabilities"

TBI or traumatic brain injury: TBI survivors...not "person w a TBI."

Deaf community: Deaf or Deafened.

Autistic Community: we are Autistic.

[Autism community means parents and professionals who are into ABA, blaming vaccines, wanting to "fight autism, "eliminate autism" or make us conform to the behavior of our non-autistics peers].

"Dwarfs" ...say Little People.

Mental health or behavioral health: some use mental illness, others use mental health challenges. Some use mad pride.

Blind: Blind. Not "people with blindness".

You don't say "children with giftedness" so most of the Disabled and Neurodiverse Communities prefer identity first language, in spite of what textbooks and professionals claim.

When speaking to an individual, ask what language they prefer. I prefer that you call me China and I am an Autistic, I am NOT "a person with" anything.

Language matters.

5. Killing your offspring because they are Autistic is real. It happens.

6. Ableist is a thing. Do not assume that any humans fit into boxes. Please research ableism. In order to understand disability, you also have to understand ableism.

7. Presume competence.

I recommend the Disabilities Studies Quarterly. It is online and it is free.
Disability Studies Quarterly
dsq dash sds dot org.

OP you are on the Spectrum? Cool.

I don't suppose you can tell your audience things like:
Eye contact is cultural. In Japan [I heard that] eye contact is a sign of disrespect.
Or:
It is not the autism that is disabling. It is the xenophobic society that we live in that manufactures our disability.

Yes, I'm on the spectrum. I've found myself in the interesting but unfortunate position of being the poster child for ASDs at my University...only to find most of the people I advocate for are nothing like me.

New Threads

Top Bottom