• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If I wasn't aspie could I learn to drive? I hate taxis.

GrownupGirl

Tempermental Artist
I'm really really sick of having to take taxis everywhere all the time. I hate how long they take to arrive, how badly they drive, and how they can't find their way out of a paper bag. The bus is even worse, which is why I switched to going by cab in the first place. The bus stops are too far apart, the bus schedules are also insanely far apart, the driver doesn't wait for you to sit down before starting up again and I'm lucky I don't lose my balance and fall down. And take two or three people down with me if the bus is so crowded I'm forced to stand, anyway. I'm so sick of it. Why can't I learn to drive like other people my age have known to do since they were in their teens? I have a bad fear and dislike of cars in general, they always seem to come right at me when I walk anywhere. I hate that they have to be such a necessary evil. I hate how dangerous they are, the pollution they cause, and the way they just seem to turn people into idiots whenever they get behind the wheel. But I also hate the lack of freedom and independence you have if you can't drive. I hate that they are such a necessary evil.
Is it all really because I'm aspie that I can't drive? If I somehow was no longer aspie would I be able to get a decent job and make money, learn how to drive and get a car?

There are plenty of people who aren't aspies who can't drive for one reason or another. I don't see that hating every possible mode of transportation is going to solve any of your problems. Bus drivers aren't acting the way they do just to annoy you, and cab drivers are pretty much the same wherever you go. Since the world isn't going to change for you, you might consider changing your attitude.

I have a bad fear and dislike of cars in general, they always seem to come right at me when I walk anywhere. I hate that they have to be such a necessary evil. I hate how dangerous they are, the pollution they cause, and the way they just seem to turn people into idiots whenever they get behind the wheel. But I also hate the lack of freedom and independence you have if you can't drive. I hate that they are such a necessary evil.

I feel the exact same way about cars. For the longest time when I lived in a city I didn't need a car and took the bus and metro everywhere. When I moved to where I live now I had to drive again. Definitely a necessary thing for independence. I'm also an aspie as is my husband and we both drive, I don't like it all that much but I do it. For me the car is important in winter, when it's too cold to walk. Still have vivid memories of how cold it was to wait sometimes thirty minutes for a bus. So it's not something I miss now that I'm older.

A car horn will startle me, a cyclist, construction noise, pedestrians, a loud car or truck will distract me. Can hear things inside the car that are as loud as outside it. There are advantages though such as not having to carry heavy groceries home in your arms, heavy items are easier to buy and bring home in a car. Everything is quicker and an added bonus is that you can move further away from a noisy city center to somewhere quieter, as a result of owning a car.

You can if you decide to, drive. Had to take the driving course again at fifty-five, to pass the driver's test. As it had been thirty years since I'd had a license. If I've been able to do it, I'm certain most people can.

I'm an Aspie and have driven practically everything with wheels. I was an over-the-road trucker for several years and have raced both cars and motorcycles, so being an Aspie shouldn't stop you from driving. I agree with @Catana about the world not changing for you.

If you're able, you might want to consider lessons. Something else that can help is to spend time just sitting in a car and getting acclimated to the environment of one. My friends' daughter is on the spectrum, so they bought her a golf cart to learn the mechanics of driving around their farm. There are many ways to learn the fundamentals until you're comfortable enough to get out in traffic.
Being an aspie does not necessarily preclude you from learning to drive a car. Like @Sportster, I think I've driven just about every vehicle that has wheels and tires: From a motorcycle to a truck with double trailers. It took me a little while longer to learn to drive and be comfortable with it. Similarly, you might not grasp it right away but if you keep doing, you'll eventually become comfortable.

UGH, doubles!!! I hated messing with doubles. Drop the back trailer, move the con gear and front, hook up again, etc, etc. The only things I haven't pulled are livestock and liquid tanker.
Oh forget trying to do livestock. I pulled a liquid tanker once for a friend. I just moved it 50 miles. Talk about a hairy situation ... the side to side and front to back surge of liquid is frightening. It's a good thing I left myself plenty of stopping distance. You can feel the front to back surge wanting to push you into an intersection at a red light.

I've also driven about everything. I was married to a truck driver and was with him on the truck for a while and drove some, but only on the highway. I worked at a bus factory for a short time and would drive school buses through somewhat of a tight maze through the building. Motorcycle and my car is standard transmission. :) And when I was young I did not want to learn to drive either and was 18 before I started driving.

I drive, too. Learned on a stick shift!

If I was not Aspie, I would be........I don't even know

I drive, but never have been comfortable with it.
As you said, just a necessary evil.
The only reason I have read some Aspies don't like or won't drive is due to anxiety and concentration
difficulties.
Those are mine, too.
I can never really relax driving and have a hard time fighting off panic attacks sometimes over driving.
Concentration is another. My mind runs away with itself and I'm always seeing something that attracts
my attention while driving.
Put on that 80's rock. Always helps me.

I've never heard of a link between AS and an aversion to cars or driving. It sounds more like a kind of unrelated phobia if I'm honest.
I drive out of necessity but my life just wouldn't function without a car. I have mobility problems so I can't walk far and standing on a bus if I couldn't get a seat would be agonising after a few minutes. Public transport where I am is pitiful anyway.
If you can get past your feelings and can learn to be a confident, conscientious driver it would open up so many new opportunities for you. Just being able to get in your car and go somewhere when YOU want rather than when the bus timetable lets you is a freedom few would want to give up.

There are aspies who can drive.
There are aspies who can't drive.

There are NTs who can drive.
There are NTs who can't drive.

Learning to drive isn't easy whatever your neurology, it takes a lot of time, patience and, usually, money. It's normal to be nervous the first time, and a good, well-trained intructor will know how to put you at ease. It gets easier with practice. I suggest you look into that, perhaps write to a driving school, tell them about your fears and ask them how they can help you overcome them. They should help you. Try to find an instructor with experience of dealing with people on the spectrum.

The link I've put below might be a useful page to read. It's from the NAS in the UK so the test details will be different from what you'll expect in Canada, but it's got some useful advice and points out a few things to think about.

Driving - National Autistic Society

I don't think being on the spectrum precludes you from driving... As others have said, there are many Aspies and NTs who don't drive and plenty who do... While it is somewhat harder to learn with age, it is possible, I only got my license at 28. I learned manual transmission, which is probably why it took quite a number of years to learn as body coordination is an issue, but, it's possible. I wanted to give up many, MANY times, but I'm glad I didn't. I am still a bit scared of cars, but, once I'm in my Golf, I actually do feel pretty safe!

What helped was having a wonderful driving instructor who saw that I learned in a different way and was always very patient and tried to explain things in numerous ways until it clicked. So if you want to learn, having an understanding instructor and not being scared to ask questions when you don't understand is probably the way to do it. :)

I don't drive but a combination of my bicycle and public transport gets me everywhere. Though I realize I'm lucky to live in a place with good public transport and safe bike paths.

Like others have said, there are many reasons a person might not be able to drive....so not having an ASD wouldn't guarantee anything.

I have problems with driving and don't have a license, but in my case I think that's more because of ADHD and lack of opportunities for sufficient practice, rather than anything to do with autism.

I can't even play driving games because I can't control them, so I'd be hopeless with a real car.

Also, in 2003, I was turned down by the DVLA in the UK for a P license because they said because of my disabilities I wouldn't be able to control a vehicle, and because I used to have temper issues back then, they said I'd be a candidate for "Road Rage".

I completely understand why you relate being aspie with not being able to drive. It's hard enough just going out with all the noises and lights and flashes of cars speeding by. We are nervous about doing new things and there are so many things we have to be in control of. I do remember when I first started driving and it was frustrating - you have to quickly remember where the dinner switch is, turn signals, wipers on top of steering and controlling the car. You have to know how to use the brake pedal and gas pedal and steering wheel correctly - and I used to be terrible at driving those little race cars at amusement parks, mine were constantly hitting this side then that. I think that's one reason I was afraid of driving because I thought it'd be like that. Plus paying attention to everything going around you. It feels like too much for an aspie.
Go to an empty parking lot or something and feel it out. It isn't as scary as the thought of doing it. And the more you drive, the more comfortable you are with it.
I'll never forget the first time my mom made me drive. Not only was I afraid to drive, but I was high and couldn't tell her. lol

I'm certainly magnitudes better with a cart than in driving games, maybe because I get much better feedback

Lots of people even choose not to drive, and depending on when and where you drive traffic can also move rather slowly... Having to get around is just part of life... Depending on where you live, if it's a large population area, public transit will often be crowded, just the way it is...

Also, owning a car is expensive, after the purchase price, the cost of insurance, and of gas, plus repairs of all sorts, I just spent almost $700 on tires for my car, if I just took the bus it would be a simple $100 transaction of a bus/transit pass but then as you say, trips take much longer

On an average weekend morning I can run multiple errands with my car, where taking the bus might take me a good chunk of the day.

But there is also another option that is becoming far more common in large cities, people who use a bicycle to get around, and some of those people don't even own a car.

New Threads

Top Bottom